Horizon Hobby will not fix faulty BR6s ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1
Yes most any decent Upgrade ESC requires a programmer. The better HW ESC's use the App and BT adapter for this to update and configure.
As basic RTR Firma ESC's, I wouldn't want to invest in all that Smart crap. I buy Arrma stuff for their chassis platforms, not their electrics. When they fail, I upgrade 99% of the time. Many times HH failed to update ESC F/W in the past, when they should have. But that costs them too much $$$ after the sale and in our hands. They do have a great 2 year warranty FWIW. Lately however its like pulling teeth with them. They are just accustomed to shooting that Parts Cannon at you. Not always solving the issue. Just a guess at their end sometimes. That HH guy on the other end of the phone or email, usually has no experience in regards to their products. They just have scripted responses and look up the same blow up diagrams and parts lists we have access to.

Last edited:
+1 yes most any decent Upgrade ESC requires a programmer. The better HW ESC's use the App and BT adapter for this to update and configure.
As basic RTR Firma ESC's, I wouldn't want to invest in all that Smart crap. I buy Arrma stuff for their chassis platforms, not their electrics. Whn they fail, I upgrade 99% of the time. Many times HH failed to update ESC F/W in the past.
Sure but in that case, just hawk the ESC on ebay and move on if you don't want smort junk

Y'all, every ESC needs a program card type object to update firmware. That's normal ever since castle dropped the micro usb port, like it or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the truck only does the drag brake thing when you go from 75% or higher throttle to lower throttle right? Like it's not undriveable, it's just not ideal. Horizon's offered discounted card, free update at shop, or send in the ESC for new firmware. I think that response is reasonable given the severity of the issue. It's not like these are bricked ESCs, if they were you could expect a new ESC to be shipped out. Plenty of reasons to hate horizon right now, but IMO this isn't one of them.
Assuming the remedies you listed are true, yes I agree, they are reasonable. I've been in and out of the hobby for 35 years, never needed a software update on anything. The smarter these things get, the less I like them. Same for 1:1 cars. Idiots shouldn't drive, my opinion.

It sounds like this programming was in effect for all of the new V2 Firma 150 ESC's.
I would think. Can't see them putting different firmware in the for different models? Most likely one size fits all. I also agree that this problem doesn't render the product as unusable, but one could argue that it's unenjoyable and potentially costly to have it nosedive off every sizable jump?
I'm definitely not into sending my rigs big, but that is the company's motto more or less, no? Most buy these toys to jump with, applying brakes automatically is a bit of a hindrance for jumping, LOL.

Is this a problem with 100% of the new ESCs or just some of them?
I am sure every single new V2 Firma 150 has the same identical issue, if its a legit issue at all according to HH/Spektrum. Every new V2 ESC is flashed with the same F/W by the OE mfr. (HW last I heard) HW creates the PIDS. HH depends on HW for creating these F/W Updates as well.

I am also sure that many not in know with much RC experience and specifically with Spektrum stuff won't even notice any V2 ESC issue. The few that do see a legit issue will propagate it. And yell loudest. Which is a good thing. I would like to see proof positive, videos etc, that there is a F/W issue in the first place. User error by some using the "Set Button" method, may have even started this supposed issue. A rumor until I can observe for myself. This supposed Drag braking issue is kind of odd. Because by Default, Drag Brake is set to Zero out the box with these V2 150 Firma's. There shouldn't be any Drag Braking at all out the box. The F/W could simply be flawed???:unsure: If the case ...IDK.

Edited.

Last edited:
But horizon will update esc for you if you send it in so there is an avenue for everyone to get it fixed. I still think it's dumb to not have the program card if you're in the hobby but that's just me. I also think horizon could have offered 50% off program cards to everyone who bought the rig. 20% isn't poop.
Moirae,
I can assure I am NOT DUMB. I will repeat I only need the program card to do the firmware fix. After that I am smart enough to configure the esc without the card even if you're not.

Moirae,
I can assure I am NOT DUMB. I will repeat I only need the program card to do the firmware fix. After that I am smart enough to configure the esc without the card even if you're not.
It's all good. We're all fam here.

You both have good points and each RC'er is different. Both ways get us to the prize...back to bashing which we all agree on (y)

It's all good. We're all fam here.

You both have good points and each RC'er is different. Both ways get us to the prize...back to bashing which we all agree on (y)

Agreed.

Let's all hug and be friends.
Cats Hugs GIF

Moirae,
I didn't call you dumb nor do I think you're dumb. I think it's dumb to not have a program card. Hell, you might be smarter than me because those beeps are ebola AF. Even if you can do it it's still 10x slower and more work than just using the card. If for no other reason, it's great to have for situations like this where you might want to update your firmware for new features or bug fixes or whatever. Not only that but it's useful for every arrma rig you will ever own.

I just bought the programmer from Tower. Kind of crappy that HH only offered 20% off, that's essentially the same as charging full price but giving free shipping. That said I had $20 Tower cash from buying my Notorious and after that it ended up being about $18 shipped. I can live with that since I plan to keep the stock esc/motor in it for a while.

I just bought the programmer from Tower. Kind of crappy that HH only offered 20% off, that's essentially the same as charging full price but giving free shipping. That said I had $20 Tower cash from buying my Notorious and after that it ended up being about $18 shipped. I can live with that since I plan to keep the stock esc/motor in it for a while.
$20 or so is not bad at least. You do need the Programmer IMHO. Especially for the Mandatory F/W update or that V2 ESC is simply a paper weight. No matter how you slice it. Just honestly, once you dial in that ESC where you want it, you probably will never use it again. HH will sell a ton of these programmers now to these BR guys, and all other models that came with these very bad undriveable V2 ESC's.
I am sure there are many not familiar with RC's that will never notice the flaw, They will be constantly lawn darting their rigs, without a clue as to why. .:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just heard on FB the new Kraton exb RTR realease has been pushed back
If true I’m assuming it’s to fix this issue

Shoot! My LHS said late December and we’re approaching that… wonder if they’ll release them next year now? Reading this thread is my first time hearing of this specific drag brake issue, however with Spectrum electronics track record my plan was to swap it out for a Max6/1650kv combo from the get go.

Shoot! My LHS said late December and we’re approaching that… wonder if they’ll release them next year now? Reading this thread is my first time hearing of this specific drag brake issue, however with Spectrum electronics track record my plan was to swap it out for a Max6/1650kv combo from the get go.
We run tons of stock spectrum electrics, for the most part they have been just fine. Yes, we have had failures along the way but I think they are pretty good for RTR.

I still turn down the timing on the Firma 150 before it even gets run.

That Max 6 g2 looks great, although for what it's worth the Max8 has been more than enough power in my outcast. I guess with longer wheelbase Kraton could make more use of more power but I have mmx8s and 1650kv 1717 in infraction and could not imagine that system being worth a damn in the outcast at all haha

I'm just going to add "my two cents worth", even though I know a lot has already been said on the subject. I hate having to admit this, but, the truth is, as Horizon Hobby gets larger & larger, buying up more & more companies, not only does the quality of their customer service get worse & worse, but they also seem to care less & less about their customers. I could, very easily, add a LOT more...but, I think the previous sentence says all that needs to be said, and explains the "why" about Horizon Hobby handling this the way they have.

Just heard on FB the new Kraton exb RTR realease has been pushed back
If true I’m assuming it’s to fix this issue
This is what I've heard from Tower. I received the update email from Horizon, and contacted Tower, where I had pre-ordered the Kraton 6s EXB. The item status went from "pre-order", to "in stock", over a week ago, but my 12/4 single item K6s order has not shipped. I emailed Tower about the update, requesting that they either perform the update, or send me a card, to do it myself. They replied that the K6s EXBs are getting the update, prior to shipping. The red Capra 4WS "scratch & dent" units they have for $350, shipped the day after I ordered it. I have a Max 6 combo, that's started out in the XMaxx I sold, then went into the Infraction 6s I have for sale now, that I planned to put in the K6s, before I ordered it, or heard of the firmware issue. I really wish I could buy more platforms, sans electronics. In any case, I bag the RTR stuff, then re-install before selling, so the next owner will not have to deal with this update. The HW stuff runs orders of magnitude better than any Spektrum stuff I've tried, and I always test RTRs for proper function, before mods. RCs I plan to keep for a while, usually get put on my Futaba Tx.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back