Infraction Infraction, can I bash on the high speed pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi

Just wondering if I can bash on the high speed pinion on 6S if I upgrade the ESC to something like the MMX8S? Or would I need to upgrade the motor as well.

I'm not trying to speed run really but I would like to bash with the included speed pinion. The manual says not to bash with the pinion and I can understand why, as it would overheat the ESC. Would like to bash and do minor speed runs at about 80-90mph.

Any input appreciated

Thanks in advance.

I have been wondering this same thing.. I was able to throw on a 50mm motor fan but I think I'll get an esc fan as well and try the 27t.. I'll let you know how it fairs if your patient enough to wait a few days!! 😎

For a few short minutes yes. But not really. You'll fry your motor and possibly the ESC. Maybe if you add two 40x40x28mm server fans to cool the motor. But in stock configuration, unambiguously no.

Welcome to the forum @Pez!! Great to have you aboard (y)

I have been wondering this same thing.. I was able to throw on a 50mm motor fan but I think I'll get an esc fan as well and try the 27t.. I'll let you know how it fairs if your patient enough to wait a few days!! 😎
I'm patiently waiting for your results :)
I'm patiently waiting for your results :)
For a few short minutes yes. But not really. You'll fry your motor and possibly the ESC. Maybe if you add two 40x40x28mm server fans to cool the motor. But in stock configuration, unambiguously no.

Welcome to the forum @Pez!! Great to have you aboard (y)
Thanks Diem.

I didn't mean in stock forum. I mean if I upgrade the esc to say an MMX8S. Or would three motor still fry?

Thanks Diem.

I didn't mean in stock forum. I mean if I upgrade the esc to say an MMX8S. Or would three motor still fry?
You will overheat the motor bashing on the speed gearing irrespective of what ESC you use as both throttle and braking produce heat. Keep in mind that it isn't the ESC that pushes power, it's the motor that draws it. It will draw the same amount of power no matter what ESC you put in front of it. While a better ESC will stay cooler, it won't do anything for the motor. Better motor cooling is your best bet. One other thing you could try with the stock ESC is drop the timing by 10-15°. That should drop your motor temps by a not insignificant amount. The stock timing is pretty hot at 22.5°. The stock timing on an MMX8S is 10°. Perhaps consider picking up a 20T pinion gear so you have something in the middle. Only having a 15T and 25T really doesn't leave you with much wiggle room.

Last edited:
I'm running a1717 mmx combo with twin 40 mm motor fans & a 40 mm rocket fan for the ESC all fans use a separate 3s lipo stock spur &23 pinon. Hit themal cutout on every run after about 10 minutes.going to swap out the ESC to a xlx2

Hi

Just wondering if I can bash on the high speed pinion on 6S if I upgrade the ESC to something like the MMX8S? Or would I need to upgrade the motor as well.

I'm not trying to speed run really but I would like to bash with the included speed pinion. The manual says not to bash with the pinion and I can understand why, as it would overheat the ESC. Would like to bash and do minor speed runs at about 80-90mph.

Any input appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Hello and Welcome!

I will not say NO but it is dang hard to keep temps regulated bashing. I am a basher only and I put a lot of work in over the years to keep my Infraction v1 cool. Motor below 170F and ESC below 140F and it take some work.

• I am stock motor 2050kv
  • ESC is upgraded to Firma 160A
  • 2x Game Changer powerful 3S fans on the motor
  • 1x Game Changer fan on the ESC 3S powered
  • Active temp gauge on the motor visible and DX5C radio to read the ESC
  • Motor timing at 15deg down from stock 22.5deg
  • 19T pinion. I like to try 20T, but my temps are at the top of my scale, going from 18T to 19T, so I will stop here on 19T

With all that, I can bash back to back and keep it under, but as I bash more like on the 3rd run, the temps will get a bit high on my scale, but this is good since I take no rest between bashes in this southern summer heat.

With the speed pinion and the GC fans I have, I would not be able to hold temps down in the range I want. I am coming from over a year of working to get my rig not to hit thermal cut-off from the heat we have in this region. I now have that under control. I'm like the others I will watch to see how you do. I have tons of speed on 19T for bashing & drifting with well-balanced temps. 27T for bashing would be out of control I already eat tires up in two bashes :)

Good luck! (y)

1663596484375.png

1663596526119.png

1663596748549.png

Hi

Any input appreciated

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t . The motor will over heat

You will overheat the motor bashing on the speed gearing irrespective of what ESC you use as both throttle and braking produce heat. Keep in mind that it isn't the ESC that pushes power, it's the motor that draws it. It will draw the same amount of power no matter what ESC you put in front of it. While a better ESC will stay cooler, it won't do anything for the motor. Better motor cooling is your best bet. One other thing you could try with the stock ESC is drop the timing by 10-15°. That should drop your motor temps by a not insignificant amount. The stock timing is pretty hot at 26°. The stock timing on an MMX8S is 10°. Perhaps consider picking up a 20T pinion gear so you have something in the middle. Only having a 15T and 25T really doesn't leave you with much wiggle room.

Agreed.
As Diem Turner stated. You're going to run into motor overheat IF you Bash with speed pinion.. You need to Enhance your motor's cooling by a lot to keep heat under control.
Dual stock fans = good..
Dual Server Fans = Better.

However, since (or IF) this is your first rig. And you want to keep it running as long as you can..
Perhaps it's best to just take the time to swop out the pinions for what you are going to do. You'll be happier with the results.

I bash with 25/46 gearing on 6s & 8s and it's fine. Couldn't do it with stock though. I run a sensored tp 5650 1720kv and an xlx2. I don't even need 12v fans just my normal 40mm aluminum frame fans.

Everyone bashes differently though so your mileage may vary. You will need a big block motor and an xlx2.

My felony has similar setup to the infraction I talked about earlier but mmx8s and non sensored motor. It has 12v fans on the motor and it's fine on 6s but the MMX8S gets hot with my 24/46 gearing and the motor in my felony is similar to stock motor kv. 8s makes the MMX8S thermal.

If I were you and I wanted to be cheap but still get close I'd try the leopard 5882 1360kv motor and an mmx8s. Mine is coming today and I plan to put it in my 2nd felony with an mmx8s.

Tldr: you need a fat can motor and only a few options fit stock location.

I bash with 25/46 gearing on 6s & 8s and it's fine. Couldn't do it with stock though. I run a sensored tp 5650 1720kv and an xlx2. I don't even need 12v fans just my normal 40mm aluminum frame fans.

Everyone bashes differently though so your mileage may vary. You will need a big block motor and an xlx2.

My felony has similar setup to the infraction I talked about earlier but mmx8s and non sensored motor. It has 12v fans on the motor and it's fine on 6s but the MMX8S gets hot with my 24/46 gearing and the motor in my felony is similar to stock motor kv. 8s makes the MMX8S thermal.

If I were you and I wanted to be cheap but still get close I'd try the leopard 5882 1360kv motor and an mmx8s. Mine is coming today and I plan to put it in my 2nd felony with an mmx8s.

Tldr: you need a fat can motor and only a few options fit stock location.
Thanks I have the same problem mmx8s getting hot .have a xlx2 from my speed run car. Just need a TP 5650

this is my infraction and how i typically bash it. I even do a temp check in the video, of the motor anyway! I never check the xlx2 because it is beast mode 🤣

At the end of the day it all comes down to how you bash. You could throw a 34 tooth on the motor and poke around like miss daisy, roll off throttle, have breaks in between squirts and get an hour out of a session. Nothing wrong with that.
Or you could squeeze that trigger flat, burn through tyres and only get 10mins out of a stint……. I bash with an 18T. Get my little adrenaline fix and I’m gone.

At the end of the day it all comes down to how you bash. You could throw a 34 tooth on the motor and poke around like miss daisy, roll off throttle, have breaks in between squirts and get an hour out of a session. Nothing wrong with that.
Or you could squeeze that trigger flat, burn through tyres and only get 10mins out of a stint……. I bash with an 18T. Get my little adrenaline fix and I’m gone.
Good going. Wouldn't take me long to drift that right into a pole or something. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back