Vorteks Center diff install on Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbob

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the center diff on the new 4s Mojave (and I assume the rest of the 4s lineup soon). I really love my Vorteks and figured it would be a great addition. However, the diffs and housings have been on backorder for a bit.

I managed to find some shops that had them in stock, and they arrived today.

Install is pretty straightforward, but there isn't much room in the Vorteks chassis. To further complicate things, I'm running a 3665 motor instead of I think the 3660 is stock? So slightly longer. I had to remove the receiver box/servo mount, install the diff/motor, then reinstall the box and servo. There is literally not a millimeter to spare, the receiver box lid is touching the back of the motor. But it fits!

Stock driveshaft works, because you don't need the little stub shaft that you need with the slipper. Driveshaft goes directly from front diff to center diff without any other parts.

Out of the box, it does seem to make things a little more controlled, not as wheelie crazy. Obviously that can be fine tuned to ones preference with different center diff fluid. I'm happy with it for now, might play with pinion size instead.

IMG_20231212_153130263.jpg

Hi, good job...may I know what's the size of the battery you still have on there? I'm thinking of making a Granite with the diff (I don't have any 3s car on hand right now).

Hi, good job...may I know what's the size of the battery you still have on there? I'm thinking of making a Granite with the diff (I don't have any 3s car on hand right now).
It's a 7600mah Socokin from Amazon. I've actually stacked 2 in parallel with some longer straps for infinite runtime 🤣. But usually just one now

Issue could be baterry lenght at that point. Im sure thats why they redesigning the battery trey compartment to be longer on the new 4s
If i add the new center diff on my kraton v1.5(typhon chassis with v1 body) i might not be able to run 155mm packs or very tight

Issue could be baterry lenght at that point. Im sure thats why they redesigning the battery trey compartment to be longer on the new 4s
If i add the new center diff on my kraton v1.5(typhon chassis with v1 body) i might not be able to run 155mm packs or very tight
Yeah it does eat into the tray a little. Probably not an issue on the MWB or LWB models but I already couldn't fit the really long packs in the Vorteks before this. I'll measure what I have left when I get back home.

IMG_20231213_083557336.jpg

Tray measures 5 7/16" now, which happens to be the exact size of that hard case pack I'm using. I didn't even realize how snug it was in the tray on my first outing. But that is the biggest that will fit it with the center diff unless you swap to a longer chassis.

I had the same issue w the granite (swb). However, my cheap 3s hoovos fit and so did a 5000 mah gensacearespammers. I ended removing the center diff and putting it in my big rock. Plenty of space, but i was thinking about chopping down that tab (for more batt. space) in front like the speed runners do for the vendetta. Credit to @K-BASH since hes the first i saw do it. It's in his "let's all build a vendetta" thread/build log.

I had the same issue w the granite (swb). However, my cheap 3s hoovos fit and so did a 5000 mah gensacearespammers. I ended removing the center diff and putting it in my big rock. Plenty of space, but i was thinking about chopping down that tab (for more batt. space) in front like the speed runners do for the vendetta. Credit to @K-BASH since hes the first i saw do it. It's in his "let's all build a vendetta" thread/build log.
Something else too, I have some longer (but thinner) soft case batteries that are 6600mah, not sure of the brand off the top of my head. But they are longer than will fit lying flat in the tray. I can stand it up sideways and still use it, since you gain a little extra room. The diff housing doesn't take up the whole width of the battery tray. If that makes sense.

I ended removing the center diff and putting it in my big rock.
Alright, so I lied.. I didn't put it in my big rock.. yet. I had plans to do so tonight, but found out something VERY INFORMATIONAL:

The input bevel gears on the Big Rock 3s (ARA4312v3) are a different size than the female side of the 4s center diff yoke. You'll need atleast 1 4s mojave input bevel gear (ara4404) for the rear to convert it. Or, apparently a v2 Granite or vortex input gear..

Here are some pics of the parts at jennys and a pic of the big rock bevel not fitting into the center diff yoke.

Screenshot_20231214_224033_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_223844_Chrome.jpg
20231214_224451.jpg

Alright, so I lied.. I didn't put it in my big rock.. yet. I had plans to do so tonight, but found out something VERY INFORMATIONAL:

The input bevel gears on the Big Rock 3s (ARA4312v3) are a different size than the female side of the 4s center diff yoke. You'll need atleast 1 4s mojave input bevel gear (ara4404) for the rear to convert it. Or, apparently a v2 Granite or vortex input gear..

Here are some pics of the parts at jennys and a pic of the big rock bevel not fitting into the center diff yoke.

View attachment 337092View attachment 337093View attachment 337094
Saw someone with a bigrock able to put it in... the gear you have is the old v2 gear who was longer. The new v3 gears of the current 3s are shorter

Then how was it that the v2 granites fit? 🤔..

I don't know what version big rock I have (bought it on ebay) , I just know that the input gears don't fit. Neither do the extra pair that came with it. Hmm?

Then how was it that the v2 granites fit? 🤔..

I don't know what version big rock I have (bought it on ebay) , I just know that the input gears don't fit. Neither do the extra pair that came with it. Hmm?
Someone else also installed it into an infraction 3s. Jaytee installed it into a senton 3s also.

Someone else also installed it into an infraction 3s. Jaytee installed it into a senton 3s also.
Maybe i got some junk aftermarket input gear?? 🤔 ..but it fits fine in the plastic center drive shaft. More play in the plastic pieces im guessing? I tried forcing it pretty dang good too. But the pair in my BR and the extra new pair it came with would not budge for the life of me. Oh well, I just switched it with the rear input gear from my v2 granite. Problem solved. But now I'm curious as to what the heck I got in there. "Looks" beefier than what was in the v2. The grooves in shaft of the input gear seem like they aren't shallow enough for the "teeth(?)" of the female part of the diff. I got 4 pieces like that and assumed v3 since all i got is v2 Granite to compare w. maybe it's just mine.. Sorry y'all. 😅

I put the center diff in the Granite v3 mega with 4074 motor and spektrum 150 esc, had to trim receiver box but the center diff slid right in. There's also two holes on the bottom of the chassis in the right place already for the screws but the holes aren't countersunk so you need to trim a bit.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/6s-granite-mega.66516/

Good to know it can fit in a swb. But having to remove the receiver box to get it in and out might be a huge hassle. Has the center diff been worth it?
I honestly haven't driven it much, but it did eliminate the slipper going wild. Honestly on 6s a slipper just can't take the heat. Either you tighten it so far it does nothing and acts locked, or you get a weed whacker sound of all the slip from the torque. I am surprised Arrma even put it on the 4s cars for so long.

Good to know it can fit in a swb. But having to remove the receiver box to get it in and out might be a huge hassle. Has the center diff been worth it?
It's not really a big deal to service.
I like it, but honestly the Vorteks doesn't get a whole lot of play time with everything else in the stable. I don't forsee any issues with longevity of it though - part of the reason I jumped on it was because I was starting to have slipper issues.

Back