Horizon Hobby will not fix faulty BR6s ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just heard that Horizon Hobby are giving a 20% discount on the v2 program card until some time early in the new year. For me that is 80% short of what they should offer. Apparently the code is Spektrum 238 and is valid until end of feb
Also I do not know for sure but it's quite possible the offer is only valid in the usa . It would not be the first time an offer is not valid in Canada. I am absolutely not impressed and I will not pay to fix their error on a brand new truck.
This is crazy to me, you should have a program card anyway!! :eek:
Class action over feelings? 😂

You want rock bottom prices but want Horizon to maintain a department to update firmware? I'm a little lost at that idea, go to an LHS as suggested or if you are serious about the hobby get a programmer, won't be the last update.

I understand the frustration but need to get a reality check. You want to change settings anyway, good luck without a programmer.
Sorry venting, not personal.
This!!!!!

I feel like this is a relatively minor issue?

Perhaps Horizon is also treating it as such. The 20% off a programmer seems a little sad though, especially after their last coupon sale 😆. Come on guys.

A little drag brake action on throttle release that someone at Spektrum probably though would be a good idea in case of signal loss? (Just a guess)

I saw one video they didn't even know it had an issue and had to do more testing to replicate the drag brake. I don't normally release throttle on a jump myself.

Last edited:
Moirae,
I do not need a program card for anything other than the firmware fix. I can easily do any esc changes directly on the truck if I don't like the stock settings. This is my only rc vehicle so I see no reason to pay out another $45 canadian to fix the Horizon Hobby screw up then have the box sit and gather dust for years.
You have to laugh at the Horizon Hobby spin doctors who have been very hard at work these last few hours and come out with some great media content.
They tell us "we have fixed our problem with the esc's and now you get to spend more money buying the hardware to do the fix". And don't forget they are so kind to us that they will give us a 20% discount for buying the hardware to fix their screw up.
That sure is a feel good announcement.

Class action over feelings? 😂

You want rock bottom prices but want Horizon to maintain a department to update firmware? I'm a little lost at that idea, go to an LHS as suggested or if you are serious about the hobby get a programmer, won't be the last update.

I understand the frustration but need to get a reality check. You want to change settings anyway, good luck without a programmer.
Sorry venting, not personal.
You mean class action for technically selling a faulty product? They sold the consumer a faulty product and are now telling said consumer to fix the faulty product on their dime, not Horizons. Horizon is responsible for any faulty product no matter what the issue is.

This is some ignorant thinking right here. Sure seems to be a lot of it around here lately.

You mean class action for technically selling a faulty product? They sold the consumer a faulty product and are now telling said consumer to fix the faulty product on their dime, not Horizons. Horizon is responsible for any faulty product no matter what the issue is.

This is some ignorant thinking right here. Sure seems to be a lot of it around here lately.
But horizon will update esc for you if you send it in so there is an avenue for everyone to get it fixed. I still think it's dumb to not have the program card if you're in the hobby but that's just me. I also think horizon could have offered 50% off program cards to everyone who bought the rig. 20% isn't poop.

Just filling myself in on the whole ordeal and I gotta say, I'd be pretty pissed if I'd dropped that kinda coin and found out that the truck was "uncontollable" out of the box. Everything I'm reading says that HH acknowledges the programming error, but fixing it requires the consumer to spend more money. That's like going to buy a new car, put it in drive, and the car goes backwards. Manufacturer says "sorry, we installed the direction sensor wrong, but you need to pay us so we can switch it around". The truck is warrrantied for two years, so I think HH should have handled this differently. Send everyone an updated esc with a postage paid slip to return the defective one. The short term hit in cost would be outweighed by the long term benefit of keeping customers. I can't imagine it amounts to that many products anyways, since the issue only effects the BR6S (as I understand) with the new esc. Anything they have on hand at HH can be fixed before going out. Everyone remember the lsd difs on the K6 EXB? They acknowledged an issue and sent anyone who asked, updated shim kits to fix the issue. Feel that the same rules should apply in this case. My 2 cents which is only worth about half in USD.

Just filling myself in on the whole ordeal and I gotta say, I'd be pretty pissed if I'd dropped that kinda coin and found out that the truck was "uncontollable" out of the box. Everything I'm reading says that HH acknowledges the programming error, but fixing it requires the consumer to spend more money. That's like going to buy a new car, put it in drive, and the car goes backwards. Manufacturer says "sorry, we installed the direction sensor wrong, but you need to pay us so we can switch it around". The truck is warrrantied for two years, so I think HH should have handled this differently. Send everyone an updated esc with a postage paid slip to return the defective one. The short term hit in cost would be outweighed by the long term benefit of keeping customers. I can't imagine it amounts to that many products anyways, since the issue only effects the BR6S (as I understand) with the new esc. Anything they have on hand at HH can be fixed before going out. Everyone remember the lsd difs on the K6 EXB? They acknowledged an issue and sent anyone who asked, updated shim kits to fix the issue. Feel that the same rules should apply in this case. My 2 cents which is only worth about half in USD.
Totally agree. They should be sending out the programming box to anyone who got the defective esc's IMO. If it's $30 for us to buy, what's HH's cost? A fraction I'm sure.
BTW, your 2 cents is worth 2 cents anywhere IMO bro!🍻

I wish that were true, but the almighty Canadian dollar is viewed as Monopoly money around the world, so I always allow for the difference in exchange😉

Totally agree. They should be sending out the programming box to anyone who got the defective esc's IMO. If it's $30 for us to buy, what's HH's cost? A fraction I'm sure.

Knowing what I know about China manufacturing..

About ~$5 per copy ,if that..

And when they purchase
or at least commit to order -in Bulk (10,000 or more), their cost is probably like ~ $0.71 per unit

Knowing what I know about China manufacturing..

About ~$5 per copy ,if that..

And when they purchase
or at least commit to order -in Bulk (10,000 or more), their cost is probably like ~ $0.71 per unit
Which makes what HH is doing even more shameful.. just send out the programmers to those affected and move on already. We've been seeing quite a few different 6s models with the v2 Firma 150a in it now. Noto, Mojo, BR..I have to imagine all of them have the same problem?

I got a reply to my email I sent to Horizon Hobby to provide me a prepaid shipping label so I could return the esc. Now they have decided to send me a program box.
Damn annoying having to spend all that time with emails trying to get Horizon Hobby to do what they almost certainly were obligated to do when they sold a defective product.

I got a reply to my email I sent to Horizon Hobby to provide me a prepaid shipping label so I could return the esc. Now they have decided to send me a program box.
Damn annoying having to spend all that time with emails trying to get Horizon Hobby to do what they almost certainly were obligated to do when they sold a defective product.
Glad to hear someone at HH has some common sense.. sorry you had to do the dirty work, but hopefully this has opened up the path for others to more easily remedy the problem. Thanks for taking one for the team!👍🍻

A minor annoyance I'm sure as they have at least come through and made a resolution that, assuming all those affected are included, will make consumers happy. I'm telling you, they have spies that browse forums like this one to find out what people think and want. Wouldn't be surprised at all if this thread helped them make a final decision.

A minor annoyance I'm sure as they have at least come through and made a resolution that, assuming all those affected are included, will make consumers happy. I'm telling you, they have spies that browse forums like this one to find out what people think and want. Wouldn't be surprised at all if this thread helped them make a final decision.
I should hope they have an ear to the ground at some level in the company. We know something like this didn't come from a focus group..😉
Well, unlikely anyways.

I got a reply to my email I sent to Horizon Hobby to provide me a prepaid shipping label so I could return the esc. Now they have decided to send me a program box.**

Positive resolution. 👍

I'm sure they're going by some scripted responses to all the complaints..
Just like a insurance company....

Deny, deny, deny (as much as possible)
Til somebody makes a Big enough commotion.

**Maybe the term Class-action helped motivate them a bit... 🤣

I agree most will want to do some type of programming adjustments at some point for which buying the box may make sense. I have not found a need myself. The $10 HW card I bought 10 plus years ago works fine for setting parameters, though still not necessary. I believe if the box is needed to remedy a defect as is the case here, HH should be responsible to foot the bill. Glad they seem to have agreed.

So horizon hobby emailed to tell me there is a firmware fix for the Big Rock 6s esc fault but I have to pay for a program card to fix it for them or ask if my lhs will do the upgrade for them. Failing that I have to send in the esc which I will do if they send me a prepaid shipping label.
My truck was bought direct from horizon so why should I even ask my lhs if they will fix the fault to save horizon doing it?
As far as I'm concerned that truck never worked out of box as advertised and therefore is not fit for purpose. They should at least send me a card on loan and prepaid so I can do the upgrade myself and return it.
Yeah to update firmware you absolutely need the Spektrum Smart programmer. That whole "Smart" Firma ECO thing of theirs sucks IMHO. Insulting enough, actually makes us "Dumb" as bricks for getting sucked in.
Funny how HH sucks you into spending another $30.00 for this Smart programmer just to update their defective ESC F/W right out the box. By design IMHO.
Positive resolution. 👍

I'm sure they're going by some scripted responses to all the complaints..
Just like a insurance company....

Deny, deny, deny (as much as possible)
Til somebody makes a Big enough commotion.

**Maybe the term Class-action helped motivate them a bit... 🤣
AF threads can truly make a big enough commotion for HH here. Google results always show up here. I hope they read mine here. They have before. I usually link them to AF and my threads when I have issues under warranty. I don't hold back. Many of you guys know me well. I am pro consumer advocacy. Whatever the product.

Last edited:
Y'all, every ESC needs a program card type object to update firmware. That's normal ever since castle dropped the micro usb port, like it or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the truck only does the drag brake thing when you go from 75% or higher throttle to lower throttle right? Like it's not undriveable, it's just not ideal. Horizon's offered discounted card, free update at shop, or send in the ESC for new firmware. I think that response is reasonable given the severity of the issue. It's not like these are bricked ESCs, if they were you could expect a new ESC to be shipped out. Plenty of reasons to hate horizon right now, but IMO this isn't one of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back