Kraton First 6s, Exb I’m underwhelmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainger40

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 3s
Fresh built exb with stock firma 150esc and 2050kv motor and I gotta say for my first 6s experience I was underwhelmed. 12t stock pinion I figured I’d get wheelies and backflips, but it won’t do either. It flew like a dang bird for 100’ sends and I did get one backflip out of it buy sheesh was it laborious. Also front end started squeaking like crazy before I finished the first packs so I’ve got to check that out and wing Mount broke, which I guess is a given with these. I gotta believe this setup has more in it, it doesn’t take 8s electronics to make this thing a little wild does it. I’ve got to study up and figure out some tuning on this before I call it a waste. Any ideas? Thicker diff oils, turn punch up, Different gearing or what?

Have you checked your esc setup and throttle inputs? I built my exb the same way and it will backflip and wheelie on command easily with the 12T pinion.
My punch is set at 6 btw. It was the only change I made to the esc.

I calibrated the throttle and brake on the remote, esc is set at factory settings. @Lovestricken i checked and filled frc diffs before i ran it. Maybe I’ll try to track down some thicker fluid for the center.

I calibrated the throttle and brake on the remote, esc is set at factory settings. @Lovestricken i checked and filled frc diffs before i ran it. Maybe I’ll try to track down some thicker fluid for the center.
What did you put in center?

my stock noto 6s was doing standing backflips totally stock on the 12t pinion. I added 500k diff fluid to the center a month after getting it but was a le to do all of the above before thst with it all stock..?

12T is too slow. You need a bigger pinion. That’s a weak setup for an RTR Kraton let alone an EXB.
Dilly not everyone runs 454,blown, methanol, nitrous injected motors like us 😂

12T is too slow. You need a bigger pinion. That’s a weak setup for an RTR Kraton let alone an EXB.
I was going to run a 17t, but chickened out worried about thermal issues. Had the dual powerhobby fans, but the wires fell out of the connectors and ended up in the driveshaft. Second powerhobby purchase that’s been garbage, first was 2 2slipos that puffed after 4 charges. Fans will go in trash and I’ll put something better on the heatsink.

Need a 15T pinion at minimum to get anything out of a Kraton. The Long wheelbase chassis that it is will feel underwhelming and not pull up if you don't gear it properly.
Check ALL your ESC settings. Something is a miss here. Almost sounds like you are describing a RTR 8s rig out the box there. With no get up and go.
Why chicken out on a 17T pinion. "Thermal Cut OFF" has your back dude. 🤷‍♂️ Hope you got a temp gun. Sounds like you don't?
Monitor your temps. That is how its done with gearing changes.

Dilly not everyone runs 454,blown, methanol, nitrous injected motors like us 😂
I don’t run a blower, I prefer a ProCharger 🤣 ... and twin turbos .... and nitro glycerin

Need a 15T pinion at minimum to get anything out of a Kraton. The Long wheelbase chassis that it is will feel underwhelming and not pull up if you don't gear it properly.
Check ALL your ESC settings. Something is a miss here. Almost sounds like you are describing a RTR 8s rig out the box there. With no get up and go.
Why chicken out on a 17T pinion. "Thermal Cut OFF" has your back dude. 🤷‍♂️ Hope you got a temp gun. Sounds like you don't?
Monitor your temps. That is how its done with gearing changes.
I’m a little more thermal sensitive due to my neck of the woods seeing 90’s on a regular basis. I was also excited to get it out so I didn’t want it cut short with thermal and more importantly didn’t want to stress brand new electronics, but ya I’ve got a temp gun and it all stayed below 140. I’ve got 16-19t pinions so maybe I’ll go ahead and put the 17t on and see what happens. I’ve got to fix or scrap the garbage powerhobby fans first. No 500k diff fluid to be found anywhere either, found some 300, worth a shot or don’t waste the money? Is the rpm wing mount worth it or does it break like the stock one?

And then put 2 together
1616427769842.png

With my rtr Kraton, I'm on stock pinion with a locked center diff. It'll do standing backflips easy. Stock punch settings too. Backflips like a champ.

Need thicker fluid in the center.
Really? Hmm. The manual said not to use the bigger pinion for general bashing because of temps. I'm still on the stock one and on my last run the motor was too hot to keep my fingers on. I need some fans, and I should probably check the bearings out, make sure they're still packed with grease.

Do you have a fan and heatsink combo you could recommend?

I’m a little more thermal sensitive due to my neck of the woods seeing 90’s on a regular basis. I was also excited to get it out so I didn’t want it cut short with thermal and more importantly didn’t want to stress brand new electronics, but ya I’ve got a temp gun and it all stayed below 140. I’ve got 16-19t pinions so maybe I’ll go ahead and put the 17t on and see what happens. I’ve got to fix or scrap the garbage powerhobby fans first. No 500k diff fluid to be found anywhere either, found some 300, worth a shot or don’t waste the money? Is the rpm wing mount worth it or does it break like the stock one?
You got this. All covered then. 300k is better than stock in the center. I cant find adequate diff fluids either. For many months now. Thicker in the center will will liven things up. Your range of pinions are very good. I would definitely concentrate on an upgrade ESC fan also. I see your weather is very hot where you are. I didn't know. 🤷‍♂️ Turning down Punch a notch can sometimes help with temps. FWIW. IMHO.
With my rtr Kraton, I'm on stock pinion with a locked center diff. It'll do standing backflips easy. Stock punch settings too. Backflips like a champ.

Need thicker fluid in the center.

Really? Hmm. The manual said not to use the bigger pinion for general bashing because of temps. I'm still on the stock one and on my last run the motor was too hot to keep my fingers on. I need some fans, and I should probably check the bearings out, make sure they're still packed with grease.

Do you have a fan and heatsink combo you could recommend?
You can try the stock Arrma Firma HS for your motor.. And a decent upgrade fan on top .

You got this. All covered then. 300k is better than stock in the center. I cant find adequate diff fluids either. For many months now. Thicker in the center will will liven things up. Your range of pinions are very good. I would definitely concentrate on an upgrade ESC fan also. I see your weather is very hot where you are. I didn't know. 🤷‍♂️ Turning down Punch a notch can sometimes help with temps. FWIW. IMHO.

You can try the stock Arrma Firma HS for your motor.. And a decent upgrade fan on top .
What brands offer good fans? (Sorry :x )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back