Hobbywing is now eligible to kiss my ass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamd

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've had 2 hobbywing motor shafts snap off . First one was my fault the second one was ridiculous it snapped when I was taking it easy not even bashing. Now there sorry excuse for an esc doesn't like my castle(ftw) motor it started working ok nothing special then now suddenly it doesn't wanna respond at all so in my book hobbywing is on my s**t list
What brands do you prefer? Even if it's worthless hobbywing I wanna hear some opinions ! Lol

I have never seen that happen. Maybe a bad bearing? Is your mesh set too tight?

They should warranty that.
Mesh was fine I was just kinda cruising in a parking lot and it just came to a stop almost as if the motor moved or the gear stripped and when I popped the shell off there is my pinion laying inside with a piece of the shaft in it. And the esc did work decently until I put my castle sct combo motor 3800kv on 3s and it just will not respond . The cc esc is definitely the choice I'm going with . I was trying to see which esc I wanted because the motor is sensored but the cc esc isn't and the hobbywing is. Tried it sensored and sensorless and hobbywing will never see another dollar of my money

I understand you have a bad taste in your mouth with your recent experience, but you seriously have to consider the incredible amount of people bashing hard as hell with HW products, for years, with no issue. Their support has been helpful from my experience, I mean they warrantied an ESC that my dad screwed up while soldering.

My stock BLX system in my Typhon has been remarkably reliable (knock on wood) for almost a year now, I couldn't be happier. You'd almost have to think that there is something wrong with your setup...

I understand you have a bad taste in your mouth with your recent experience, but you seriously have to consider the incredible amount of people bashing hard as hell with HW products, for years, with no issue. Their support has been helpful from my experience, I mean they warrantied an ESC that my dad screwed up while soldering.

My stock BLX system in my Typhon has been remarkably reliable (knock on wood) for almost a year now, I couldn't be happier. You'd almost have to think that there is something wrong with your setup...
Yea I was just talking mess because I think it's funny I really don't think hw is a poor quality product I just was venting and hoping for suggestions on some escs and motors that'll. Handle 3s and not be maxed out or shut off altogether. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the capacitor lead coming off . I soldered it back on maybe that's the issue but their motor shafts just snapping off when I'm taking it easy is ridiculous but I know hw has a huge customer base for a reason . Just a Lil trash talk really. I still have my castle esc I just need something that'll handle 3s with no issue and have room to up the cell count as well

I'm a hobbywing guy ! Two Max 6 combos. Max 6 ESC and Max 5,, I've had an older SCT ESC go out and contacted hobby wing and they offered me an upgrade at a very low price has been very good with customer service this is just my experience..but as many has stated we bash these cars harder than we expect and expect these cars to go to limits that they really can't do.. and some people when they break they cry when it's all part of the hobby.. I get you may have a part that fails but one in a thousand it happens.. it's simple drive it like you stole it and fix it !!! You can't expect these cars to go to the limits every time and something not break... 9 out of 10 times when something breaks it's it's because of the owner..

I'm a hobbywing guy ! Two Max 6 combos. Max 6 ESC and Max 5,, I've had an older SCT ESC go out and contacted hobby wing and they offered me an upgrade at a very low price has been very good with customer service this is just my experience..but as many has stated we bash these cars harder than we expect and expect these cars to go to limits that they really can't do.. and some people when they break they cry when it's all part of the hobby.. I get you may have a part that fails but one in a thousand it happens.. it's simple drive it like you stole it and fix it !!! You can't expect these cars to go to the limits every time and something not break... 9 out of 10 times when something breaks it's it's because of the owner..
If you read my other reply I'm not holding a grudge against hw at all I just worded my post like that because I was just talking mess I still have my CC esc that works fine I know what we put these things thru. I wasn't crying at all (tho I was cussing a bit initially) but I really wanted to get peoples input on a setup that'll handle 3s a Lil better and have room to upgrade batteries even more . I have nothing against hobbywing it was just some playful crap talking
My BLX185 died 1 year in... so yeah. F**k Hobbywing! (but praise to HH for their warranty)
My hobbywing is only a few months old

Last edited:
My Hobbywings have been reliable too. I really rate their firmware. My only gripe is that the BLX100 has a very annoying habit of hitting LVC early when the voltage might sag a little. It happens with all of my 3S lipos. Besides this though, I haven't found a reason to deviate

I would like to try Castle kits, but they're marginally more expensive here in the UK, and I'm mostly put off by the slider switches ? I don't understand why they have the move to push button switches like HW... or at the very least have an allocated mounting position on the ESC, because they're an odd shape

Stupid question but were you using a motor with a 1/8"shaft or a 5mm shaft? The 1/8th shaft motors, even the Castles are known to snap shafts in larger vehicles.

I own a mix of Castle, HW, and OEM ESCs. To be honest I have really only had issues with my Castle MM2 Retro. All of the others have held up well. Of all my motors, i have blown them all pretty much ? except my HW. Some were factory defects covered under warranty. Others were my fault as I pushed them beyond spec.

My Hobbywings have been reliable too. I really rate their firmware. My only gripe is that the BLX100 has a very annoying habit of hitting LVC early when the voltage might sag a little. It happens with all of my 3S

Stupid question but were you using a motor with a 1/8"shaft or a 5mm shaft? The 1/8th shaft motors, even the Castles are known to snap shafts in larger vehicles.
You just made my decision . I was contemplating getting a 5mm shaft and that's what I'm going with yes. I have 1/8shaft it makes sense cuz this truck with a 3s has to weight 7 lbs or so
I own a mix of Castle, HW, and OEM ESCs. To be honest I have really only had issues with my Castle MM2 Retro. All of the others have held up well. Of all my motors, i have blown them all pretty much ? except my HW. Some were factory defects covered under warranty. Others were my fault as I pushed them beyond spec.
Yea I have seen a 50 50 mix of preferences between castle and hw . I guess it's just one of those things lol
Yea I have seen a 50 50 mix of preferences between castle and hw . I guess it's just one of those things lol

If you read my other reply I'm not holding a grudge against hw at all I just worded my post like that because I was just talking mess I still have my CC esc that works fine I know what we put these things thru. I wasn't crying at all (tho I was cussing a bit initially) but I really wanted to get peoples input on a setup that'll handle 3s a Lil better and have room to upgrade batteries even more . I have nothing against hobbywing it was just some playful crap talking

I understand what you're saying but if you're wanting a system that handles 3s. A Max 10 SCT combo rated up to 4S..you're either going to run a hobby wing setup or a castle setup then we're pretty much the two best in the business.. both companies products fell it's all part of it but I do know this hobbywing stands behind their product..even if you didn't buy it new they will work with you..

Replacing "Hobbywing" with "Arrma" in your title would be infinitely more accurate and appropriate in my experience and opinion.

Your issues have nothing to do with Hobbywing products.

Replacing "Hobbywing" with "Arrma" in your title would be infinitely more accurate and appropriate in my experience and opinion.

Your issues have nothing to do with Hobbywing products.
The issue happened when I put in the hw esc the castle didn't do the same . The electronics failed . When I put the castle esc back in it ran no problems. Again I don't hold anything against hw I've ran in to problems with name brand stuff all the time . This time the 9
Thank you sir I figured I was underpowered running 3800 kv and 60a esc

I bought a Max10 sct that's rated up to 4S. Didn't get the combo since it only comes with 3S capable motor. Picked up a Hobbystar 3665 3100kv. Max amps was 80a that can run on 4S. Been great so far ??

I prefer hobbywing at this point due to being able to program it via the fan port. I know castle has a bluetooth thing and a secondary thing you can use inline, but if hobbywing can do it via the fan port... why bother buying more stuff and/or ripping open the receiver box to adjust something?

Currently running 2 max6's, a max10 sct and a BLX185. The blx185 I got in 2018 with my outcast, but it's giving me issues currently. Seems to work ok, but I can't calibrate it. Been running both max6's since 2019 Christmas, the max10 sct before that and the blx185 since 2018. The only HW motor I have is the 3660sl that came in the max10 combo. It worked fine, but ran hot in my stampede on 3S. I replaced it with a hobbystar 3665/3100kv and ended up moving both it and the max10 sct to my eJato.

I have a spare castle MMv2 (traxxas mxl-6s) and at least one castle sct sv3 esc/3800kv motor in a drawer I'm not using for anything. They are my backups... but odds are, if one of my esc's died, I'd just order a hobbywing vs bothering to install either of those into anything.

I do have a castle MMX/2200kv 4074 sensored in my savage flux hp... but it just sits on a shelf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back