Ender3 S1 pro extruder noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Granite Mega
  4. Infraction
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Nero
  7. Notorious
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys

Yesterday I kept getting a popping noise from my extruder. I thought it was just very damp filament but when I switched out the filament the popping continued. Then the prints kept failing after about 45 min. The filament wasn't feeding through. Today is making this noise

Any advice on what the problem could be before I disassemble the extruder? Thanks

Hey guys

Yesterday I kept getting a popping noise from my extruder. I thought it was just very damp filament but when I switched out the filament the popping continued. Then the prints kept failing after about 45 min. The filament wasn't feeding through. Today is making this noise

Any advice on what the problem could be before I disassemble the extruder? Thanks

Is it bone stock?

And when was the last time you recalibrated?
Bed Leveling and Z-offset??

Is it bone stock?

And when was the last time you recalibrated?
Bed Leveling and Z-offset??
I adjusted the bed and z offset yesterday or the day before. Usually recheck it every couple of weeks.

Yes everything is still stock except it has a new nozzle a few weeks ago.

Perhaps it has come loose..?
Check to see if you can tighten it up.

Creality 0.4mm
Ahh good idea. Will check that. I was going to pull it off to make sure it wasn't clogged or something.

Probably went be until Monday that I get a chance to look into it. I will let you know what I find👍😁👍
Perhaps it has come loose..?
Check to see if you can tighten it up.

You see your filament moving left to right before the noise. It is something with feeding wheels/gears slipping on the filament … I suspect your nozzle is partly blocked or something. The wheels that push the filament trough the extruder are probably slipping because the push harder then the filament flows through the nozzle.

You see your filament moving left to right before the noise. It is something with feeding wheels/gears slipping on the filament … I suspect your nozzle is partly blocked or something. The wheels that push the filament trough the extruder are probably slipping because the push harder then the filament flows through the nozzle.

Great observation!

Could be some sort of blockage in the nozzle ,like Haastnooit stated.
Or your feeder gears are clogged from grinding at the filament and has a buildup in between the teeth at a certain portion which now is causing it to either slip or grab at the new filament..

Ok finally got a few minutes free check the 3d printer.

@Tex Koder
@Haastnooit

Started out simple by changing the nozzle and re-leveling bed.

Bed was still spot on but had to come a hair lower with the new nozzle. Old Nozzle looked fine but still has some unmelted filament in it. Which I think is normal?🤷

Started a test print and it was way quieter but still made a bit of noise.

Then after a minute it was completely silent again. Must have worked out whatever was sticking in the gears now that the nozzle was clear.

Just saw a odd tip on cheps filament Friday on using a sponge with a drop of olive oil on it to lubricate the extruder. Anyone ever heard of this or recommend it?

Thanks for all the help🤗

@Tex Koder
@Haastnooit

Bed was still spot on but had to come a hair lower with the new nozzle. Old Nozzle looked fine but still has some unmelted filament in it. Which I think is normal?🤷

Then after a minute it was completely silent again. Must have worked out whatever was sticking in the gears now that the nozzle was clear.

Just saw a odd tip on cheps filament Friday on using a sponge with a drop of olive oil on it to lubricate the extruder. Anyone ever heard of this or recommend it?

Thanks for all the help🤗
I think I'm going to have to stop take apart the extruder. Tried calibrating my e steps and it kept changing between over and under extrusion.

@Tex Koder
@Haastnooit

Thanks for all the help🤗

Absolutely. 👍
Glad to see you're back up and running.

You could also double check and adjust your filament feed tension >>
1689259322374.png

And, print yourself one of these >>

1689259362149.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2505917

Add a small piece of sponge and a drop or two of olive oil to help clean & lube your filament.
I do it on mine. 👌

Amazing help. I had taken the extruder apart once and remembered there was some adjustment screw but didn't remember where. I don't think it had that in the manual with the printer.

I will print that lube holder also as soon as the current prints are done.

Thanks again you guys are Rock stars 🤘🤘

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back