Got my new Savage XS today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
My Savage XS showed up today, and upon first inspection, it’s an extremely well built rig. The suspension is very plush, and I can tell that it is built for big air.
IMG_1788.jpeg

But there’s a problem. I don’t have a 3s battery that fits. The worst part, is it’s so close!! I have 3 different styles of 3s batteries, none fit. The battery box is a stressed member, so I really don’t want to modify it. Looks like I need to order some batteries. Bummer.
IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

I guess I can run it on 2s…

My Savage XS showed up today, and upon first inspection, it’s an extremely well built rig. The suspension is very plush, and I can tell that it is built for big air. View attachment 340997
But there’s a problem. I don’t have a 3s battery that fits. The worst part, is it’s so close!! I have 3 different styles of 3s batteries, none fit. The battery box is a stressed member, so I really don’t want to modify it. Looks like I need to order some batteries. Bummer.
View attachment 340998
View attachment 340999
View attachment 341000
View attachment 341001
I guess I can run it on 2s…

Why did they make the battery compartment SO Short!?
Especially when they knew they were integrating the cavity into the chassis itself.
Usually you would give a bit more room and use spacers to take up the extra space when you design something like this.
Odd.

But, other than that , it looks quite Beefy!

Why did they make the battery compartment SO Short!?
Especially when they knew they were integrating the cavity into the chassis itself.
Usually you would give a bit more room and use spacers to take up the extra space when you design something like this.
Odd.

But, other than that , it looks quite Beefy!
Yep, the worst part is, that g-ace LiHv is like 1.5mm too long. That was heartbreaking. My best 3s battery would have been awesome in there.

Congrats on the new rig!! Sorry aboot the battery woes.. looks alot like the Erevo battery compartment..the one that flies open during a hard bash! LOL. Hopefully HPI battery door stays shut. Nice looking rig! I can imagine it's a screamer on 3s!😎

Congrats on the new rig!! Sorry aboot the battery woes.. looks alot like the Erevo battery compartment..the one that flies open during a hard bash! LOL. Hopefully HPI battery door stays shut. Nice looking rig! I can imagine it's a screamer on 3s!😎
I’ve been checking it over, and it’s a really well built rig. My new 3s will be here Monday. I’ve already swapped out receivers, soldered on an ic5, and done the traditional living room test drive. Seems pretty decent on 2s.

I’ve owned about a half dozen nitro Savages, going back to the OG .21. I’ve always liked HPI’s designs and quality. I may just have to get an XL Flux soon.

That thing looks stout! The battery situation is a bummer for sure, but man that truck looks very well constructed.
Man, HPI has been making monster trucks like this for so long, that they have it perfected. The Savage series is legendary for being tanks.

I got my XS about 7 or so years ago. It is indeed a tough little unit. The main wear items for me were the front diff and the slipper pads. I shelved it a while ago when parts were scarce and the future of HPI was in doubt.

The battery compartment is a limiting, from memory I used mostly Turnighy 3S 3600 soft packs in it.

It was my go to fun truck for a long time. Now might be a good time to dust it off and take it for a run.

Man, HPI has been making monster trucks like this for so long, that they have it perfected. The Savage series is legendary for being tanks.
It is one hell of a tank. From memory is was designed as 1/12 scale with 1/10 scale wheels and drive train. This may explain the smaller battery compartment. When it was released I don't think there were many options for high capacity 3S batteries, but I suspect it all came down to a space compromise based on the chassis design.

The battery compartment is a little weird in how it closes, some batteries fit in but may not allow the compartment to close.

It is one hell of a tank. From memory is was designed as 1/12 scale with 1/10 scale wheels and drive train. This may explain the smaller battery compartment. When it was released I don't think there were many options for high capacity 3S batteries, but I suspect it all came down to a space compromise based on the chassis design.

The battery compartment is a little weird in how it closes, some batteries fit in but may not allow the compartment to close.
Thanks for the heads up about the battery compartment. I really hope the one I ordered is going to fit.

That thing is sweet!

Finally got a chance to run this thing. It’s incredible. Handles great, lands jumps way better than a truck this small should, and it’s stupid fast for its size on 3s. It was incredibly fun… until it wasn’t. It came off of a jump wrong, I punched it to correct it, and misjudged how close to the ground it was.
IMG_1842.jpeg

Stupid pot metal gears. Ordered a machined replacement, as well as new slipper pads. I take responsibility for this one, since I’ve been doing this long enough to know better. It just sucks that I had so much fun with this thing, now it’ll be Sunday before I get to run it again. It’s so good, I love this thing. It drives like a squirrel on meth.

It drives like a squirrel on meth.
^^Best description of the XS!!!!! The short wheelbase and track combined with a 3S battery and the high speed gearing make for an equally enjoyable and terrifying drive.

I think at one point I had the idler gear go out on me, but that was due to a bearing failure. I took the opportunity to put the high speed one in and keep the grin factor up.

Always wanted one of these! Curious as to your thoughts longer term on this. I have a old Bullet, loved the stock electronics on it, buttery smooth on 3s. But it didn't take to hard bashing very well... However, with some mods it's taken 4s speed running like a champ at 90mph, so i definitely have a soft spot for HPI :cool:

I bashed mine for 5 yrs with little regard to maintenance. The front diff let go due to to hard braking, the slipper pads are a wear item and the idler gear due to no care being given....at the time (I have learnt from my mistakes

It was simply charge it up and go. During the period of HPIs uncertainty, spare parts were scarce especially the slipper pads.

After this thread I think it is time to take her off the shelf and go have some fun again.

Finally got a chance to run this thing. It’s incredible. Handles great, lands jumps way better than a truck this small should, and it’s stupid fast for its size on 3s. It was incredibly fun… until it wasn’t. It came off of a jump wrong, I punched it to correct it, and misjudged how close to the ground it was. View attachment 341990
Stupid pot metal gears. Ordered a machined replacement, as well as new slipper pads. I take responsibility for this one, since I’ve been doing this long enough to know better. It just sucks that I had so much fun with this thing, now it’ll be Sunday before I get to run it again. It’s so good, I love this thing. It drives like a squirrel on meth.
Wow, don't think I have seen a gear that shredded before. Nice work! 😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back