Got my new Savage XS today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like my kinda wild 😎
I've been having evil thoughts about dropping a 4S ESC combo in and seeing what happens.
Finally got a chance to run this thing. It’s incredible. Handles great, lands jumps way better than a truck this small should, and it’s stupid fast for its size on 3s. It was incredibly fun… until it wasn’t. It came off of a jump wrong, I punched it to correct it, and misjudged how close to the ground it was. View attachment 341990
Stupid pot metal gears. Ordered a machined replacement, as well as new slipper pads. I take responsibility for this one, since I’ve been doing this long enough to know better. It just sucks that I had so much fun with this thing, now it’ll be Sunday before I get to run it again. It’s so good, I love this thing. It drives like a squirrel on meth.
Check your slipper pads. The green on the back of the pinion is the same colour as the pads. Looks like it may have disintergrated the pads.

I've been having evil thoughts about dropping a 4S ESC combo in and seeing what happens.

Beautiful carnage my friend, beautiful carnage.

Please invest in a GoPro as well because I'd love to see this.
Seems like some upgraded gears would be in short order. Tires would likely not be to happy either.

Beautiful carnage my friend, beautiful carnage.

Please invest in a GoPro as well because I'd love to see this.
Seems like some upgraded gears would be in short order. Tires would likely not be to happy either.
I have a go pro, might be best to tear down the XS and make sure it is an as good condition as possible to take the beating.

Wow, don't think I have seen a gear that shredded before. Nice work! 😆
Thank you sir, I rolled a 1 on driving skill that day, and this poor gear was the victim. The new hardened replacement should fix this nicely.

I got it back together, ready for round 2. Might try a 2s LiHv on her tomorrow to try out the battery and see how it does on 2s. Then I’ll pop in the 3s and wreak havoc again.

^^Best description of the XS!!!!! The short wheelbase and track combined with a 3S battery and the high speed gearing make for an equally enjoyable and terrifying drive.

I think at one point I had the idler gear go out on me, but that was due to a bearing failure. I took the opportunity to put the high speed one in and keep the grin factor up.
I like Jangs description he called it a little bundle of insanity.

I like Jangs description he called it a little bundle of insanity.
It truly is. It broke towards the end of the battery, and I could still hold my finger on the motor without burning it. This thing can handle higher gearing without any problems, but it definitely doesn’t need it. Great truck.

It truly is. It broke towards the end of the battery, and I could still hold my finger on the motor without burning it. This thing can handle higher gearing without any problems, but it definitely doesn’t need it. Great truck.

From everything I have ever seen or heard of the XS the only bad thing about it is that maintenance can be a little tedious.

From everything I have ever seen or heard of the XS the only bad thing about it is that maintenance can be a little tedious.
It’s not as bad as I thought it would be honestly. You can remove either the front assembly or the rear by only removing 3 screws. It does suck to get to the pinion, as you have to remove the transmission, but overall not too bad.

Some tasks are tedious if you don't read the manual...like someone I know.....

Diffs are 2 clips and 4 screws.

Pinion/slipper is a bit involved as you have to remove 6 screws to get the slipper/motor unit out, then another 6 or so to open the case. Pinion choices are limited to 8, 4 for each idler gear.

Space is at a premium due to the scale.

I spent maybe an hour last night pulling the the diffs, transmission and axles down to check all the bearings.

In doing so I remembered that I had installed front universals as sometimes the front axles would pop out as the drive cups got some wear on them.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back