Differentials with drain plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xash

Reaction score
So considering diff oils are a key part to setting up your RC, how come there aren't any differentials with drain plugs? It would make the changing so much easier. Or are there and my Google skills aren't good enough to find what i was looking for? 🤔
And if there really aren't, how about drilling a thread in the diff case and modding drain plugs yourself? Should work, right?

Obviously no solution if you run with grease but for oil this should work.

Thoughts?

Oils tend to be very thick also. Doubt theyed want to drain well.

That aside you really need to open them up and clean the old out. Especially if there's been some wear so you can have fresh fluid and not new fluid with metal particals involved.
Just my opinion, but I like the way you think.

Yeah sure, there would always be a small amount left over and cleaning would obviously still be needed from time to time.
But since i'm just starting with the hobby and will probably want to change some things over time, i think about way that would facilitate the process.

Btw, doesn't warm oil have a lower viscosity and would then flow out easier? Sure, 1.5M oil would probably still have a hard time, i suppose.

But considering the cleaning - just brainstorming here: you should be able to suck out metal particals and the oil if you had a vacuum that would fit into the drilled hole, which sounds like the least of the issues.

All the fluids i have used would be too thick imo to gravity drain ….

Solid idea
Just don't see it working with 100k and thicker diff fluids … just my opinion

I personally hate diffs …
Again
My opinion

Btw, doesn't warm oil have a lower viscosity and would then flow out easier? Sure, 1.5M oil would probably still have a hard time, i suppose.

But considering the cleaning - just brainstorming here: you should be able to suck out metal particals and the oil if you had a vacuum that would fit into the drilled hole, which sounds like the least of the issues.
I don't think you have opened up a differential case to see the thick paste we call differential oil. It just won't work, plus it would short circuit the vital inspection part of maintainance.

I don't think you have opened up a differential case to see the thick paste we call differential oil. It just won't work, plus it would short circuit the vital inspection part of maintainance.
Indeed, so far i haven't because there's no F-ing Kraton 6S EXB available in Europe yet 😭

But i do like to inform myself way before i get into things. And form ideas, ask questions. It's too late when it broke, right? ^^
And since i wanna make it drift a little on the rear end, i'm bound to probably change the diff fluid. Sadly i haven't seen any video yet with actual oil, the once i saw so far all had grease and yes, that obviously wouldn't drain, hence why i came here and asked about oil. Seemed like a logical thing to just drain.
I have no actual idea how thick this fluid actually is.

And as said: of course it doesn't eliminate maintainance! Would've been just a convenient thing when fooling around with the diff settings.

Yeah sure, there would always be a small amount left over and cleaning would obviously still be needed from time to time.
But since i'm just starting with the hobby and will probably want to change some things over time, i think about way that would facilitate the process.

Once you get into a few you're going to see that what you stated looks great on paper, but the reality is that fluid doesn't like to move. You're going to want to open up that diff, inspect all the planet and ring gears, get in-between each tooth with compressed air to clean out all the old fluid mixed in with metal shavings ETC.

You think you might be able to drain the diff through a grub screw hole and over time it might ooze out, try getting the new fluid through that grub screw hole. You'll be at it for weeks lol.

So considering diff oils are a key part to setting up your RC, how come there aren't any differentials with drain plugs? It would make the changing so much easier. Or are there and my Google skills aren't good enough to find what i was looking for? 🤔
And if there really aren't, how about drilling a thread in the diff case and modding drain plugs yourself? Should work, right?

Obviously no solution if you run with grease but for oil this should work.

Thoughts?
Just switch to the LSD diff. They come with drain plugs. 🤣
IMG_20240114_082855.jpg

IMG_20240114_082425.jpg

Considering wear and metal particals: why aren't they made of delrin? Not strong enough to withstand the power or does it have a different reason?

From what i see, smaller RC cars do sometimes have delrin diffs, why not the big ones?

As many here have already stated, it wouldn't be beneficial to have a diff drain plug. They would be as useless as screen doors on a submarine.

On majority of truck/cars with a solid rear rear axle, they have plugs, but they are referred to as "fill" or "sight" plugs. On these differentials, one needs to remove the differential cover (Dana 60, Ford 8.8, Chevy 10/12 bolt) or remove the third member aka pumpkin (Ford 9", Chrysler 8.75, etc). Maybe times have changed whereas a drain plug has since been installed... I cannot confirm this.

Diff oil isn’t like a normal oil, it’s incredibly thick. I can’t think of anything to compare it to that you’d also have in Europe. Imagine this: you take the ring gear off, and try to pour out the diff oil, for 15-30 seconds, nothing comes out. Then when it does, it’s a very slow string, that very slowly pours out of the open diff cup. I typically have my diff cups upside down over night for it all to run out. That’s how thick it is. Trying to drain that out of a small hole would be futile.

Well then, plan scrapped i suppose ;)

Still one question remains: why aren't bigger scale diffs made of delrin?

Delrin would be more expensive to produce, and doesn’t take threading very well, which would require an insert or heli-coil. It would be an expense that wouldn’t really yeild any benefit. The plastics used are plenty strong enough for a diff cup. As the adage goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

As many here have already stated, it wouldn't be beneficial to have a diff drain plug. They would be as useless as screen doors on a submarine.

On majority of truck/cars with a solid rear rear axle, they have plugs, but they are referred to as "fill" or "sight" plugs. On these differentials, one needs to remove the differential cover (Dana 60, Ford 8.8, Chevy 10/12 bolt) or remove the third member aka pumpkin (Ford 9", Chrysler 8.75, etc). Maybe times have changed whereas a drain plug has since been installed... I cannot confirm this.

I can confirm they are still only fill/sight plugs. I'm a mechanic- do this everyday.
You'd never get all the gear lube out let alone all the moisture that builds up.
Think boat ramps and rear ends.. stuff can possibly get real nasty.
Just like the real deal things need to be pulled apart to properly maintain them...

Wrenching is a lot of fun so pull a seat up, grab a wrench and get to gettin😉

They don't use oil. So you can't think of it like a real car. The diffs uses silicone . The silicone in my Limitless diffs is almost a paste . It does flow but it came with a little spatula to spoon it into the diffs.

So even though it's called oil, it's not really oil, am i getting that right?

So even though it's called oil, it's not really oil, am i getting that right?

There are many different forms of "oil". Most only have what they're used to come to mind when they hear the word.

The silicone oil used in diffs runs like molasses at room temp. Very thick stuff normally.

You'll do fine being new/newer. Questions is how you learn 😉

Looking forward to all the new stuff. I love technical stuff and it interests me lots. Now i will finally get into more than reading - just waiting for the new Kraton to be available over here in the EU.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back