Kraton Hi, Ive just bought my son the Kraton for Christmas,do I get 4s or 6s lipo? or two 3s ?Also will the brand of battery make a difference ? thankyou

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,ive been looking at the 3s lipo batteries from amazon and I can't find any with the ic5 connector, most have ec5 or deans T connector.
Im looking at the zeee brand . help !! :)
EC5 is the same and compatible with IC5. I have had good experience with Zeee batteries and others have done well with Hoovo.

I got my son a Kraton EXB for Christmas last year and he was 10. He is careful with it and drives very well. Better than I do! He is 11 now and we have a much bigger motor in it than stock. It has been great fun and very tough!

I have 9 year old girls and they each have a Vorteks. They are super fast and the girls prefer to run them on 75%

You will have to use Spektrum lipos to get IC5 connectors. I don't recommend Spektrum lipos however. Expensive and don't' perform like many others at 1/2 the price. The only advantage with the Smart having the IC5 connector is Smart features at the radio and requiring to have Spektrum charger to see additional Smart charging features. Any EC5 connector lipo of another brand will perfectly connect to an IC5 ESC on the Kraton. Both connectors are a compatible fit by design.:cool:
BTW, my son at 11 yo is now running his Notorious on full 6s power and also his 6s Infraction close to 100mph. Kids have great eye hand coordination once they devlope the skills. Kids just need alot of safe space to run these powerful 50 mph 13 pound rigs away from people and animals for the most part. Need some supervision also. Been there.

Last edited:
You will have to use Spektrum lipos to get IC5 connectors. I don't recommend Spektrum lipos however. Expensive and dot perform like many others at 1/2 the price. The only advantage with the Smart having the IC5 connector is SMart features at the radio and reuiring to have Spektrum charger to see additional SMart charging features. Any EC5 connector lipo of anther brand will perfectly connect to an IC5 ESC with the Kraton. Both connectors are a compatible fit by design.:cool:
You know what @SrC .. Im about done with you throwing my Co. Under the bus, u better knock it off!!🤣

I got a 1 1/2 year old 2s hoovo, the total IRs are 7, 3 and 4. I think that’s great for a cheap LiPo!

You will have to use Spektrum lipos to get IC5 connectors. I don't recommend Spektrum lipos however. Expensive and don't' perform like many others at 1/2 the price. The only advantage with the Smart having the IC5 connector is Smart features at the radio and requiring to have Spektrum charger to see additional Smart charging features. Any EC5 connector lipo of another brand will perfectly connect to an IC5 ESC on the Kraton. Both connectors are a compatible fit by design.:cool:
BTW, my son at 11 yo is now running his Notorious on full 6s power and also his 6s Infraction close to 100mph. Kids have great eye hand coordination once they devlope the skills. Kids just need alot of safe space to run these powerful 50 mph 13 pound rigs away from people and animals for the most part. Need some supervision also. Been there.
Thank you, my son has only just turned 10,he is fantastic in controlling his other rc car hence going up in speed, I
do agree children tend to have very good eye hand coordination.He is sensible and would only drive as fast as he feels comfortable.
I wasn't aware that ic5 and ec5 were compatible thank you

Yeah, there can be much confusion with these 2 Horizon Hobby Brand connectors. Thought I would clear that up.
Another post by @Senton_Prime stated the same in regards.(y)
:cool:

I use Zeee brand batteries in both 2s and 3s in various capacities, C ratings, and connector types, and I've never had an issue with any of them. When Amazon puts them on sale you can often get two for the price of one of the other brands of batteries.

My Zeee Single 6s brick Lipo is one of my worst performing packs and got tired faster than most others here . (6k Mah/50c) Still works, but cells are way unbalanced and IR's are getting higher and higher. And it puffed a bit early on. But Zeee's can be had cheaply enough if you shop around. I also got mine from AMZ.
FWIW, I will say that my Zeee pack came with 10 guage wires.(y) Not usually found on cheaper brand Lipos and even with some expensive brands.
Usually come with 12 guage thinner wires.(n)
My thoughts.:cool:

Last edited:
My Zeee Single 6s brick Lipo is one of my worst performing packs and got tired faster than most others here . (6k Mah/50c) Still works, but cells are way unbalanced and IR's are getting higher and higher. And it puffed a bit early on. But Zeee's can be had cheaply enough if you shop around. I also got mine from AMZ.
My Povway 3s has terrible IRs, 48 total, 15, 16, 17. It’s not even a year old! My Hoovo 2s which is a year and half old has amazing IRs at 7 total, 4, 3.

I agree with @SrC but never say anything when zee's are brought up.. I got my cousin some zee's and they don't even compare to my spektrums, a lot shorter run time with mildy noticeable drops in performance, and they take longer to charge

Yeah my 6s Zeee takes forever to charge also, because they have a very hard time balancing at the tale end of the charge cycle.:(
Balancing takes forever. Zeee's probably don't come with the best matched cells. You pay for that sometimes in a brand. Just not always. Lipos are a mixed bag. I keep on saying this. I know.:LOL: Many say the Spektrum lipos suck too. Many end up leaving that Smart Eco thing and go for other lipos because of this.Especially for the price point. With stock power setups, the Spektrums usually serve well enough in some cases. Start pushing them with higher gearing, upgrade motors etc, and they peter out too. The Actual C rates are probably to blame. You are largely paying for the Smart Spektrum Eco thing IMHO.;)

Last edited:
Yeah my 6s Zeee takes forever to charge also, because they have a very hard time balancing at the tale end of the charge cycle.:(
Balancing takes forever. Zeee's probably don't come with the best matched cells. You pay for that sometimes in a brand. Just not always. Lipos are a mixed bag. I keep on saying this. I know.:LOL: Many say the Spektrum lipos suck too. Many end up leaving that Smart Eco thing and go for other lipos because of this.Especially for the price point. With stock power setups, the Spektrums usually serve well enough in some cases. Start pushing them with higher gearing, upgrade motors etc, and they peter out too. The Actual C rates are probably to blame. You are largely paying for the Smart Spektrum Eco thing IMHO.;)
No faith in them @SrC.. I push my 26t senton hard with a 20 month old 50c 🤕

FWIW, I will say that my Zeee pack came with 10 guage wires.(y) Not usually found on cheaper brand Lipos and even with some expensive brands.
Usually come with 12 guage thinner wires.(n)
omg you have completely lost me. Unbalanced IR's are getting higher and higher ? All this sounds daunting ! I know absolutely nothing about lipo batteries other than you need to charge them for them to work :) , as you can see im a complete novice, and am now feeling quite anxious:oops:.Ive purchased a charging bag, that I do know lol .

D428E7C1-0E55-4259-85B2-A53CF1683EC1.jpeg

Yeah, Zeee LiPos don’t balance very well… this LiPo was charged on my cousin’s UP60AC, I’m going to charge it on my Hitec RDX1 Pro to see if it balances.

omg you have completely lost me. Unbalanced IR's are getting higher and higher ? All this sounds daunting ! I know absolutely nothing about lipo batteries other than you need to charge them for them to work :) , as you can see im a complete novice, and am now feeling quite anxious:oops:.Ive purchased a charging bag, that I do know lol .
Here is where years of trial and error come into play in these conversations, coming from those who are eager to share Their insight. There are a lot of tech aspects to lipo batteries....

Some good rules to follow

Get a decent battery charger that has

Balance charge feature
Storage charge feature..
Watch a few YouTube videos about LiPo battery safety, and definitely follow the directions on the charger. Charge them before you use them, and storage charge them when you are done with them and want to put them in storage. Kudos to you for getting the lipo bag. Very very good.

Batteries are a mixed bag...
Some expensive brands do ok.
Some less expensive brands do almost as well. Even expensive brands produce an occasional lemon. It's just part of the business.

Earlier In this thread there was some budget brands mentioned. To begin with, pick some brands that don't cost an arm and a leg, and with time as your son gets more used to the rig, if he wants to get some bigger and better batteries then nothing will hold him back from doing that. Your son is getting his feet wet and all of this and he will enjoy it. Every brand of battery makes an occasional lemon but the majority usually do okay. Don't get too overwhelmed with the situation, but yes, when you get several comments about technical aspects it can make you apprehensive.

There are some helpful threads on this forum, try recommend a lipo battery in the search function. Don't get too overwhelmed when they start getting all technical.

Last edited:
View attachment 185166
Yeah, Zeee LiPos don’t balance very well… this LiPo was charged on my cousin’s UP60AC, I’m going to charge it on my Hitec RDX1 Pro to see if it balances.

Looks close enough to me..🤷.. why split hairs on a fraction of a decimal?... That .02 will never make a difference.. I think people read into this aspect, and call it an issue far to much.. I'd gladly take a pack that close any day..

Looks close enough to me..🤷.. why split hairs on a fraction of a decimal?... That .02 will never make a difference.. I think people read into this aspect, and call it an issue far to much.. I'd gladly take a pack that close any day..
I charged it, and it’s now perfectly balanced! I think my cousin’s charger isn’t the best at balancing.

So I have purchased two of these, I'm hoping these are correct ?​

Zeee 3S LiPo Battery 11.1V 60C 5200mAh with EC5 Connector for RC Plane, Quadcopter, Airplane, Helicopter, RC Car/Truck.​

Also, having seen loads and loads of chargers on the market, which ones would you recommend and which ones to stay clear from ?
someone mentioned the hitec but ive looked it up on uk amazon and uk stores but nothing is coming up.

So I have purchased two of these, I'm hoping these are correct ?​

Zeee 3S LiPo Battery 11.1V 60C 5200mAh with EC5 Connector for RC Plane, Quadcopter, Airplane, Helicopter, RC Car/Truck.​

Also, having seen loads and loads of chargers on the market, which ones would you recommend and which ones to stay clear from ?
someone mentioned the hitec but ive looked it up on uk amazon and uk stores but nothing is coming up.
Those will be perfectly fine to start with.

You could have spent more, but they should be fine for starters....

Chargers......
Look at retailers like Horizon Hobby, AMain Hobbies, whatever reputable retailer...see what they have available, and read the reviews, if available. I personally have a Dynamite brand dual charger sold for $120. Does well for me. There is a one battery at a time model from same brand for 50-60.....

You Will need 4mm banana plug to ec5 adapter cables.....they go from the charger to the battery.

This topic is another subject that can bring a lot of ideas, opinions, etc. On the one hand, you don't want a cheap piece of junk, and on the other hand.....

You don't need a $400 charger that charges 4 at a time.

All the best

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back