Castle 2028 1100kv + mmx8s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
Anyone out there try an mmx8s and a castle 2028 1100kv motor? I know the 800kv motor works great with the mmx8s but I'm wondering if I could get away with using the mmx8s with the higher kv. 🤔

The motor will definitely take it, maybe just monitor the ESC temps closely? Can you get ESC temp telemetry on the radio? If not I’d check it with a heat gun often during the packs. Pull the logs after and see what everything looks like.
2028’s are huge, what are you putting it in? Kraton 8s?

The motor will definitely take it, maybe just monitor the ESC temps closely? Can you get ESC temp telemetry on the radio? If not I’d check it with a heat gun often during the packs. Pull the logs after and see what everything looks like.
2028’s are huge, what are you putting it in? Kraton 8s?
I was thinking about the new traxxas XRT if it fits. My k8s had an xlx2 and 2028 but it went up in flames the other day. :eek: 🔥🔥

Ironically my XLX2 just went up in flames last month as well in my K8S EXB with 2028 1100kv… You could run it with the MMX8S, you just will have to gear it for a much lower top speed than you did with the XLX2 to keep the amp draw down. The 2028 1100kv is a nasty motor, I personally would just get a less spicy motor so you could be geared up for good air control.

In my K8S EXB I ran 29/39 gearing and would hit 400amp peaks every once and awhile. Castle told me to go down to 30/47 once I get my warrantied XLX2 back. They also told me the XLX2 is a 160amp continuous esc and the MMX8S is a 130amp continuous esc. But they wouldn’t go into detail about peak load rating for however many seconds unfortunately.

Ironically my XLX2 just went up in flames last month as well in my K8S EXB with 2028 1100kv… You could run it with the MMX8S, you just will have to gear it for a much lower top speed than you did with the XLX2 to keep the amp draw down. The 2028 1100kv is a nasty motor, I personally would just get a less spicy motor so you could be geared up for good air control.

In my K8S EXB I ran 29/39 gearing and would hit 400amp peaks every once and awhile. Castle told me to go down to 30/47 once I get my warrantied XLX2 back. They also told me the XLX2 is a 160amp continuous esc and the MMX8S is a 130amp continuous esc. But they wouldn’t go into detail about peak load rating for however many seconds unfortunately.
It's really crazy to me that castle is going around telling people this poop. xlx2 is 160 amp continuous? that seems like whoever you talked to had no idea wtf he was talking about. Even max 5 is 200 amps. That info is clearly wrong, And even the gearing is BS. They have 32/47 listed for the k8s on their own freaking website lol.

Funny enough I was also geared 29/39 when mine went up in flames but I was barely even on the throttle when it happened. To make all of this even crazier, 32/47 is literally 5 mph faster than 29/39. How is a difference of 5 mph enough to make a difference? I don't know but castle is coming off like they're 100% full of poop and it's depressing.

xlx2 is 160 amp cont I'm still laughing at that. Spektrum 8s esc is freaking 160 amp. Whoever told you that should be fired. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

At 30V I get
66.7mph 29/39
61.1mph 32/47
57.3mph 30/47

The problem with continuous ratings is they don't really mean anything to us bashers as we never pull constant current, 160amps indefinitely is quite impressive to me when you stop and think about its heat generation just sitting there constantly pulling that amount of current. I see it as castle being more realistic and/or conservative with the ratings and these other manufacturers just fluffing it up for marketing, just like we see these outrageous C ratings on Lipo packs, without an amount of time specified they mean diddly. But this is just me speculating. The MAX5 has a 200A continuous and 1300A bust rating, but for how long can it actually handle that 1300A burst? .1sec, .01sec, .001sec? Just looking around at some National Electric Code stuff an 8awg insulated copper wire in free air is only rated for 80amps continuous at 194F just as an example. Now if we had ratings for say a 10sec/5sec/1sec/.5/.1sec burst that would be a lot nicer for us bashers to choose from and those ratings would be significantly higher than the continuous. We all know the castle stuff can handle some serious burst power, I've pulled up to and over 350amps many times on my MMX8S in my xmaxx and its still kicking, the thing has been an absolute beast for its size and weight, and it has been in some really nasty crashes in both my xmaxx and K6S.

Funnily enough my XLX2 also went up when I was going real easy on it just driving it around at the park with my family. I'm usually wailing on it at the local RC dirt course or doing huge jumps with it. Sadly when it went up it must have internally shorted as it blew a tab apart within one of my lipos, so I didn't want to try to power it back up to attempt to get logs out of it. The tech guy I talked to didn't have it in front of him either so I never got a definite reason for why it went up.

If you do end up running the 2028 1100kv with the MMX8S please report back on your findings on what gearing is required to keep the amps down at a decent level, I think I would probably try to keep the amp peaks at or less than 250amps. I may try it as well as my curiosity will push me to try it, will have to make some 8mm to 6.5mm bullet adapters though.

@Moirae did you end up running the MMX8S and 1100kv 2028? How did it hold up?
I tried it for 2 packs on an on road rig but I was running it on 6s. No problems but again it was just a stretched typhon.

I tried it for 2 packs on an on road rig but I was running it on 6s. No problems but again it was just a stretched typhon.
Im installing that same 11ookv motor in one of my limitless v2. Only looking for 100 mph. Have a 160 amp spectrum and a max 5 on hand. Don't no weather to take a chance on another xlx2 or what.. LOL. Any of you advice would be nice please.

Im installing that same 11ookv motor in one of my limitless v2. Only looking for 100 mph. Have a 160 amp spectrum and a max 5 on hand. Don't no weather to take a chance on another xlx2 or what.. LOL. Any of you advice would be nice please.
If all you want to do is 100 mph that max 5 will definitely be good enough! I don't think I'd trust that spektrum esc with that motor :ROFLMAO:

If all you want to do is 100 mph that max 5 will definitely be good enough! I don't think I'd trust that spektrum esc with that motor :ROFLMAO:
Thanks.. To be honest I want to get good at driving and making it handle good before a real speed run and also I'm not very rich. :ROFLMAO:

So your new and not rich, yet you’ve got a cpl limitless’s and max5’s just laying around…. Hmmm
lol man we're far from rich and have 32 rigs in under 2 years. Maybe a bit dumb though 🤣 😔

lol man we're far from rich and have 32 rigs in under 2 years. Maybe a bit dumb though 🤣 😔
Brah, for as much fun as you guys have mannnnnn. No price on happiness brother. I mean I love it too don't get me wrong but if I had the time you guys have I'd go into my retirement money lol. WORD!

Ya!! Can't say I have much in the bank but I still like to order stuff as often as I can. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back