Typhon Is the typhon 6s V2 still worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALex38

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Someone is selling a typhon 6s v2 for $250. Is that a decent price if it’s in decent shape? I know that’s a older version wondering if they have problems I don’t know of?

Solution
Thanks for all advice and help!
Thanks!
EV Peak and HTRC have both been around for while now and are both good brands. I just went on Amazon searched for lipo balance charger, sorted by customer rating and the HTRC charger was the 3rd listing, the Skyrc is 16 if that matters. ?‍♂️
Im
Definately keeping those in consideration. Evpeak one even has a $10 off going so it’s like $40
Since its old time wise, you don't know the condition of the diffs and all. How much has it been used. Or did it just sit on someones shelf for years unused. If you know what you are looking at, it could be a great deal. It will still drive the same as a V5 IMHO. Short of actually driving it and touching it, It may be more $$ to repair. A new V5 is $500. But all new and revised parts. Its your call. Your wallet in the end. There were major revisions from V2 to V5. Little things that you might be finding yourself upgrading to anyway. Electrics and radio aside. That's another topic. IMO, on its face a V2 is probably not worth $250, unless it has many of the current aftermarket upgrade parts installed already. If this V2 is just a box stocker, I would pass and save for a V5 when you can. Just me. :cool:

BTW, Typhon 6s is an awesome rig to have. Very versatile. And fast. Many guys even speed run them with on road tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for input. Do you know of any of the major changes since v2? The seller says it was used only a handful of times at the baseball diamond. Is it good deal if was sitting and not being used for awhile? $300 price difference compared to the new v5 is a big jump.

Is he giving you Lipos or anything else with it to make it tasty??? And lipos sitting around for years unused become bad. just plying devils advocate here. I don't want anyone to get ripped off when it comes to RC.
Sounds like it was more of a shelf queen, which is good I guess. Why was it not used. Was it a first RC that the guy lost interest? Is the guy an avid RC'er just making room for anothe rig. Not including tax and shipping, a New V5 is $500. $250 is the difference. Sitting around doesn't make things go bad, just a good sign it has little wear. Was it sitting around because there was an issue and never repaired. Hard to say if it's not in front of you and shown as a running RC. I have gotten Used RC's before, But in person and from a known source and I ran them first. got 2 good deals, an Infraction and Mojave recently. fairly new stuff used a few runs with many upgrade alloy parts. Thats what I look for. Agin just me. In the end you take a chance. Worse case you buy it and work on it. RC's cost money to run and maintain anyway saving a few dollars on a used one can work for you if funds are limited up front. But if you find the diffs need rebuilding to make it run nice, that will cost a few dollars more. Just be prepared ahead of time.

I think the battery trays were revised. The steering ball ends were revised. wheels were revised. ESC and motor were updated. Servo saver was revised,
Front hubs were revised. Diff shimming was revised.
Remember that if buying new, you have a 2 year warranty. That will save you $$ initially, like when your servo fails etc. ESC or motor. Expensive parts. Horizon Hobby has a great warranty and they are second to none in satisfaction. But you need to supply your receipt. That's why New may be the way to go especially if it your first 6S RC. I still think $250. is kind of high for a V2 Typhon. Again especially if it is only box stock with no real alloy upgrades. They bring better value on used RC's especially old ones. V2 Typhons did cost much less money when they were released. So $250 is not all that a deal IMHO.

BTW the Typhon was always the least expensive 6S rig. FWIW.

Last edited:
Is he giving you Lipos or anything else with it to make it tasty??? And lipos sitting around for years unused become bad. just plying devils advocate here. I don't want anyone to get ripped off when it comes to RC.
Sounds like it was more of a shelf queen, which is good I guess. Why was it not used. Was it a first RC that the guy lost interest? Is the guy an avid RC'er just making room for anothe rig. Not including tax and shipping, a New V5 is $500. $250 is the difference. Sitting around doesn't make things go bad, just a good sign it has little wear. Was it sitting around because there was an issue and never repaired. Hard to say if it's not in front of you and shown as a running RC. I have gotten Used RC's before, But in person and from a known source and I ran them first. got 2 good deals, an Infraction and Mojave recently. fairly new stuff used a few runs with many upgrade alloy parts. Thats what I look for. Agin just me. In the end you take a chance. Worse case you buy it and work on it. RC's cost money to run and maintain anyway saving a few dollars on a used one can work for you if funds are limited up front. But if you find the diffs need rebuilding to make it run nice, that will cost a few dollars more. Just be prepared ahead of time.
I should have mentioned he is local and can show it running. I just don’t really know what to look for when buying used tbh. He is including two 4s lipos with it also. Not sure how old they are. I asked if any parts were changed or anything and he said no parts changed on it. Says it was bought and used for few months at baseball diamond and field but then put back in box since. Great condition just some scratches on chassis from rocks and gravel not bad. Says it’s just collecting dust and moving away from the hobby. Has a few extra miscellaneous parts too I didn’t ask what. I wonder if a brand new 3s typhon would be smarter to buy instead. Hard choice. Here is 2 pics of it. I’ll be getting more pics in the morning I’ll post them also.

A0C761ED-2376-4D4B-B7BC-62AAD1ECF713.png

E943CFB4-7463-4C49-910E-A38C4C041342.png

Last edited:
Since its old time wise, you don't know the condition of the diffs and all. How much has it been used. Or did it just sit on someones shelf for years unused. If you know what you are looking at, it could be a great deal. It will still drive the same as a V5 IMHO. Short of actually driving it and touching it, It may be more $$ to repair. A new V5 is $500. But all new and revised parts. Its your call. Your wallet in the end. There were major revisions from V2 to V5. Little things that you might be finding yourself upgrading to anyway. Electrics and radio aside. That's another topic. IMO, on its face a V2 is probably not worth $250, unless it has many of the current aftermarket upgrade parts installed already. If this V2 is just a box stocker, I would pass and save for a V5 when you can. Just me. :cool:
BTW, Typhon 6s is an awesome rig to have. Very versatile. And fast. Many guys even speed run them with on road tires.
You have a point on the warranty side of it. I’m debating on getting a used older 6s like this or a new 3s v5. Glad you like it. I’m new to this and it’s gonna be my first hobby grade rc. I was debating between the typhon and big rock but I think I’ll enjoy the typhon buggy more. And yes this is stock he says.

Looks like you should buy it. Hardly used and all. This is way better than any 3s Arrma Leaps and bounds better even that its a V2. Hopefully the lipos are ok from sitting unused for some time. That can save some coin also. Is he giving you the charger also since he is not into RC any longer? Ask for it. Save some more coin!!! No RC's come with chargers and lipos in general,. Appears to be a runner for sure. Ask for any related parts he can find. Just see if it runs. Most important. Hate for you to have to buy an $ESC$ for instance or servo right away. Always good to buy this stuff in person when you can. Good luck. Enjoy. Typhon 6S all the way (y)

Looks like you should buy it. Hardly used and all. This is way better than any 3s Arrma Leaps and bounds better even that its a V2. Hopefully the lipos are ok from sitting unused for some time. That can save some coin also. Is he giving you the charger also since he is not into RC any longer? Ask for it. Save some more coin!!! No RC's come with chargers and lipos in general,. Appears to be a runner for sure. Ask for any related parts he can find. Just see if it runs. Most important. Hate for you to have to buy an $ESC$ for instance or servo right away. Always good to buy this stuff in person when you can. Good luck. Enjoy. Typhon 6S all the way (y)
Oh really so a v2 6s is still better then the new v5 3s. He does have a charger but wants to sell that separate for $60. It’s a spektrum passport ultra 100 (DYNC3000). He’s also selling his traxxas e-revo mini and a dji drone so he seems to be getting out the rc world. Oh yeah it is in person he can meet me tomorrow with a charged 4s battery to try out. But I’m so new to this I don’t even know what to look for other then physical damage.

I think the battery trays were revised. The steering ball ends were revised. wheels were revised. ESC and motor were updated. Servo saver was revised,
Front hubs were revised. Diff shimming was revised.
Remember that if buying new, you have a 2 year warranty. That will save you $$ initially, like when your servo fails etc. ESC or motor. Expensive parts. Horizon Hobby has a great warranty and they are second to none in satisfaction. But you need to supply your receipt. That's why New may be the way to go especially if it your first 6S RC. I still think $250. is kind of high for a V2 Typhon. Again especially if it is only box stock with no real alloy upgrades. They bring better value on used RC's especially old ones. V2 Typhons did cost much less money when they were released. So $250 is not all that a deal IMHO.

BTW the Typhon was always the least expensive 6S rig. FWIW.
V2 to V5 on top of what you already listed. In no particular order.
  • Shocks updated for V3.
  • Shock mounts updated for V3.
  • Shock towers updated for V5.
  • A arms updated for V5.
  • Motor mount updated for V4.
  • Gearbox cases updated for V3.
  • Receiver box updated for V3 then again for V5.
  • Sway bar ends updated for V3.
  • Chassis updated for v5.
  • Chassis braces updated for V3.
That is all I can think of at the moment.

V2 to V5 on top of what you already listed. In no particular order.
  • Shocks updated for V3.
  • Shock mounts updated for V3.
  • Shock towers updated for V5.
  • A arms updated for V5.
  • Motor mount updated for V4.
  • Gearbox cases updated for V3.
  • Receiver box updated for V3 then again for V5.
  • Sway bar ends updated for V3.
  • Chassis updated for v5.
  • Chassis braces updated for V3.
That is all I can think of at the moment.
Would you say those are some serious upgrades? Would the typhon v2 6s still be better then a new v5 typhon 3s?

There are $500 in upgrades between the V2 S6 and the V5 S6, some more serious than others

If you are testing the waters and the V2 is all that it is claimed to be, might be a good choice (I would offer less $)

Is the V2 6S you are looking at better than a new V5 3S, I don't think so, could be less money though

Lots of great advice in this thread.

Here’s my two cents of random thoughts. Looking at the pictures, it seemed like owner threw it back in the box and didn’t really clean it off before long term storage - might be an indication of whether he maintained the vehicle ... or not.

It will be more difficult if you need to replace parts in the sense that you’ll need to check compatibility of new parts with old V2 parts and may have to upgrade additional parts for everything to work properly.

The two 4s LiPos do sweeten the pot but you have to make sure they were stored properly and maintained at storage charge.

Unfortunately, as a newbie, it leaves you in a position of not knowing what things go look for so you have to place more trust in the seller that things are accurately represented. As with anything used, caveat emptor and be prepared to have to spend more money to fix some issues.

Some things, such as battery/ESC connectors have changed. Those are XT and new Arrmas come with IC connectors. If you get hooked and get more Arrmas - then you won’t be able to use these batteries on the new cars and you’ll have to decide if you want to change these out or change the new one out. If you’re handy with a soldering iron, no big deal otherwise it may be a few more bucks at the hobby shop.

What kind of driving are you going to be doing? If it’s just ripping around on a dirt track or up and down the road then this may serve you well. Also if you aren’t caught up with needing the latest and greatest - this may be the way to test the waters.

Ok. All this advice has me debating on it now. Is it a better car then the typhon 3s v3 even if it’s v2? What if the guys says $220 is it then a good deal? Or is it too old and I should stay away? All your input was solid advice. Appreciate the help fam! I’m going to be driving on grass and dirt and concrete mostly. Not much high jumping or anything.

Last edited:
Ok. All this advice has me debating on it now. Is it a better car then the typhon 3s v3 even if it’s v2? What if the guys says $220 is it then a good deal? Or is it too old and I should stay away? All your input was solid advice. Appreciate the help fam!

Be careful about being caught up in specs - is the v5 'better' than a v2 - sure - because it has components that are stronger and easier to adjust based on years of evolutionary development - BUT the v2 may also be plenty sufficient for your needs while saving a good chunk of change. Also remember that most of us here are fanatics and always want the latest that Arrma has to offer.

Be careful about being caught up in specs - is the v5 'better' than a v2 - sure - because it has components that are stronger and easier to adjust based on years of evolutionary development - BUT the v2 may also be plenty sufficient for your needs while saving a good chunk of change. Also remember that most of us here are fanatics and always want the latest that Arrma has to offer.
Would you take the used v2 6sOr would you choose the brand new v5 3s for $50 more.

Would you take the used v2 6sOr would you choose the brand new v5 3s for $50 more.

6s hands down. I have 4 3S/4S vehicles and I'll take a 6s over them any day. Some of my major annoyances with the 3s vehicles include the slipper, the way the power module was designed (trapping dirt and debris) and getting access to the diffs.

How interested are you in the wrenching aspect of the hobby?

If you are starting, mainly interested in driving and not particularly interested to spend hours wrenching, a 3S V3 would be a better fit. It is a much simpler RC to work on and would probably save you some headaches.

If you are willing to spend time working on it and learning about more advanced RC mechanic, a 6S would be a good choice. It is a lot of fun working on these, but it’s more time consuming.

I am no expert on used RC pricing, but my feeling is that the price is a bit too high. I‘d go for it if he can throw in some tools and/or the charger for the same price (of a minimal upcharge). It would be a nice project for the right price.

Yeah I definitely don’t want to buy it and then be wrenching on it without even using it much. That would suck and be costly I’m guessing. But a lot of the guys I’ve asked say the v2 6s blows the 3s v5 out the water even if older. I’d be surprised

Back