Gp5 diffs Kraton 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenderDennis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Raider
  3. Senton 3s
Hi there, I have 2 gp5 diffs practically new, laying around and Im thinking about to put them in my build project Kraton 6S. Is that a good thing or a bad thing to do?
I understand that the inputgears are different.
And can somebody explain to me the difference in a GP4 and GP5?

Thanx!

GP4 is a SPIRAL cut gear
GP5 is a Straight cut gear
What that means is that you have to have a matching input gear - straight input gear with straight cut ring gear, and spiral cut input gear with spiral cut ring gear. You can't mix and match.

So with the right input gears you can use gp5 diffs, but they are geared much higher. Unless you are gonna use GT onroad tyres you will have to find the smallest possible pinion with a low kv motor to get anywhere near a useable transmission.
Thars helpful, thanx!

Yeah, that was obvious ;-)
I mean what the driving is doing with GP5 instead of GP4.
All things equal .. drive similar or the same. ( Open Open diffs )
If running LSD GP4's, then things with handle differently indeed.

I recently installed LSD GP4's in both the Typhon ( @ a year ago ) and Kraton a couple months ago.
* The Typhon runs awesome on F/R LSD's & heavy @ 700,000 Open center )
* The Kraton not so much liking an open rear w/ 20,000 and heavy @ 700,000 Open center.

This for Track Bashing was found best.

GP4 Spiral cut gears are the UPGRADE ... GP5 straight cut gears if having 4's already is a downgrade.

GP4 Spiral cut gears are the UPGRADE ... GP5 straight cut gears if having 4's already is a downgrade.
Thats really not true at all. It just depends on what you want. Spiral cut gears like the GP4 are stronger, and better for off road bashers. They suck on street cars, though. You can’t get the gearing you need on a speed runner with GP4’s. They are the last thing to consider an “upgrade” for that usage. There are many things to take into consideration when choosing diffs for your particular application.

Thats really not true at all. It just depends on what you want. Spiral cut gears like the GP4 are stronger, and better for off road bashers. They suck on street cars, though. You can’t get the gearing you need on a speed runner with GP4’s. They are the last thing to consider an “upgrade” for that usage. There are many things to take into consideration when choosing diffs for your particular application.
Not being a street go faster .. Can certainly see the GP5 as a HIGHER GEARING advantage in that application ... Tho can stated the GP4's are the stronger and more on spec/design to actual real car use specification.

Not being a street go faster .. Can certainly see the GP5 as a HIGHER GEARING advantage in that application ... Tho can stated the GP4's are the stronger and more on spec/design to actual real car use specification.
Yes, spiral cut gears are stronger. There are several gearing options available for off road bashing and you don’t have to be married to just the GP4’s, you can set up your rig for what you want to do.

Back