Differential lock question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I left the shims off of one of the spider gears when I clean the grease off of them so I had to dig out the hot glue to replace it it wasn't too bad

One of the reasons I asked what the intended use was because if you are a street basher, gravel path or soft dirt. The functional diff is a good thing in street and mixed terrain driving. Rock crawling and soft dirt being more locked out is better. You’ll loose Controle and crash on pavement easily locked out. Is go with 60k oil for a stiff diff in such a light car. It will preform well all around. My daughter can go full Ken Block with hers...

One of the reasons I asked what the intended use was because if you are a street basher, gravel path or soft dirt. The functional diff is a good thing in street and mixed terrain driving. Rock crawling and soft dirt being more locked out is better. You’ll loose Controle and crash on pavement easily locked out. Is go with 60k oil for a stiff diff in such a light car. It will preform well all around. My daughter can go full Ken Block with hers...
This car is mostly used in grass and skatepark bashing

This thread is the first I've heard of dif oil. Does it make a big differance on 2wd
If you hit the gas on a car and only one wheel gets traction you are getting half the possible traction. Diff oil slows down the slipping differential and forces the other wheel to participate. To thick it will negate the effect and benefits of one wheel being able to move more independently in a corner keeping the wheels in traction.

You are either geared too high or your esc is taking a dump.
funny you say that about the esc it started smoking today. I bought it second hand but it hasn't had power really since I've owned it I replaced everything with a goolrc 4300kv 60a brushless. Did I go to far with locking the gears

If you hit the gas on a car and only one wheel gets traction you are getting half the possible traction. Diff oil slows down the slipping differential and forces the other wheel to participate. To thick it will negate the effect and benefits of one wheel being able to move more independently in a corner keeping the wheels in traction.
On my raider it just takes off both tires spinning hard

Diff oil will fix that and help you still controle the car when off throttle. Skate parks are hard serface. You want some diff influence.
So with locking it it will just stop when I let off the throttle?

You could consider how your esc is setup too. doesn't mean it will start and stop just due to diff oil viscosity. Your esc can be tuned to punch and stop in varying degrees. Read up on your esc manual and play with it. Nothing is perfect and the more variables you want to play with the more fun you could have.

funny you say that about the esc it started smoking today. I bought it second hand but it hasn't had power really since I've owned it I replaced everything with a goolrc 4300kv 60a brushless. Did I go to far with locking the gears
Is everything free spinning without bind. The bearings are crap on these cars. It should roll freely off throttle.
It shouldn’t unless something is off. If it stops like brakes are on after you release the throttle this is why your car is smoking. Something isn’t free spinning in the drive line, lol. Locking a diff should only lock both wheels together.

That KV is rather high for a 4wd 1/10 MT especially when paired with one of those Goolrc escs. You should have went with a lower KV motor.

Is everything free spinning without bind. The bearings are crap on these cars. It should roll freely off throttle.

It shouldn’t unless something is off. If it stops like brakes are on after you release the throttle this is why your car is smoking. Something isn’t free spinning in the drive line, lol. Locking a diff should only lock both wheels together.
Everything is free spinning I think I messed up the esc when it landed in a big puddle upside down

I'm sure it was, but unfortunately you will probably burn that system up in there especially if the motor is a finned 540 can instead of a true 540 can motor. That system is more designed for 1/10 buggies or 2wd Traxxas vehicles, not 4wd monster trucks.

Last edited:
You could consider how your esc is setup too. doesn't mean it will start and stop just due to diff oil viscosity. Your esc can be tuned to punch and stop in varying degrees. Read up on your esc manual and play with it. Nothing is perfect and the more variables you want to play with the more fun you could have.
^^^Some esc’s have this trailing brake feature. I don’t believe the stock unit does, not sure about yours.
Everything is free spinning I think I messed up the esc when it landed in a big puddle upside down
its actually a fun little car. My daughter gets 10’ air off a dirt jump all day and hasn’t broke it yet. Flys nice and flips or tumbles back to all 4’s. The only gripe I have is how much crap needs to come off to het to the maintenance items and the diffs only having 2 out of 4 gears.

Price was a big factor!!!
^^^Some esc’s have this trailing brake feature. I don’t believe the stock unit does, not sure about yours.

its actually a fun little car. My daughter gets 10’ air off a dirt jump all day and hasn’t broke it yet. Flys nice and flips or tumbles back to all 4’s. The only gripe I have is how much crap needs to come off to het to the maintenance items and the diffs only having 2 out of 4 gears.
The only time I've broke mine is running it under 15° f I excited to see you it performs with the new gool esc. And I'm curious about how it act with the dif locked now.

I'm sure it was, but unfortunately you will probably burn that system up in there especially if the motor is a finned 550 can instead of a true 550 can motor. That system is more designed for 1/10 buggies or 2wd Traxxas vehicles, not 4wd monster trucks.
I don't understand the 550 thing

I'm sure it was, but unfortunately you will probably burn that system up in there especially if the motor is a finned 550 can instead of a true 550 can motor. That system is more designed for 1/10 buggies or 2wd Traxxas vehicles, not 4wd monster trucks.
Also could you recommend a brushless size

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back