Heatsink for HW 1650kv (EZ-RUN 4985SL)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.WaCko

Reaction score
I've been looking for a heatsink to mount 2 fans to fit my Hobbywing 1650KV motor it has a diameter of 49mm and a length of 86.5mm
So far no luck yet, perhaps anyone of you have a solution already for this motor or can point me in the right direction

thanks in advance!

I've been looking for a heatsink to mount 2 fans to fit my Hobbywing 1650KV motor it has a diameter of 49mm and a length of 86.5mm
So far no luck yet, perhaps anyone of you have a solution already for this motor or can point me in the right direction

thanks in advance!
I've heard the powerhobby or yeah racing twin fan heatsink will fit. I have the same motor, I ordered the powerhobby twin heatsink from Amazon and it should be here Wednesday. I'll report back once I install it

those heatsiniks are designed for a motor with a 40mm diameter, for the 4985 and the castle 1717 you should look at either the kraton 8s or xmaxx heatsink.

That particular motor shouldn't run hot in general if setup properly.
A decent 40mm fan and a fan mount is all that you need, if that.
Skip the Heat Sink. You don't need one. A HS that doesn't fit precisely (universal types with inefficient surface area contact) works against you, affords less thermal heat exchange than using a fan alone.
The motor IS a HS. Many don't understand that.
The YR/Ph HS fan is TOO small for that 4985SL. (n) The 30mm Fans have little CFM capacity for that motor if it does run hot anyway.(n)

Last edited:
That particular motor shouldn't run hot in general if setup properly.
A decent 40mm fan and a fan mount is all that you need, if that.
Skip the Heat Sink. You don't need one. A HS that doesn't fit precisely (universal types with inefficient surface area contact) works against you, affords less thermal heat exchange than using a fan alone.
The motor IS a HS. Many don't understand that.
The YR/Ph HS fan is TOO small for that 4985SL. (n) The 30mm Fans have little CFM capacity for that motor if it does run hot anyway.(n)
Thanks for this clarification. So let's refocus the discussion on fan mounts for this motor (49mm). Tried to do a search on this as well however it did not yield any results. Happy to get ideas and thoughts to have something fitting

I just ordered this and will mount it on my max6 combo once it has arrived. The fan mount are actually for 42mm motors but can be streched to fit the 49mm one according to a friend who did this.
My plan is mounting two fans on the motor in a 45 degree angle with one mount each on the outside. (Will connect them somehow for stability)
The 3rd one goes on the esc..
Will post some pics when its done...
Screenshot_20210217-085256_AliExpress.jpg

I just ordered this and will mount it on my max6 combo once it has arrived. The fan mount are actually for 42mm motors but can be streched to fit the 49mm one according to a friend who did this.
My plan is mounting two fans on the motor in a 45 degree angle with one mount each on the outside. (Will connect them somehow for stability)
Will post some pics when its done...View attachment 127090
Yes pls also please share a bit more on how you bend the material as I am not very technical nor handy ;)

Will post some pics when its done...View attachment 127090
I have those motor mounts for my 40-42mm cans. Fine for 42mm cans at that. I just don't know how its going to fit or be Made to fit your size motor. 🤷‍♂️ Go for it I guess.
I also tried those fans they are decent in the 40mm version with 7.4v BEC. They are screamers.

Here's the powerhobby twin fan on the hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor. The aluminum is very soft so you just press it to motor and it stretches wider and fits perfect. I installed this last night, haven't put fans on yet tho I'm gonna solder wires and put braided sleeve on. Should have it done tonight after work

20210216_200424.jpg

20210216_200435.jpg

20210216_200448.jpg

20210216_201810.jpg

^^^ looks functional to me. A stretch but, but Made it work. 🤷‍♂️

I tried to stretch my Hobbywing heatsink over that motor and gave up lol.
Yea I also tried the C4 hobbywing heatsink fan combo, my hands were all bloody trying to get that thing on. I finally did but then you need to cut some heatsink for roll cage. That aluminum is really thick so when u stretch and bent it to fit motor it does. Are the best contact to the motor so I didn't use it. But the twinfan heatsink seems to work great!

20210217_201833.jpg

Hobbywing version is a pita and I had to use a vice to bend it into submission but it is always a bad fit.
Double heatsink is an easy stretch, just need longer screws. The open design blows air right on the motor which should also work better than the Hobbywing type. I had to trim some fins on either one.

With as popular as this motor is I am really surprised there isn't a heatsink for it.

Here's the powerhobby twin fan on the hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor. The aluminum is very soft so you just press it to motor and it stretches wider and fits perfect. I installed this last night, haven't put fans on yet tho I'm gonna solder wires and put braided sleeve on. Should have it done tonight after work

View attachment 127108

View attachment 127109

View attachment 127110

View attachment 127111
This is very helpful! Did the stretch not kill the angle of the fan mount points? So do the fans still fit on top of the original screw holes after streching or did you have to perform some 'magic'?

This is very helpful! Did the stretch not kill the angle of the fan mount points? So do the fans still fit on top of the original screw holes after streching or did you have to perform some 'magic'?
I was on one these threads months ago asking the same question! Like @slick2500 said, I'm amazed nobody makes a mount for this popular motor. I'll upload some images of what I'm using. I running this motor on two of my rigs.

688262CC-6585-4050-A05A-1083DC7E81E4.jpeg

839938F7-360C-4D97-9291-4F5BEFCB8F10.jpeg

3A342BAC-A32A-4460-A73C-0171AB9D8F91.jpeg

B3D6F04F-AA82-4F00-8C2C-448C3C31C4B7.jpeg

A97C42F9-9753-4899-9FEC-786FE30307FD.jpeg

58E84DE8-72F3-4913-BCA6-2675D9C85A48.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back