Help me pick an rc work stand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
I was looking for some feedback on the various different rc work stands that are available on the market. I am looking for something that will be able to hold vehicles from 1/14 to 1/8th scale, I would like something that you can easily spin the car on, it needs to be tall enough to leave the wheels on and it needs to not be wobbly.

I currently have the Duratrax Pit Tech Deluxe car stand and it does not fit any of the criteria I listed above, it doesn't spin easily( the cars constantly come off while trying to spin, the wheels on my Outcast touch my work table when they are mounted to the truck and it wobbles way too much.

Honestly I am just looking for something better than the Durtrax one and I don't want to just start tossing money at car stands hoping to get one I want.

Thanks in advance,
Slick.

Solution
I just received my AMZ HobbyPark 6 1/4" stand. It has a ballast weight at the bottom, and a magnet. It also has 2 grub screws that secure the shaft vs one for my old 3 1/2" version,which has no bottom weight or magnet. The old one is used more as my my shock and diff building stand.

20201218_234109.jpg

20201218_215716.jpg

20201218_215619.jpg

20201218_215514.jpg

20201218_215348.jpg

20201218_192758.jpg

20201218_195118.jpg

20201218_214238.jpg

20201218_214554.jpg
Same dilemma. Didn't like what I saw. I was going to build one with a BB swivel.
But on Monday I ordered this one on AMZ. It is taller than the one I have already. Same type. But it has weight ballast for the bottom and rises 6" tall.
I would believe it may wobble. Haven't received mine yet. There really aren't many choices out there. The DTX didn't look all that Height wise. Yet is popular for 1/10 scale rigs.

Amazon.com: Hobbypark Aluminum RC Car Stand Work Station Repair Tools for 1/12 1/10 1/8 Crawler Truck Buggy Traxxas TRX4 Redcat Axial RC4WD HPI Losi: Toys & Games

I know about this one. But it seems too small and flimsy. I need one for my 1/8 scale stuff. I don't knoe how tall it goes. but the picture and proportions don't look like its tall enough for me. I need at least 6" height for myself.
RPM R/C Products 73002 RPM73002 Pit-Pro Extreme Car Stand Black 672415730027 | eBay

Last edited:
Same dilemma. Didn't like what I saw. I was going to build one with a BB swivel.
But on Monday I ordered this one on AMZ. It is taller than the one I have already. Same type. But it has weight ballast for the bottom and rises 6" tall.
I would believe it may wobble. Haven't received mine yet. There really aren't many choices out there. The DTX didn't look all that Height wise. Yet is popular for 1/10 scale rigs.

Amazon.com: Hobbypark Aluminum RC Car Stand Work Station Repair Tools for 1/12 1/10 1/8 Crawler Truck Buggy Traxxas TRX4 Redcat Axial RC4WD HPI Losi: Toys & Games

I know about this one. But it seems too small and flimsy. I need one for my 1/8 scale stuff. I don't knoe how tall it goes. but the picture and proportions don't look like its tall enough for me. I need at least 6" height for myself.
RPM R/C Products 73002 RPM73002 Pit-Pro Extreme Car Stand Black 672415730027 | eBay

That Hobbypark is the one I have been eyeballing. Need to look through the reviews, when I look at reviews I find it best to look at the 3 star and lower reviews as that will give you a better idea what kind of issues to expect, most of the 4 and 5 star reviews are either people getting paid to review or people who used the item for a day. The strange this is the Hobbypark doesn't have any written 3 or 2 star reviews and only 1 1 star review.

I saw that Rpm one but it seemed to have rather poor reviews.

I've got 2 of the Hobbypark and they work ok. I've got my Kraton and my Infraction sitting on those. Swivels easy and wheels are off the ground with room to spare (~1/2" with Backflips) in it's lowest setting (Kraton). Can easily be raised higher.
In the lowest setting it does not wobble but obviously you can swivel only to one side (screw type). The higher you go the more it will wobble but I bet you could tighten it up a bit. It's a large alu screw mechansim with some slop.

I also have the Duratrax and that one sucks in comparison. My Talion is sitting on that one, my Infraction wouldn't sit stable on it and the Kraton tires would bottom out.

Order from Amazon, try it out and return for free.

The Hobby Park has been around for a while and is merely stamped, copied by others. But this HobbyPark stands out because of the weight ballast included because it sits higher. I may mod it to make it work. Maybe use a wider base attached to it if its not sturdy enough. Maybe even a wider top to capture my 1/8 rigs. The main reason I got this one. The shorter version of this tha I already have is barely tall enough for my 1/10 Truggies. Pretty much identical except for the taller shaft and additional weight ballast at the bottom on the one I just ordered.
I did a google of RC car stand reviews and came up with the DTX and the Hobby park as the most reviewed and popular. But there really aren't many. I hear there were some nice custom made ones for large scale. That's it. ?‍♂️
I've got 2 of the Hobbypark and they work ok. I've got my Kraton and my Infraction sitting on those. Swivels easy and wheels are off the ground with room to spare (~1/2" with Backflips) in it's lowest setting (Kraton). Can easily be raised higher.
In the lowest setting it does not wobble but obviously you can swivel only to one side (screw type). The higher you go the more it will wobble but I bet you could tighten it up a bit. It's a large alu screw mechansim with some slop.

I also have the Duratrax and that one sucks in comparison. My Talion is sitting on that one, my Infraction wouldn't sit stable on it and the Kraton tires would bottom out.

Order from Amazon, try it out and return for free.
Yeah the higher you go and it wobbles. I took the set screw out and screwed in a socket hex screw for secure more bite. But swiveling gets restricted. I think this can be modded to get it the way you want with the key parts that are there already.?‍♂️ It needs a wider base. Maybe a plate or piece of wood.
I am still waiting for mine ( taller version) from AMZ prime. It snowed here pretty good , so it may not be here tomorrow as stated.

Last edited:
Find a stand that is sturdy and tall enough for your needs, then place it on a lazy susan. I have been using a lazy susan for a long time, it works great, much more stable to work on and still spins like a charm.

The more conventional one is the https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopow...um-car-stand-w-shock-holder-ecp-3001/p1154834. It is just under 4.5" in height.
That's the one I have, I like it. They had them for $19.95 for Black Friday deal. ball detent swivel, drilled for attaching to base/feet, and works great for me. Only negative is that didn't come with any kind of rubber feet for setting on my Formica countertop, so slid around out of the box, easy fix with some random stick on bumper style feet I had laying around.

I have the Hobbystar, at least it looks exactly the same. For the kraton with wheels on you need to get the stand in high position and it is OK. Not great, not bad though. For the kraton I would have liked it to be a bit bigger/wider and better locking mechanism. I set the grub really tight and it did not wobble anymore, but after you turn it a few times it starts to get loser and more wobbly.
On the other hand it was cheap so can‘t really complain.

I prefer to stand when I turn wrenches so I use an adjustable lab jack and have found that this works best for me.
View attachment 114760View attachment 114761
View attachment 114763

https://www.amazon.com/Laboratory-S...keywords=lab+jack+200mm&qid=1608335713&sr=8-9
I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit a turntable to the top of that? :unsure:
I have two types of stands that I like for different reasons. The more conventional one is the https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopow...um-car-stand-w-shock-holder-ecp-3001/p1154834. It is just under 4.5" in height. The other ones I just mostly is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4B1MX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if the 4" side isn't high enough use the 6" side. They are also easy to trim, I did that to make one fit a lazy susan off amazon. Good luck...

Hurricane

Find a stand that is sturdy and tall enough for your needs, then place it on a lazy susan. I have been using a lazy susan for a long time, it works great, much more stable to work on and still spins like a charm.

Do you have a link to one by chance?

I just received my AMZ HobbyPark 6 1/4" stand. It has a ballast weight at the bottom, and a magnet. It also has 2 grub screws that secure the shaft vs one for my old 3 1/2" version,which has no bottom weight or magnet. The old one is used more as my my shock and diff building stand.

20201218_234109.jpg

20201218_215716.jpg

20201218_215619.jpg

20201218_215514.jpg

20201218_215348.jpg

20201218_192758.jpg

20201218_195118.jpg

20201218_214238.jpg

20201218_214554.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

View attachment 114805

View attachment 114806

View attachment 114807

View attachment 114808

View attachment 114809

View attachment 114810

View attachment 114811

View attachment 114812

View attachment 114813
This looks to be exactly what I am looking for. How wobbly is it though?

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.:ROFLMAO:

Edit:
Its doable for a $25 stand. Should it be cheaper? Maybe its over priced for what it is. IDK. The smaller ones can be had fairly cheap by comparison.
Since there are 2 set crews opposing each other on the shaft, you can snug them enough to counter any shaft play. Minimal wobble if any, that could be a nuisance IMHO. The base is plenty wide enough for the weight of a heavy 1/8 scale. It wont tip over at all while working and rotating it.?‍♂️ The ballast weight really helps. I may add a weight to the bottom of my old one.
I pretty much realized what I was buying ahead of time, only because I've had the light duty, short one, for a few year snow. I didn't like the DTX or the copies of them. I was so close to sourcing materials to build nice homebrew one. Materials can add up. And when it comes to tools and stuff I just want to buy them, have them quickly. I am lazy sometimes like that. :cool:

Edit:
BTW, I TL'ed all fasteners.
My older one I didn't, and the screws loosened over time with use. FWIW.
A dedicated car stand should rotate well enough. It helps with wrenching and keeps your bench clear for the tools. If it doesn't rotate, a block of wood or similar does the same thing. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
The above style stands that @SrC has shown work well, but I wish they had a bigger platform on the upper surface, could easily add one even though I haven't yet. I locked mine tight so it doesn't swivel, since I use the lazy susan.
I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit a turntable to the top of that? :unsure:

Do you have a link to one by chance?
No link, but here is a pic of my stand and lazy Susan. I think the lazy Susan came from Costco about 25 years ago, but I'm sure Amazon and others have a bunch to select from.
PSX_20201219_210042.jpg

Might not work for you but I use a 2 gallon Home Depot bucket upside down and cut a foam mat to fit in the circle. I use it for my Super Rock Rey and the Mojave EXB. Fits me perfect because I am tall when I sit down (others might have a problem). Plus with the mat it spins very smooth. Just a suggestion.

Back