Lets talk temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slicktmi

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ok guys tell me what motor setup you have and 6 or 4s and what kind of driving and temps do you get and if you have a fan. I swear idk if it's just me or i have absolute bad luck with electronics ive owned 3 new arrmas all new out the box they all ran close to 170+ after a bash on 4s! I don't want to imagine 6s.i currently got one of my outcasts perfect with the 4092 with a fan running 4s after a hard bash i hit 140. So is it just me that pays attention to much or do you guys have hot motors to im starting to think it's my driving style lol

Ok guys tell me what motor setup you have and 6 or 4s and what kind of driving and temps do you get and if you have a fan. I swear idk if it's just me or i have absolute bad luck with electronics ive owned 3 new arrmas all new out the box they all ran close to 170+ after a bash on 4s! I don't want to imagine 6s.i currently got one of my outcasts perfect with the 4092 with a fan running 4s after a hard bash i hit 140. So is it just me that pays attention to much or do you guys have hot motors to im starting to think it's my driving style lol

I’m extremely guilty of just not caring enough to check. I figure if I burn up a stock motor I’ll just replace it with something better. The only 1/8 scale truck that I own that still uses the stock electronics is my Notorious. I not 100% sure but I think I’m running a 15t pinion. I only run 6s. I will try to get some temps when I run it next.

I’m extremely guilty of just not caring enough to check. I figure if I burn up a stock motor I’ll just replace it with something better. The only 1/8 scale truck that I own that still uses the stock electronics is my Notorious. I not 100% sure but I think I’m running a 15t pinion. I only run 6s. I will try to get some temps when I run it next.
Yeah for sure let me know what you find

I have a Talion which runs on a MAX8 and Turnigy 2000kv.

On 4S running on SRC road crusher tyres running up and down a road. The motor gets to about 60-70c (140-160f)

On 6S it gets to about 80-100c (180-212f)

I am also running 17/50 gearing and drive the car pretty hard and drift about.

On 6S I just use it to run up and down the road fast.

I am looking at buying a hobbystar 4082 1600kv to try and reduce these temperatures as I am happy with the top speed and acceleration on my current gearing so I don't want to gear down.

so far I see at around 25 mins of running at 65 degrees outside I hit 150 ish I always let mine cool at that point but someone told me yesterday 160 is fine

I'm running 6s 5450 maxamps
so far I see at around 25 mins of running at 65 degrees outside I hit 150 ish I always let mine cool at that point but someone told me yesterday 160 is fine
[/QUOTE]

I have a Talion which runs on a MAX8 and Turnigy 2000kv.

On 4S running on SRC road crusher tyres running up and down a road. The motor gets to about 60-70c (140-160f)

On 6S it gets to about 80-100c (180-212f)

I am also running 17/50 gearing and drive the car pretty hard and drift about.

On 6S I just use it to run up and down the road fast.

I am looking at buying a hobbystar 4082 1600kv to try and reduce these temperatures as I am happy with the top speed and acceleration on my current gearing so I don't want to gear down.
Sounds like it's almost a necessary thing to put a fan on the motors for hard bashing i had the hobby star 4082 2000kv and that thing got toasty quick in the outcast now i only run the hobbystar 4092 1480kv still gets toasty after a 6s bash but with the fan it stays at 140 with fan on 4s probably 150ish on 6s

For my senton the stock motor geared for around 70mph (19t pinion with stock spur) i get it to 180 at the absolute maximum (hottest day and the hardest bashing) and that’s basically perfect. You never want your motor to ever get above 180 or else it’ll have a pretty short lifespan. Keep it below that and it’ll last years upon years. My 15 pound e revo is quite the battleship and it’s geared for 50mph, I run continuously into the 200’s, and hence my motors only last 3-4 months! Both of these trucks are using 6s. My revo could definitely use a castle 1717 in the future if I figure out how the hell to mount it, because even a 4092 won’t cut it (also it’s impossible to install)

For my senton the stock motor geared for around 70mph (19t pinion with stock spur) i get it to 180 at the absolute maximum (hottest day and the hardest bashing) and that’s basically perfect. You never want your motor to ever get above 180 or else it’ll have a pretty short lifespan. Keep it below that and it’ll last years upon years. My 15 pound e revo is quite the battleship and it’s geared for 50mph, I run continuously into the 200’s, and hence my motors only last 3-4 months! Both of these trucks are using 6s. My revo could definitely use a castle 1717 in the future if I figure out how the hell to mount it, because even a 4092 won’t cut it (also it’s impossible to install)
That's crazy seems the 4092 don't cut it in my 12 pound outcast without the fan lol i really think it's the way i drive cause i let my girl drive or my buddy same car and same battery and bash area when i drive i hit 180 pretty quick so i cut it off when they drive and it's not easy on the throttle driving as you may think lol and their temps are 150 160 tops so i honestly think it's just me and probably that i don't roll as often to let the motor cool within the time period it takes them to flip it over lol

I'm running 6s 5450 maxamps
[/QUOTE]
Yeah like peanut said 180 is about where you wanna call it quits that's like maximum. And what kind of bashing do you do how often are you on wide open throttle? What rig?

Oh and I should add for an esc I wouldn't let it get over 140, but if you can't help it, 150 is the absolute max.

I don't know about you guys but once you get to bigger trucks you find that the motor is the real issue and the esc doesn't really run hot.

Oh and I should add for an esc I wouldn't let it get over 140, but if you can't help it, 150 is the absolute max.

I don't know about you guys but once you get to bigger trucks you find that the motor is the real issue and the esc doesn't really run hot.
Yeah i was gonna say my max6 without the fan runs maybe 130 on a hot hard bash because i can't keep fans without them exploding lol

Yeah i was gonna say my max6 without the fan runs maybe 130 on a hot hard bash because i can't keep fans without them exploding lol
Yeah that seems to be an issue with those esc's. I'm not sure why though, because no esc I own has ever had any fan issues except my max8 and other similarly designed ones. My mamba monsters and blx 185 don't have any cushioning for the fans but the fans don't break? Weird. Honestly if I were you I'd just run it without the fan because in a truck that light it'll never be taxed enough to need a fan. Then again you said you're at 130 so maybe we gotta find a solution.

Last edited:
Yeah that seems to be an issue with those esc's. I'm not sure why though, because no esc I own has ever had any fan issues except my max8 and other similarly designed ones. My mamba monsters and blx 185 don't have any cushioning for the fans but the fans don't break? Weird. Honestly if I were you I'd just run it without the fan because in a truck that light it'll never be taxed enough to need a fan. Then ahain you said you're at 130 so maybe we gotta find a solution.
I shouldn't forget to mention that's on 4s might be more on 6s but i retired the 6s. 4s is more friendly to my drivetrain and wallet as i was replacing diffs and drive cups constantly now i haven't had any issues 4s on these rigs is almost bulletproof. Ive always wondered why the cutoff temp on esc is is like 220 that's crazy hot! You can even program it up to 250 or something

I shouldn't forget to mention that's on 4s might be more on 6s but i retired the 6s. 4s is more friendly to my drivetrain and wallet as i was replacing diffs and drive cups constantly now i haven't had any issues 4s on these rigs is almost bulletproof. Ive always wondered why the cutoff temp on esc is is like 220 that's crazy hot! You can even program it up to 250 or something
Yeah for hobbywing that temp cutoff is way up there.

Anyway you're getting 130f, on 4s???? That's way too hot. That esc is meant for 8s, for a truck the size of the Xmaxx. Even my mamba monster 2 runs around 110 and that's on 6s in a 15 pound truck geared north of what it really should be. There's no reason that your esc should be that hot, especially how it's pushing half the weight it should and with half the voltage it should.

Will
Yeah for hobbywing that temp cutoff is way up there.

Anyway you're getting 130f, on 4s???? That's way too hot. That esc is meant for 8s, for a truck the size of the Xmaxx. Even my mamba monster 2 runs around 110 and that's on 6s in a 15 pound truck geared north of what it really should be. There's no reason that your esc should be that hot, especially how it's pushing half the weight it should and with half the voltage it should.
Well when it had the fan like its meant to it only ever reached 98 to 110 ever never more unless geared up but i only run the 16t on the 1480kv now i hit cutoff temp one time on 6s when u didn't realize my fan busted got toasty i thought it was done but it's still going strong. Ive heard that the higher the voltage the less stress on the esc but idk how true that is seems the higher the voltage the hotter everything runs except the battery

Will

Well when it had the fan like its meant to it only ever reached 98 to 110 ever never more unless geared up but i only run the 16t on the 1480kv now i hit cutoff temp one time on 6s when u didn't realize my fan busted got toasty i thought it was done but it's still going strong. Ive heard that the higher the voltage the less stress on the esc but idk how true that is seems the higher the voltage the hotter everything runs except the battery
Still seems hot to me but I guess I've never owned a max6 so I dunno. Anyway, you're correct on what you said about the second half of battery voltage. More voltage definitely makes the esc hotter.

Still seems hot to me but I guess I've never owned a max6 so I dunno. Anyway, you're correct on what you said about the second half of battery voltage. More voltage definitely makes the esc hotter.
I like the max6 but definitely not worth the money being the fans bust after the first jump wish the blx 185 would work with the 1480 motor or will it being they're both 150amp?

I like the max6 but definitely not worth the money being the fans bust after the first jump wish the blx 185 would work with the 1480 motor or will it being they're both 150amp?
Nah. Just not even close. Normally amp ratings are good to go by as long as you stick to the same manufacturer when you compare, but hobbywing that’s definitely not the case. The blx 185 is good for 4074 motors, the max8 is good for 4082 motors, and the Max6 is good for 4092 motors and 4582 motors on 8s.

I never run 8s rated systems and from my experiences, castle systems are ultra reliable (at least the old stuff) so I’ve always been a Mamba Monster and mamba monster 2 guy because they’re also good for 4582 can motors, just "can’t" run 8s (I and many others have)

I had a Mamba Monster that ran for 9 years and the fan finally died a few weeks before the esc itself died. Currently I have an mxl 6s (mm2) and it’s seen the skate parks 50 or so times, still no dead fan. My senton’s blx 185 is fine because that truck isn’t that heavy so I’ll probably just leave that how it is. For the e revo, definitely needed that mamba monster 2, because my hobbywing max8 wasn’t cutting it. Too hot! That truck may only be running a 4276 motor, but it’s pulling tons of amps so it tends to be quite the cook off for electronics in general.

Edit: well I say it can’t run 8s but really my old mamba monster was overvolted to 8s many times (to achieve that 121mph slash run as well) and it took well over a thousand runs to kill, and my mxl-6s is hacked to version 1.24 so I have no overvoltage cutoff and no over amperage cutoff either. (This essencially makes it an MMM, but waterproof.) The Mamba monster original was the only esc to ever come out of the factory with no current limiting. I believe Castle now offers a “mamba monster 2 retro” that has no amperage limiting either, but there’s only a limited supply, so I just took my mm2 and hacked it to that firmware.

Edit2: couldn’t hurt to try it on 4s with the 1480kv with your blx185 for a little bit.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back