Good 1/10 motor and esc combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester194

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
I'm building a rlaarlo 917 and looking for a good setup for messing around in parking lots and burnouts ... I have 3 limitless so I figured it would be ok to ask about a different car and not get harassed lol

If you don't plan to speed run, I'd go Max10 G2 (140a version) and 3660 with a kv rating that aligns with your intended voltage.

If you see speed running in your future, I'd go MMX6S or MMX8S.

I have an MMX8S and 3660 6400kv in mine.

If you don't plan to speed run, I'd go Max10 G2 (140a version) and 3660 with a kv rating that aligns with your intended voltage.

The kv rating is where I get lost .. I'm not quite sure how that works

Every once in a while the Mamba Monster X and 2650kv motor combo go on sale on Amazon. That's a pretty good bet for 4s fun. Above 3000kv is gonna be hard on 4s to avoid heat issues.
As a general rule for bashing, I stick to the following:
4000kv or more is 2s max
3000 to 4000 is 3s max
2400 to 3000 is 4s max
1700 to 2400 is 6s max
1200 to 1700 is 8s max

There are exceptions and if you're talking speedrunning the rules change, but going higher kv and higher voltage than the above will almost certainly result in heat issues if you bash it.

3-4s and speed isn't that important as just being able to have fun and get sideways in parking lots and on my street
You can probably just plan on copying another 3s on-road car setup.
For example the VXL 4tec is a close example. They run 3s with a 3500kv.

They go plenty fast on 2s but on 3s absolutely rip. No need for 4s with what you described as your plan for the car. (plus 4s will be harder to fit under the body.)

+1

You can probably just plan on copying another 3s on-road car setup.
For example the VXL 4tec is a close example. They run 3s with a 3500kv.

They go plenty fast on 2s but on 3s absolutely rip. No need for 4s with what you described as your plan for the car. (plus 4s will be harder to fit under the body.)
3s would probably be what I'm doing anyways as I have a bunch of 3s batteries and not so many 4s...
3s would probably be what I'm doing anyways as I have a bunch of 3s batteries and not so many 4s...
I just want to make sure if I do go 4 that the esc and motor will be ok

I just want to make sure if I do go 4 that the esc and motor will be ok
Amazon has mamba x with 1406 2850kv for 220 and 1412 3200kv for a few bucks less thoughts?

Last edited:
Amazon has mamba x with 1406 2850kv for 220 and 1412 3200kv for a few bucks less thoughts?
That motor will take 4s no problem from a mechanical stand point, but it will build up heat very fast.
(16.8v * 3200kv = 53,760 rpms)
The castle motor is rated to 100,000 rpms.

That motor will take 4s no problem from a mechanical stand point, but it will build up heat very fast.
(16.8v * 3200kv = 53,760 rpms)
The castle motor is rated to 100,000 rpms
I'm assuming that setup will be a substantial upgrade from the brushless rlaarlo setup that came in it... It has the 120 amp esc and 3660 motor in it stock now

I'm assuming that setup will be a substantial upgrade from the brushless rlaarlo setup that came in it... It has the 120 amp esc and 3660 motor in it stock now
What are you hoping to gain by upgrading? 120 amp esc and 3660 is nothing to sneeze at. But replacing it for no reason is somewhat pointless.

What are you hoping to gain by upgrading? 120 amp esc and 3660 is nothing to sneeze at. But replacing it for no reason is somewhat pointless.
I want to be able to launch well and smoke the tires.. pretty much just mess around with it... The rlaarlo motor just doesn't have the low end torque... My limitless just launches while this thing bogs down

It's it's torque and low end you're after, you will probably not do better than the Max8 2500kv combo on sale on Tower right now. You'll have to gear up quite a bit for 3s but 4s will be most excellent.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...nd-42682500kv-g2-motor-combo/HWI38010404.html
Or if you don't wanna wait for Tower to get stock, it's a bit more on Hobbywing's site with code EXOCAGEDRC for 10% off instead of 15% on Tower.

It's it's torque and low end you're after, you will probably not do better than the Max8 2500kv combo on sale on Tower right now. You'll have to gear up quite a bit for 3s but 4s will be most excellent.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...nd-42682500kv-g2-motor-combo/HWI38010404.html
Or if you don't wanna wait for Tower to get stock, it's a bit more on Hobbywing's site with code EXOCAGEDRC for 10% off instead of 15% on Tower.
That wouldn’t fit. The Rlaarlo is limited to 36mm diameter motors.
The rlaarlo motor just doesn't have the low end torque
Have you considered pairing a bigger motor with the stock ESC. 3674, for example.

That wouldn’t fit. The Rlaarlo is limited to 36mm diameter motors.

Have you considered pairing a bigger motor with the stock ESC. 3674, for example.
Oh shoot that is a shame. Yeah could always go with some ridiculous TP power motor, or just a Kraton/Outcast 4s 3668 motor off jennys for pretty cheap. But best bet if it has to be 36mm for a combo is probably Max 10 G2 2400kv or Mamba X 1415 2400kv since they'll be sensored. That will help for best off the line throttle response.

I want to be able to launch well and smoke the tires.. pretty much just mess around with it... The rlaarlo motor just doesn't have the low end torque... My limitless just launches while this thing bogs down
I think all you really need is an ESC.
What KV is in your car now? If it is in the 2500-4000kv range then all you need is a better ESC to power it.

I think all you really need is an ESC.
What KV is in your car now? If it is in the 2500-4000kv range then all you need is a better ESC to power it.
Motor is 3900 kv so right on the boarder line 4000 mark...
Motor is 3900 kv so right on the boarder line 4000 mark...
I'd like to do the most cost effective upgrade as Christmas is coming so funds kind of limited but I also don't want to waste a few hundred for minimal difference,that's why I figured I'd ask the pros

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back