Good 1/10 motor and esc combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor is 3900 kv so right on the boarder line 4000 mark...

I'd like to do the most cost effective upgrade as Christmas is coming so funds kind of limited but I also don't want to waste a few hundred for minimal difference,that's why I figured I'd ask the pros
So what would be best esc choice do you think

This just went on sale on Amazon with 5percent off plus I have a gift card or the same esc with 2850 combo What do you guys think would fit me best

Screenshot_20231206-104454.png

Not sure if this will physically fit but the MM2 retro outputs much higher amperage than most ESCs this size.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/monster-v2-retro-1-24sw-sold-as-is-010-0108-98

"V1.24 RETRO software has NO power limiting features whatsoever, so you'll get EVERYTHING your setup can put out!
These are a one time only deal and extremely limited quantity so get them while they last! We will NOT be making these again! Don’t kick yourself later for buying just one!!!"

Not sure if this will physically fit but the MM2 retro outputs much higher amperage than most ESCs this size.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/monster-v2-retro-1-24sw-sold-as-is-010-0108-98

"V1.24 RETRO software has NO power limiting features whatsoever, so you'll get EVERYTHING your setup can put out!
These are a one time only deal and extremely limited quantity so get them while they last! We will NOT be making these again! Don’t kick yourself later for buying just one!!!"
I ordered one. We will see if it fits

Is that more powerful than an MMX6S?

Is that more powerful than an MMX6S?
Not sure to be honest. Probably pretty similar.
From memory people were able to get higher speeds with this ESC than the MMX6s but you don't see it very often in speed runners anymore now that the MMX8s and XLX2 are around.

Not sure to be honest. Probably pretty similar.
From memory people were able to get higher speeds with this ESC than the MMX6s but you don't see it very often in speed runners anymore now that the MMX8s and XLX2 are around.
So I ended up getting an mmx8s for my rlaarlo and a 1412 6400kv castle motor with 40 tooth pinion.. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Hit 79 with 3s and light on throttle and it smokes tires under full throttle... Here is data log can anyone tell me if I should be worried about the ripple or is it acceptable
IMG_20231220_144415959.jpg

So I ended up getting an mmx8s for my rlaarlo and a 1412 6400kv castle motor with 40 tooth pinion.. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Hit 79 with 3s and light on throttle and it smokes tires under full throttle... Here is data log can anyone tell me if I should be worried about the ripple or is it acceptable View attachment 338029
That is acceptable ripple.

So I ended up getting an mmx8s for my rlaarlo and a 1412 6400kv castle motor with 40 tooth pinion.. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Hit 79 with 3s and light on throttle and it smokes tires under full throttle... Here is data log can anyone tell me if I should be worried about the ripple or is it acceptable View attachment 338029
I have a similar setup but have a TP motor. It's a bit psychotic to drive or it could the loose nut behind the wheel too.

My build thread.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/

Looks great man! Pics of mine below. MMX8S and HW 3660 4000kv. I just bought a Castle 6400kv but haven’t installed it yet. Glad to hear you like it.

View attachment 338075
View attachment 338076
Looks great... I like the servo mount idea. I had to space mine to fit mmx8... What mod1 gear setup are you guys using cause I need to upgrade to it... I have a ton of gears from my limitless

Looks great... I like the servo mount idea. I had to space mine to fit mmx8... What mod1 gear setup are you guys using cause I need to upgrade to it... I have a ton of gears from my limitless
Thanks. I moved the servo to keep the weight forward biased and also to leave room for long motors. Having the servo on the driver side does limit battery options though.

None of my Mod1 pinions fit the spacing for a spur gear so I designed and printed one. My expectations weren't high but it seems to be holding up great.

I read somewhere that Powerhobby pinions have a narrow enough shoulder to fit the spur spacing. Might be worth a try.

If you just want to smoke the tires, and drift around, just get any 6s ESC and a motor that will fit and run it on 4s packs.

If you just want to smoke the tires, and drift around, just get any 6s ESC and a motor that will fit and run it on 4s packs.
Can anyone send a link for a good set of foam tires for this rc.... I've been using contact foams but they seem to just be mediocre... If not foam can you recommend any good rubber tires.. now that I did 79 mph with this thing I have the problem you guys all talked about with needing to go faster ...

Thanks. I moved the servo to keep the weight forward biased and also to leave room for long motors. Having the servo on the driver side does limit battery options though.

None of my Mod1 pinions fit the spacing for a spur gear so I designed and printed one. My expectations weren't high but it seems to be holding up great.

I read somewhere that Powerhobby pinions have a narrow enough shoulder to fit the spur spacing. Might be worth a try.
To put mod1 spur did you 3d print that also. Ill figure some out for pinion but the spur is what I'm concerned with fitment

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back