Does gyro location matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does a gyro behave differently based on location?

Front, middle, rear, etc.
I may not be the best at answering this question since I have only dealt with Spektrum AVC gyros. No, I have not found those to matter based on the location of the rig. For Spektrum, need to pick a side on how it will sit and calibrate AVC correctly. Front, middle of the rig I have not found a difference.

Could there be a better answer, yes... So keep asking just sharing my experience but does not equal the correct knowledgeable answer 🤷‍♂️

Does a gyro behave differently based on location?

Front, middle, rear, etc.
I don't have anything objective to back this up with, but my instinct is to put it towards the center of the vehicle since that's middle of the axis of rotation that you're trying to correct. They work at the front and back as well but I've not done any testing to try and determine whether it reacts differently or is more sensitive in one position or the other.

I don't have anything objective to back this up with, but my instinct is to put it towards the center of the vehicle since that's middle of the axis of rotation that you're trying to correct. They work at the front and back as well but I've not done any testing to try and determine whether it reacts differently or is more sensitive in one position or the other.

To piggyback on this. I agree with @Diem Turner in that it operates best from the center. Too forward affects the way the gyro corrects the steering.. it still works but not the best that it can.

I use a Futaba GYC470 and there’s a noticeable difference in stability between to forward and center.

However, if a bashing car I’d say put where it’s most convenient and protected because you’ll still benefit from having something versus nothing

To piggyback on this. I agree with @Diem Turner in that it operates best from the center. Too forward affects the way the gyro corrects the steering.. it still works but not the best that it can.

I use a Futaba GYC470 and there’s a noticeable difference in stability between to forward and center.

However, if a bashing car I’d say put where it’s most convenient and protected because you’ll still benefit from having something versus nothing
I use the predecessor, the GYC441 and, while the manual doesn't explicitly make any recommendations about the position, I think this illustration helps to visualize the rotational axis I was referring to. If you imagine the gyro, just as an example, being over the front diff/axles, the gyro will be experiencing more of a side-to-side acceleration rather than rotational forces. As I said, I haven't done a comparative test between the two positions but I'll take your word for it that it has an effect on how the gyro operates because it matches up with how I think they function (confirmation bias: ENGAGED!).
1686114513530.png

I always thought near the back axle was best because that's the location that would most likely kick out. So in theory it would pick up the movement first and have more time to correct. But also agree with some others that at the center you get more rotation of the gyro than side to side movement. Guess the real question is if your gyro reacts to side to side movement or rotational movement more.

Last edited:
Personally, I've found that no matter which gyro you use, toward the rear you'll need to tweak the dial settings for more movement. When the dials are turned up, the whole set up seems to glitch more and over correction happens more frequently. When the gyro is up front, the dials do not need to be tweaked much and it corrects much earlier and easier.

I always thought near the back axle was best because that's the location that would most likely kick out. So I'm theory it would pick up the movement first and have more time to correct. But also agree with some others that at the center you get more rotation of the gyro than side to side movement. Guess the real question is if your gyro reacts to side to side movement or rotational movement more.
Gyroscopes were designed to sense rotational deflection (which was the central idea of my hypothesis that a central location should result in better sensitivity than somewhere at the front or rear of the car) but they also generally sense changes in orientation.

A gyro positioned in the central red/yellow circle should experience every little deviation from the direction it's travelling in quickly. If positioned in the nose where the blue/orange circle is, as the car breaks traction, due to the larger arc because of its distance from the center will first experience lateral acceleration before it begins to rotate. It's possible that this works just as well but, in my imagination anyways, the central position fits more into the natural axis of detection and the front position might be better served by the addition of accelerometers. But I'm just flapping my chocolate starfish, I don't have a comprehensive understanding of they sense movement best.
1686156980899.png

All above, might add a little more visual.
Think of it being mounted on a stick with a center point. The further out, the more dominant is the observed deflection.

Ideal mounting is as far forward as possible and in the middle if you want only steering control.
Even better if you mount it on a 10ft pole ahead of it, this allows for minimal 'gain' to detect the movement.
There is gain for a reason as it's not always prudent to run with a 10ft pole, but like any old amplifier, the higher you dial it up the more noise gets amplified, and it will mess up the reaction.

Now, for the rear end kicking out, the best place would be over the rear axle. In other words, there is no perfect place, just a healthy middle ground.
For bashing, why would you need a gyro to begin with, but many uses it to get heading hold but won't do anything else despite the fabled claims. Us older folks rip it out and use the trim knob to make it go straight.

Gyroscopes were designed to sense rotational deflection (which was the central idea of my hypothesis that a central location should result in better sensitivity than somewhere at the front or rear of the car) but they also generally sense changes in orientation.

A gyro positioned in the central red/yellow circle should experience every little deviation from the direction it's travelling in quickly. If positioned in the nose where the blue/orange circle is, as the car breaks traction, due to the larger arc because of its distance from the center will first experience lateral acceleration before it begins to rotate. It's possible that this works just as well but, in my imagination anyways, the central position fits more into the natural axis of detection and the front position might be better served by the addition of accelerometers. But I'm just flapping my chocolate starfish, I don't have a comprehensive understanding of they sense movement best.
View attachment 304349

You had me at chocolate starfish

View attachment 304349
Most of mine are either mounted in the recievers box, so near middle ish but off to one side. Or under the "canopy" area of my buggies, (because that's where there's space) which is just rear of the center position. Now that you got my mind going I'm going to have to test out one of my cars by shaking it left to right, then rotating it. Will see if there's a noticable difference.
For bashing, why would you need a gyro to begin with, but many uses it to get heading hold but won't do anything else despite the fabled claims. Us older folks rip it out and use the trim knob to make it go straight.
I don't really like it for bashing. I might keep it on low if I'm just blasting along rough terrain to help it hold straight, but if I'm jumping it's gotta be turned off. Always seems very unpredictable when doing jumps and flips with it on.

Saw some interesting results in this gyro position test. Not sure if this applies across the board of different gyro manufacturers so I'm still going to test out my dumbo gyros to be sure.
Awesome, this completely and utterly demolishes my preconceived notions and hypothesis. I could not have been more wrong. Anyone who reads through this thread, disregard anything I wrote. Thanks for the video Mike, much appreciated. (y)

Awesome, this completely and utterly demolishes my preconceived notions and hypothesis. I could not have been more wrong. Anyone who reads through this thread, disregard anything I wrote. Thanks for the video Mike, much appreciated. (y)
Don't doubt yourself yet. I still think it's possible different gyro may react different.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back