Jumping: Are you good at it?

How good are you at jumping?

• Pretty much a pro, stunts and good landings are the norm for me

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Good but could be better, lots of great jumps, but bad landings are not surprising

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Ok but need a lot of work, some good jumps, but bad landings happen a lot

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Not good, my bank account feels it when I try jumping

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Not a jumper, enjoy other things too much more to bother with jumps

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Watching big air videos is what got me into rc, but I'm pretty bad at jumping. After almost a year in the hobby, I've only had one glorious day of hitting big jumps. It was as if someone wanted to help me out. A 5 foot tall pile of rocks in an empty lot by the local park just appeared one day with 2 sides of it even and angled perfectly for jumps. Have been awful at jumping but figured it was worth a try and only had my 2wd Stampede at the time.

Couldn't believe it, after mostly ugly jumps with bad landings and crashes in the past, I was suddenly nailing almost every jump. I was also hitting the jumps at higher speeds, going higher/further, and even had enough air control with 2wd to pull off a few back flips. Only crashed 3 or 4 times. I thought I had finally figured it out.

Next time I went back, the rock pile was shorter and had ruts all around it making a clean approach impossible. That was in early December, now I am back to sucking at jumps again. Don't really have anything to practice on but odd shaped hills and the ground has a lot of rocks that make clean approaches difficult, always bouncing a little sideways or something to throw it off. Bought a couple of skate ramps and am hoping having a clean approach and clean ramp setup will let me get better and have some fun.

Luckily, I absolutely love high speed dirt bashing. Love to see my rig bouncing at full throttle barely in control and finding those great spots where you can slide high speed through a turn throwing rocks and dirt everywhere.

Just wondering what jumping is like for other members here.

I don't really do a lot of jumps these days. I got really into it for a bit and got decent at it (more good landings than bad), but racing is really where my heart is at. There are jumps involved, but nothing big...not "big air."

Tell me what you think of this landing. 🤣
EB72B1EC-A866-47ED-9D6F-676CF4B6F09C.jpeg

As a lover of the big air, having a good jump ramp helps. (actually just posted a ramp build video if ur interested). a consistent launch is key to developing jumping skills i've found. allows you to focus on what is happening in the air with your car rather than reacting to the variable launches you may get. each car also has its own character in the air and as i switch between cars it helps to have a consistent launch to get to understand each cars character independent of what the terrain may be doing to it at launch. also, i never go big right away...build up slowly each day getting used to the car and getting my timing. my buddy tends to try and hit a massive double straight out the gate and tends to have a higher repair bill than myself;)

typhon1.jpg

(actually just posted a ramp build video if ur interested)
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/lightweight-durable-jump-ramp-45.49161/

Tell me what you think of this landing. 🤣
VERY familiar sight... :LOL:

This is where I’m at with jumping still need work but getting there

Having said that, for about 10 min. Footage of clean jumps. I have about three hours of crashes so there we go!
Looks like a good spot to learn!
As a lover of the big air, having a good jump ramp helps. (actually just posted a ramp build video if ur interested). a consistent launch is key to developing jumping skills i've found. allows you to focus on what is happening in the air with your car rather than reacting to the variable launches you may get. each car also has its own character in the air and as i switch between cars it helps to have a consistent launch to get to understand each cars character independent of what the terrain may be doing to it at launch. also, i never go big right away...build up slowly each day getting used to the car and getting my timing. my buddy tends to try and hit a massive double straight out the gate and tends to have a higher repair bill than myself;)

View attachment 200977

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/lightweight-durable-jump-ramp-45.49161/
I think thats what happened on the day I landed so many jumps. The angle was ideal and ground in front of it was in great shape for getting a nice straight approach every time. I wasn't doing anything really big, just big to me, probably 8-10ft on most jumps. I'll check out your ramp build, I have some small skate ramps that seem okay for some small practice, but would like a nice ramp once it warms up a little.

I haven't been jumping very long but I feel like it's something that's not super difficult. I do need practice with front flips though.

I haven't been jumping very long but I feel like it's something that's not super difficult. I do need practice with front flips though.
It gets easier the higher you go in some respects...more time to react.

Just get a bad ramp that sends the rear up, lol. It works for me! 🤣

Great jumping afreek1000. Subscribed! :p (y)

As milehighspeed said, the key to getting good at jumps is a consistent launch. Whether it's a portable ramp, skatepark, bmx track, etc. A straight, even approach and a good landing zone are also important. Downhill approaches keep you much straighter than uphill. Dirt is the best landing surface, it provides cushion and slide. Stay away from jumps that send your RC into a nosedive, they are very hard to recover from.

It's really hard to get better on random jumps with slippery approaches, bumpy landing zones, etc. When I first got my Granite, I was launching off anything that would send it up. I broke often. It was only after building a ramp and lots of practice that I learned proper air control. At this point, I'm very familiar with how the RC behaves in the air and how much throttle or brake to apply to level out. Now I can actually hit random jumps and land them.

This is where I'm at. Still looking to add some twisting tricks. I can kind of do a tailwhip.

I do need practice with front flips though.
Number one tip. Brake early, just as your leaving the ramp/jump. Breaking early initiates consistent forward rotation. Number two tip, only attempt with very straight takeoffs. Crooked takeoffs result in twisting, hard to control front flips. I posted a thread with front flip tips. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-and-how-not-to-front-flip.45078/#post-626974

Last edited:
I love to jump my 3s cars anywhere I can manage. From the skatepark to the bmx track or just a well placed rock…I’ll hit it. Nothing spectacular, just having a blast learning to fly. I love working on my cars also and built them up tough so damage cost is manageable and repairs fun.

Picked the second option from the top. I like big air and am good at correcting and landing track style jumps but have never really attempted anything more than a single flip.

I put together a compilation of my current bag of tricks
love that video. great jumps GRC. we got to figure out how to get you a camera with super slow motion to capture those movements!

i'd love to see that same video content slowed down at 120pfs.... makes for cool clips:

I put together a compilation of my current bag of tricks
Nice assortment of jumps there, all with good timing on the air control.

Here’s another video with 8S rigs. (K8S & X Maxx) I love running these large scale trucks because they go so big.

Though, when they land wrong, they really self-destruct pretty bad.
Looks like both handle nicely in the air. Do you have a preference between the K8s and the X-Maxx or are they both equal fun just drive a little different?
I'm so good at jumping that I usually pay about $150 to see one of my big jumps! :cool:
If only you could get other people to come pay to watch...:LOL:

Back