Granite Just made a long CVD for Granite with Typhon RPM arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
So, I have done a bunch to my Granite BLX, including RPM Typhon arms, and a Mamba X with 2400kv setup.
Snapped rear U-joint first pack few weeks ago. I don't like weak parts.

Ordered the Arrma CVD axles. Got them...they are too short for Typhon arms. They are actually shorter than stock. Odd. The slider will only slide in about 1/2 inch. Nope...didn't even install them.

Did some research and came up with an idea...and just finished 2 of them.

The Kraton/OC 4s has optional CVD also. But they are too long and the ball ends are larger than the 3s CVDs. Ended up using 1/2 of the 4s CVD, this the 4s outlive cup and pins, and the other end of the 3s CVD slides in. Had to trim the length of the 4s slider...but it is perfect....and MUCH more stout now. Also the 4s outdrive cups are all steel. Nice. Some pics with the stock and the 3s CVD for comparison.

Here is all the parts to make one. Right is the lower part of the 3s CVD. Other parts are the 4s.

20210317_200330.jpg

here is length comparison of 3s and 4s slider. Also see the smaller ball of the 3s.
20210317_200814.jpg

Here is a trimmed 4s compared to the stock before trimming.

20210317_200852.jpg

Here is a comparison of my hybrid CVD, 3s CVD and stock driveshaft.

20210317_195835.jpg

Here is a length comparison of the 2 hybrids I made, and the stock. Stock is stretched to where it was with Typhon arms. As you see the hybrids are barely extended. Should be pretty tough.
20210317_201559.jpg

Nice post and really helped me to fiqure out what I will do next to solve failing U-joint issues on my K4S and Senton
For the K4S I recommend the Arrma CVD's. They are very stout. They were too long for my 3s, and only the outdrive side fits the Granite. If I used the axle end, I would have to get custom bearings to fit the Kraton axle on the Granite hubs. Seemed easier to just use the 3S CVD end with the correct axle CVD. Had to use the combo of the two due to the long Typhon arms for my wide Granite build.

My only gripe about your setup is the lack of a native 17mm hex like the Typhon stock axles. Otherwise it’s a good setup.
Yeah. I have the 17mm hex conversion using the M2C adapters. I like the setup of those compared to the HR ones. Only a 5mm extension also via the double hex nut you can see in the pic.

1616513837327.png

I think I could use the Kraton CVD axle end with the 17mm hex, but would need to find a 8x12x4mm bearing for the outer hub piece. Stock granite and Typhon is 6x12x4mm. Kraton is 8x16x5mm. Need the 12mm outer dia with 8mm inner dia to fit the Kraton axle and the Granite hub.

Last edited:
Yeah. I have the 17mm hex conversion using the M2C adapters. I like the setup of those compared to the HR ones. Only a 5mm extension also via the double hex nut you can see in the pic.

View attachment 134228
I think I could use the Kraton CVD axle end with the 17mm hex, but would need to find a 8x12x4mm bearing for the outer hub piece. Stock granite and Typhon is 6x12x4mm. Kraton is 8x16x5mm. Need the 12mm outer dia with 8mm inner dia to fit the Kraton axle and the Granite hub.
I have broken so many of the Granite style axles but never a single Typhon style.

Issue is Arrma does not make a Typhon style CVD. So only 17mm CVD is the Kraton.
Oh I understand the whole deal. I know that you’re solution is the best I’ve seen, but I still think the Granite style axles are a weak point. You have 99% of it nailed tho. Very good work. Just wish we could fix the remaining 1%.

I used the granite cvds with the typhon arms on my granite and all is well for many packs. I do agree yours is obviously better though. If mine ever fail then I'll go that route I suppose. Good thinking 🤘

View attachment 134228
What about 8x12x3.5 and 0.5mm worth of shims?

https://www.fasteddybearings.com/8x12x3-5-rubber-sealed-bearing-mr128-2rs/

B653F6D5-B083-47FB-866E-16DF3EBE3C1F.png

Yeah, that would work. I would also need to compare the axle length of the kraton to the Granite one. The pin may be too far away from the hub, and would have to add spacers/shims to remove the play.

So far mine are holding great. 2400kv motor, mamba x with no punch control. Backflips, lots of wheelies and brake stops to power slides, plenty of cartwheels down the road....and still holding strong now.

I am back to using the stock tires so on the 14mm now and removed the 17mm adapters anyway. I like the handling of the stocks better than the duratrax Sixpack, and then the trenchers I tried. Stocks don't traction roll on high speed turns near as much. Still plenty of traction too.

Yeah, that would work. I would also need to compare the axle length of the kraton to the Granite one. The pin may be too far away from the hub, and would have to add spacers/shims to remove the play.

So far mine are holding great. 2400kv motor, mamba x with no punch control. Backflips, lots of wheelies and brake stops to power slides, plenty of cartwheels down the road....and still holding strong now.

I am back to using the stock tires so on the 14mm now and removed the 17mm adapters anyway. I like the handling of the stocks better than the duratrax Sixpack, and then the trenchers I tried. Stocks don't traction roll on high speed turns near as much. Still plenty of traction too.
You sound like you’re describing MX28 Badlands 😜✌🏻 Some of my favorite tires.

I don’t need the shafts yet, but I am considering adding more power to my Typhon 3S and suspect I’m going to pop shafts one of these days. Just planning ahead.

You sound like you’re describing MX28 Badlands 😜✌🏻 Some of my favorite tires.

I don’t need the shafts yet, but I am considering adding more power to my Typhon 3S and suspect I’m going to pop shafts one of these days. Just planning ahead.
I have the 2.10 belted Badlands on my Typhon 6s. They are awesome. Been thinking of going with the wider non belted for the Granite.
Nice thing is I can throw on 14mm, or 17mm.

I have the 2.10 belted Badlands on my Typhon 6s. They are awesome. Been thinking of going with the wider non belted for the Granite.
Nice thing is I can throw on 14mm, or 17mm.
I just don't like the 14mm nuts. I really like the 17mm nut. It is by far the best wheel nut.

I just don't like the 14mm nuts. I really like the 17mm nut. It is by far the best wheel nut.
Except for the goofy ones they used on the Kraton and Outcast 4s.

Back