Hobbywing question for Slash 4X4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
I know its not an Arrma, but, i have been asking this everywhere, in different forms, and so far, not one reply, so, i figured i would try here next. Will this ESC: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...cts/quicrun-10bl120-esc?variant=2139725987868 (HW 10BL120 Quickrun), work with this motor: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-3660sl-g2-motors?variant=26945779272 (EZRun 3660 SL G2 3200KV)? I already have several of the 10BL120 ESC's, that i was going to pair with cheap Chinese motors, but, i figured, since i have heard sensored motors are always better, i would try it at least once, if it will work. The truck either has Arrma Vorteks 3S tires and wheels, or Traxxas Sledge Hammers on it.

That ESC is solid. It’s not waterproof though so be careful.

Yes, sensored setups drive much better. However that motor you linked is not sensored.

Check out hobbystar or surpass for a wide variety of sensored 3660 motors.

Yeah it it doesn't make sense to buy a $Sensored$ ESC and then buy a non sensored motor for it. It will work, but it would be just a waste of that nice Sensored ESC.
A Sensored ESC paired with a sensored motor offers the best driving experience. If your wallet allows.

That ESC is solid. It’s not waterproof though so be careful. Check out hobbystar or surpass for a wide variety of sensored 3660 motors.
I know it's not waterproof. I plan on using liquid electrical tape and waterproofing it myself. Will Surpass and hobbystar sensored motors work with that ESC?

Yeah it it doesn't make sense to buy a $Sensored$ ESC and then buy a non sensored motor for it. It will work, but it would be just a waste of that nice Sensored ESC.
A Sensored ESC paired with a sensored motor offers the best driving experience. If your wallet allows.
That all depends on the price of whatever sensored motors I find that the sensored part works with that ESC.

Will Surpass and hobbystar sensored motors work with that ESC?
Yes. Basically any sensored motor you find will work with that ESC.

The only exception I know of is the Hobbywing line-up of EZRUN G2 sensored motors. They have a weird sensor cable. Don't buy one of those. Everything else in the industry is standardized.

Idk how well that esc will do as it is recommended for 1/10th scale buggies and touring cars.

It's a solid ESC. Should perform just fine in a Slash.
I'm sure it is I have one that I run in my 1/14 scale Lc Racing truggy. I just never really tried it in anything bigger.

Idk how well that esc will do as it is recommended for 1/10th scale buggies and touring cars.
+1.
That ESC is better for lighter weight models. The Slash is light IMHO.:unsure:
I know it's not waterproof. I plan on using liquid electrical tape and waterproofing it myself. Will Surpass and hobbystar sensored motors work with that ESC?

That all depends on the price of whatever sensored motors I find that the sensored part works with that ESC.

-Liquid Tape is not the best for Waterproofing. But can work for a while. Parts need to be Extremely clean of even finger/skin oils or it doesn's stay sealed or stick after a while. Liquid tape works best on softer and porous materials of the same likeness. i.e. wires. Silicone Conformal coating may be better. I use this for my Servos and a few ESC's.

-Most any standard Sensored motor will work with that ESC. But a HW sensored motor has a chip inside that correlates with the HW ESC and recognizes a HW motor. And its max features will be available.
So will a NON sensored motor, just that you wont get your moneys worth out of that sensored ESC. If you has a non sensored motor on hand, it would make sense. But if sourcing both a sensored ESC and motor. They both should be sensored out the gate for the best operation/ advantages.

Last edited:
This whole thing changed anyway. I still plan on using the 3 10BL120's i have, but, not in the Slash, since i found a WP SC8. I recently bought out a guys entire RC collection, which included a few older cars (Losi TEN-SCTE, Arrma Raider XL, ECX Torment, all of which i plan on resurrecting), and several boxes of new and used parts, and, as i go through the piles of parts, which is how i got the 3 10BL120's, i have so far found a HW 4700KV motor, 2 WP SC8's, and an EZRun motor, all brand new, as well as a used but working XERun SCT Pro combo (which i plan on using in the TEN-SCTE), and, who knows what else i will find, since i am barely half way through the more than a dozen large boxes of stuff.

EDIT: When i say brand new, i mean, brand new still sealed in the boxes.

Liquid Tape is not the best for Waterproofing. But can work for a while. Parts need to be Extremely clean of even finger/skin oils or it doesn's stay sealed or stick after a while. Liquid tape works best on softer and porous materials of the same likeness. i.e. wires. Silicone Conformal coating may be better. I use this for my Servos and a few ESC's.
Whenever i have had to waterproof electronics, i tend to be anal about it. First, clean it with electrical contact cleaner, then, apply liquid electrical tape, then, fill the case with clear silicone, and wear food prep non-latex gloves. The few times i have had to waterproof anything, i never seem to have an issue with it. I do the same thing on my 1:1 race cars for certain components when needed, which isnt often, but always seems to work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back