Kraton Castle 1717 1650kv motor is amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I installed the Castle MMX 8s ESC with 1717 1650 motor with 18T pinion last week, but it has been too cold or snowy to run it other than on the work stand. Today was the first day I was able to get it outside for a quick five-minute run. This 1650kv motor has some serious power - just for grins I mashed the trigger quickly, and my Kraton 6s did a reverse backflip from a complete stop onto the top of the vehicle. And this was only on 4s! Thankfully, this happened on grass so nothing got damaged. I can foresee at least a 20T pinion sometime in the future to tame the Kraton a bit, especially if I decide to run 6s.

My fist upgrade in my Infraction,I will go back to it at some point,the app for castle is amazing for tuning and brack control on the run
I have the ESC programmed to use the aux wire for braking, but I'm not sure what hitting the switch for that channel actually does. I'll fool around with it when it gets warmer: 20-30F days aren't conducive to testing and making changes.

I'm running either 24 or 25. And it's nuts. Haven't had temps above 130 yet. It's nice combo.
Thanks for the input about the gearing. 22T will likely be the maximum size of pinion I'll run due to the area I normally run in. I plan on trying 6s when the weather gets warmer: I have a set of similar 3s batteries (same brand, mAh rating, and number of charge cycles) that should work great for my Kraton.

Ran mine on 23T and 6S first time today. Thing goes like crazy bananas! Didn't crash it. The power and control was amazing, phenomenal. It absolutely was worth it, there is no question. Belted katars held up even with a few full throttle runs. It did get warm, maybe 130f-140f? It was a minute or two before I measured the temps but I really flogged it good and am happy with the temps.

1717 installed.jpg

Went for another rip, the sound is just incredible ssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH chuchukoookoookoookooo
the rubber ripping itself apart as it flies past
It's awesome on the Talion the way I have it setup because it doesn't back flip or traction roll - they would on the racing tires, but not on the stockers

Temps are still good on this COLD AF DAY

Went for another rip, the sound is just incredible ssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH chuchukoookoookoookooo
the rubber ripping itself apart as it flies past
It's awesome on the Talion the way I have it setup because it doesn't back flip or traction roll - they would on the racing tires, but not on the stockers

Temps are still good on this COLD AF DAY
I'm hoping I don't have to use a fan when it gets warmer. If I do, I have a fan mount and 40mm PowerHobby Tornado fan in reserve. :giggle: I'm currently running an 18T pinion, but I have a 20T pinion on order. That should be enough for the small area I have to run in.

I ran My Kraton 6s today on two Zeee 3s 5000mAh 50C batteries, but it wasn't much faster than on the Spektrum 4s 5000mAh 100C battery I keep in it most of the time. I'm hoping the 20T pinion will give me just the right amount of speed I need. Based on the recommendations on the forum, I'm considering purchasing a single Yowoo 6s 5000mAh 100C graphene battery, as soon as my wallet recovers from other RC vehicle upgrades.

Last edited:
I have 2 each of the gens-ace-r-spam Bashing 3s 6800mA 120c and 3S 8000mA 100c batteries and really enjoy the run time and how the car reacts with them vs the smaller Lectron 3s 5200mA 50c batteries I have. Well worth the money for good batteries.

I'm hoping I don't have to use a fan when it gets warmer. If I do, I have a fan mount and 40mm PowerHobby Tornado fan in reserve. :giggle: I'm currently running an 18T pinion, but I have a 20T pinion on order. That should be enough for the small area I have to run in.

I ran My Kraton 6s today on two Zeee 3s 5000mAh 50C batteries, but it wasn't much faster than on the Spektrum 4s 5000mAh 100C battery I keep in it most of the time. I'm hoping the 20T pinion will give me just the right amount of speed I need. Based on the recommendations on the forum, I'm considering purchasing a single Yowoo 6s 5000mAh 100C graphene battery, as soon as my wallet recovers from other RC vehicle upgrades.
I have a whole 12v fan setup on standby but if I don't need it I'm not using it. Having a blast at 23t, looking for a smaller spur gear now lol

I have 2 each of the gens-ace-r-spam Bashing 3s 6800mA 120c and 3S 8000mA 100c batteries and really enjoy the run time and how the car reacts with them vs the smaller Lectron 3s 5200mA 50c batteries I have. Well worth the money for good batteries.
Need to find better batteries too. I have 4 of the spektrum smart batts, and 4 bangood ZOP power, but I'm not impressed with either. They are only marginal, very decent, just not high performance.

*edit and I'm too anal about battery maintenance to use all the smart features of the smart batteries, but they are fantastic for newbies.

@Moirae why the angry face? I know the vid was lame but geez! :ROFLMAO:
haha because I love the way castle system sounds in my talion and that video hurt my soul!!

Real castle system in talion that doesn't sound like an alien spaceship!! well tbh I guess it kind of does but it's a cooler alien spaceship =D

haha because I love the way castle system sounds in my talion and that video hurt my soul!!

Real castle system in talion that doesn't sound like an alien spaceship!! well tbh I guess it kind of does but it's a cooler alien spaceship =D
I think you misunderstood what I meant by irritating. The video was irritating not the sound of the motor. The GoPro was in the waterproof case so sound quality kinda sucked.
I could listen to the castle motor all day! (y)

I think you misunderstood what I meant by irritating. The video was irritating not the sound of the motor. The GoPro was in the waterproof case so sound quality kinda sucked.
I could listen to the castle motor all day! (y)
ohhhhhhhhh LOL I'm dumb

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back