Complete disaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktc888

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Right here goes. Cut a long story short my brother and his partner have split up. She brought him a rustler vxl for Xmas.

Basically, she gave him the car early but with very bad news. She has cut every wire in half (yes now you see why they have split up lol)
Also, I'll chuck in there that she cut the tires in half lol

So here goes. We have rewired the car (pretty straightforward)

Problems are ...
No throttle at all
No noise coming from the motor

Great news we do have steering lol

I have completely reset the esc but still no look :(
the car WAS brand new

Any help would be appreciated

Was there a battery in there when she cut it as this might have shorted the esc out? If not check the wires connected make sure they are correct

Decided to chuck it in the cupboard lol. It's in a bad state anyway.

Shame as it was a new car only ever been used once

My phone has broken mate won't let me take pics. What I can tell you is they have been crimped together. Blue to blue. Yellow to yellow and white to white. Straight forward really. But now every time we connect the battery ( which is also new and the right one) it's overheats the esc and starts smoking. We give up lol his decided to buy something else (ARRMA HOPEFULLY)

This is how the car came back

Be warned its a disaster!!!!

Please take into consideration this car was brand new

Attachments

• IMG-20181129-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0006.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-20181129-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0005.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-20181129-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0004.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20181129-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0003.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG-20181129-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0002.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-20181129-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20181129-WA0001.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 97
Wow that stinks big time. Sound like he is much better off now. Still looks like a fun project to get it going again.

Wow that stinks big time. Sound like he is much better off now. Still looks like a fun project to get it going again.
It would be mate but they don't seem to fetch anything I can buy a fully working one for 180 sometimes see them for less. And Yeh he is better off plus her loss she paid for it.. 400 pound down the drain

LOL, WOW! She Mad...

The way the heat sink is bashed in, I worry the FETs in the ESC may be damaged.

For the motor - for some motors, damaging the motor leads is as good as death. For others, the leads can be easly replaced. I don't know which category the Traxxas motors fall into. But - flex the leads. Are they soft like the battery leads? Or stiff, and hold a bend? In the second case, trash the motor (sorry).

My recommendation - get a new motor and ESC combo. A Hobbywing Max10 3652 combo is about $100, or you can get a GoolRC/Surpass/Oday/Racerstar (they are all the same) 60a ESC with 3650 combo for about $40.

LOL, WOW! She Mad...

The way the heat sink is bashed in, I worry the FETs in the ESC may be damaged.

For the motor - for some motors, damaging the motor leads is as good as death. For others, the leads can be easly replaced. I don't know which category the Traxxas motors fall into. But - flex the leads. Are they soft like the battery leads? Or stiff, and hold a bend? In the second case, trash the motor (sorry).

My recommendation - get a new motor and ESC combo. A Hobbywing Max10 3652 combo is about $100, or you can get a GoolRC/Surpass/Oday/Racerstar (they are all the same) 60a ESC with 3650 combo for about $40.
Lol just don't get why she didn't sell it on.

He's not prepared to spend a penny on it. He wants something better and 4wd. Now all this has happened he is quite happy as he rushed into it anyway

You can save the motor pull the plastic end cap off the motor the wires are soldered on tabs at the top. The receiver if the antenna wires not cut you can save that as well it might have TSM (Traxxas stability Management) I would reuse that if I could. I use the VXL motor with a Hobbywing Max10 120a esc I just soldered on 4mm connectors to plug into the esc.

You can save the motor pull the plastic end cap off the motor the wires are soldered on tabs at the top. The receiver if the antenna wires not cut you can save that as well it might have TSM (Traxxas stability Management) I would reuse that if I could. I use the VXL motor with a Hobbywing Max10 120a esc I just soldered on 4mm connectors to plug into the esc.
I have opened that end cap like you said and it's all soldered to the coils inside.

Attachments

• 20181201_121918.jpg
    20181201_121918.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 57
Yeah, so that is not great. the problem is individual strands of the motor winding wires are lacquered, so soldering them is hard enough to be nearly impossible. You have to clean the lacquer off the strands before you tin the wires, and that is just not easy.

Ah, this explains it not working very well then!

They wonder how you escaped the trap!
I had one once, I was lucky to get out of their with the cloths on my back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back