Kraton First 6s, Exb I’m underwhelmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Powerhobby Turbo 35 mm fans usually fit stock ESC's. What I use. Double check the stock fan dimensions first. BLX185 I know uses a 35 x 10mm fan. Not sure about the New Firma ESC's however.
Maybe someone else with that ESC (Firma 150) can chime in to verify.

MOTOR HEATSINK 4074 (ARA390299) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

This above is the the correct fit for a 40mm diameter Firma 6s motor. If using the this motor. Buy a quality HS 40mm fan to mount on top of this HS. The matching Arrma stock fan wont last and is also slow.
I tried the HW HS and Fan. The fan is garbage and the HS is a very poor fit. Little thermal transfer. Been down that road. Tried this HW. It is much cheaper for a reason. Have 3 here that just sit in the bin. All 3 fans crapped out. (cracked) The HW HS/Fan is designed for a 44mm motor can. HS's must fit precisely or they don't transfer heat well enough and actually keep the motor hotter than using just a Fan alone with no HS. I noticed myself first hand, a fan alone was better at cooling than using this HW HS/fan combo.. Bending any HS to MAKE it fit to the wrong size motor is incorrect. There will be poor contact surface area.
If you have a 44mm motor then it will work. :cool:

MOTOR HEATSINK 4074 (ARA390299) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

This above is the the correct fit for a 40mm diameter Firma 6s motor. If using the this motor. Buy a quality HS 40mm fan to mount on top of this HS. The matching Arrma stock fan wont last and is also slow.
I tried the HW HS and Fan. The fan is garbage and the HS is a very poor fit. Little thermal transfer. Been down that road. Tried this HW. It is much cheaper for a reason. Have 3 here that just sit in the bin. All 3 fans crapped out. (cracked) The HW HS/Fan is designed for a 44mm motor can. HS's must fit precisely or they don't transfer heat well enough and actually keep the motor hotter than using just a Fan alone with no HS. I noticed myself first hand, a fan alone was better at cooling than using this HW HS/fan combo.. Bending any HS to MAKE it fit to the wrong size motor is incorrect. There will be poor contact surface area.
If you have a 44mm motor then it will work. :cool:
Well... Crap. Really jumped the gun on that order lmao
Maybe I can cancel it.

Need a 15T pinion at minimum to get anything out of a Kraton. The Long wheelbase chassis that it is will feel underwhelming and not pull up if you don't gear it properly.
Check ALL your ESC settings. Something is a miss here. Almost sounds like you are describing a RTR 8s rig out the box there. With no get up and go.
Why chicken out on a 17T pinion. "Thermal Cut OFF" has your back dude. 🤷‍♂️ Hope you got a temp gun. Sounds like you don't?
Monitor your temps. That is how its done with gearing changes.
Does the stock system monitor the motor temps too?

FWIW I have been running a yeah racing dual fan heat sink setup on the motor of my Kraton, and the thing has worked phenomenally. Additionally, I have a pair of power hobby 6s 5000mah 100c hard case lipos that have put up with some serious abuse, and still not only hold a near full charge after dozens of cycles, but deliver some serious power.

FWIW I have been running a yeah racing dual fan heat sink setup on the motor of my Kraton, and the thing has worked phenomenally. Additionally, I have a pair of power hobby 6s 5000mah 100c hard case lipos that have put up with some serious abuse, and still not only hold a near full charge after dozens of cycles, but deliver some serious power.
A lot of reviews saying one of the fans came not even working :/

That is unfortunate. Having firsthand experience with 2 different sets from Yeah Racing they have been more than worth it. Huge airflow, super durable.

The "one fan not working" could have been people not knowing they have to use a wye adapter to being power to both fans independently.

That is unfortunate. Having firsthand experience with 2 different sets from Yeah Racing they have been more than worth it. Huge airflow, super durable.

The "one fan not working" could have been people not knowing they have to use a wye adapter to being power to both fans independently.
I'll give em a shot. Wouldn't happen to have a link to one of those adapters, would you?

Good news! Called Lhs just in case even though I was there friday and didn’t have what I needed and they had 500k and an rpm wing mount😎 Too bad I didn’t get some hardware while I was there because the wing mount bolts sheared when I thought they pulled out🤷🏼‍♂️ Hopefully I’ll get the oil in the center diff changed tomorrow and source some overpriced metric hardware from ace. Still need to decide on fan situation. Thought about buying a crisper and fixing them, but for the cost of it I could just get 2 more fans that aren’t total garbage.

i put m4 bolts and nuts to keep my wing mount screws from getting sheared off again. gotta drill out a couple things but it was worth it.

i put m4 bolts and nuts to keep my wing mount screws from getting sheared off again. gotta drill out a couple things but it was worth it.
Think I’m going to use 5mm longer ones so I can unscrew them from the front if it happens again. I finagled the shock tower off and chucked the bolts left sticking out in a drill and unscrewed them.

500k center diff change complete, 17t pinion on thread lock countdown, and a new set of fans on order soon. However while in the diff I noticed some wear marks on the underside of the sour gear, are these normal? Some appear to be outside of wear the diff would seal. Did I get a defective spur? I didn’t notice it until I cleaned everything for fluid change. Other than strange marks the rebuild went smooth, I wish they made the rounded edge of the lsd plates a little easier to see though haha.

B090C8F8-16A4-4482-9A7B-0F4AB413FE40.jpeg

500k center diff change complete, 17t pinion on thread lock countdown, and a new set of fans on order soon. However while in the diff I noticed some wear marks on the underside of the sour gear, are these normal? Some appear to be outside of wear the diff would seal. Did I get a defective spur? I didn’t notice it until I cleaned everything for fluid change. Other than strange marks the rebuild went smooth, I wish they made the rounded edge of the lsd plates a little easier to see though haha.

View attachment 134249
are those "wear" marks into the metal or the gasket? it looks like the lsd plate were installed slightly off square previous install and forced down.. it doesn't look like wear marks to me.. but could be wrong

Fresh built exb with stock firma 150esc and 2050kv motor and I gotta say for my first 6s experience I was underwhelmed. 12t stock pinion I figured I’d get wheelies and backflips, but it won’t do either. It flew like a dang bird for 100’ sends and I did get one backflip out of it buy sheesh was it laborious. Also front end started squeaking like crazy before I finished the first packs so I’ve got to check that out and wing Mount broke, which I guess is a given with these. I gotta believe this setup has more in it, it doesn’t take 8s electronics to make this thing a little wild does it. I’ve got to study up and figure out some tuning on this before I call it a waste. Any ideas? Thicker diff oils, turn punch up, Different gearing or what?
As said already, thicker diff fluid all around will change this thing completely. Don't be afraid to put 200k ot higher in the center. I started with 200k in the center, and the difference was crazy, I now run 500k in it. Atleast 100k in front and rear. Also, stock they come with very little fluid in them, so you should check it out if the box. Also had very little grease in the housings. Definitely start with fluid and punch settings. I promise you won't be underwhelmed anymore. Be careful with pinions, 12 is safe, 15 for bashing will cause some heat issues with alot of hard throttle for long periods of time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back