Fireteam How cold is too cold for trucks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leakywellie

Reaction score
Hi,
I get delivery of my big rock 6s which is my first rc vehicle on wednesday so was wondering what is coldest temp you guys run your trucks at. I'm in western Canada and our average daytime temp right now is at freezing point. During the winter it often gets down well below freezing. Obviously the colder the temps the more brittle the plastics become and the stiffer the oils get. So do I park my truck until spring to avoid stress fractures due to cold or run it?
Cheers

Well after about 10c you will start to notice a drop in performance and run time from your batteries. I remember running when it was about - 6c outside and I got maybe 5-6 minutes out of my battery. Anything under - 10c and it will cause permanent damage to the battery. Cold temperatures also have an effect on the plastic parts they become very brittle and can literally just shatter.

No such thing

1700445888747.png

I run in the cold weather, but not often and I don't get as crazy. Arms/hubs will break/shatter, as do wing mounts. 3DRC has the best Wing mounts and bumper hoops last I heard. Pliable at most any temps.
I went through a spell of 3 pairs of arms in 3 outings back to back. I learned to not get crazy in the winter months. To each his own. Its all about fun. No matter the weather. Just you will never see me out in the wet snow or water....cheap arms and stuff I don't mind replacing, but the $electrics$ will always get the best of me in the wet stuff. They are simply not WP, despite what they say.

Hi,
I get delivery of my big rock 6s which is my first rc vehicle on wednesday so was wondering what is coldest temp you guys run your trucks at. I'm in western Canada and our average daytime temp right now is at freezing point. During the winter it often gets down well below freezing. Obviously the colder the temps the more brittle the plastics become and the stiffer the oils get. So do I park my truck until spring to avoid stress fractures due to cold or run it?
Cheers
Congratulations on your first rig😁👍👏👏👏👏🎉🎊🎊👏👏👏👏.you have chosen a beautiful truck..I have used my RCs in very cold weather and never had issues..I suppose you can allways wrap them up a little.slide your lipos in double ankle socks ,make a styrofoam case.🤷 Helps the lipos a bit but not by much ..like mentioned above ,the plastic parts is where your concern will be ..cold compromises plastics integrity.makes it brittle.

Just try not to jump stupid high or hit to much.
Plastics become brittle in the cold and will break more easily. I don't know about stress fractures. Usually just snap clean off 🤣
Parts are the price of admission for rc fun cold or hot.

I run mine no matter how cold it is. We had a few nights around -10f last winter and I still took 1 out every night.. cold doesn't bother me. I didn't break anything. Didn't jump or hit anything either so...

@Johnny b it must be so miserable gettin down to 50-60 🤣
Its been 35 here every night for a week. Its 43 right now 😁 almost Hoodie weather! 😂

It’s been in the high 50s, mid 60s all week. Not even close to pants weather yet, let alone sweater weather. Born and raised up on the Sierra Nevada Mountain, Northern California. Average high during winter was roughly
10-13f during the day, minus 18 or so during nights. I don’t like this warmer weather 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Just try not to jump stupid high or hit to much.
Plastics become brittle in the cold and will break more easily. I don't know about stress fractures. Usually just snap clean off 🤣
Parts are the price of admission for rc fun cold or hot.

I run mine no matter how cold it is. We had a few nights around -10f last winter and I still took 1 out every night.. cold doesn't bother me. I didn't break anything. Didn't jump or hit anything either so...

@Johnny b it must be so miserable gettin down to 50-60 🤣
Its been 35 here every night for a week. Its 43 right now 😁 almost Hoodie weather! 😂
You must be near me cause that's about we have here also .as long my fingers don't freeze ,I'm good
Did ya happen to make it over them power lines 🤔. That's what I call ARRMA AIR. NOT NIKE AIR 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice you guys have passed on. Saying as how this is my first rc vehicle I will not be doing any big jumps, more like bunny hops, lol.
That point about the cold temps possibly damaging the lipos is a concern to me. I'm a disabled OAP and those lipos cost $226 Canadian each and no way I can afford to replace one so I'm going to need to be extra careful
Cheers

Thanks for all the advice you guys have passed on. Saying as how this is my first rc vehicle I will not be doing any big jumps, more like bunny hops, lol.
That point about the cold temps possibly damaging the lipos is a concern to me. I'm a disabled OAP and those lipos cost $226 Canadian each and no way I can afford to replace one so I'm going to need to be extra careful
Cheers

I've never damaged one in the cold that I'm aware of.
They say its possible though?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back