Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this isn't one of those moments when you learn how the magic trick is done and now its not special anymore!?

I decided I would rather encourage people to build things, than hide secret methods of how things are done. Soooo without further adue the front steering setup is Arrma 6s :ROFLMAO: using the rear Arrma 6s axle stubs to allow input of a dog bone instead of CVD.

The Arrma 6s front knuckle/hub screws directly into the aluminum part instead of an upper and lower A-Arm.
1619535495245.png

front steering.JPG

Front steering Capture.JPG

Thanks to @Mr.Duke for a great write up on pressing in dog bone pins.
His thread on this is: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/replacing-driveshaft-dog-bone-pins-on-arrma-6s-vehicles.14362/

His link for the tool was no longer good, but I found it here:

https://www.snowguarddepot.com/products/s-5-s-5-e

The tool is on the way and should be in this week. At that point I can make the front axle. Basically it is a 8mm shaft with pins on either end to function like a rear dog bone would. I'll have to assemble everything and install one of the pins after everything goes in as they wont pass through the bearing.... Not the most ideal setup for servicing, but it is what I came up with. I'd love to make the front a CVD setup one day, but for now a more simple approach was best.

Last edited:
I may have missed this but you mentioned tires - what are you running for tires? Foams?
Correct I'll be running BSR foams. Most likely I'll run the purple compound.
For mock up in the garage and initial testing I have the GRP tires. Foams are expensive, so they wont see use till its ready for a real test run.

Can’t wait to see how this project turns out. Bring that title home to Dallas! Would be awesome to see this thing run in person.
Thanks man!
Probably wont be running in Texas unless you know of an Airstrip I can get on. I have asked 4 smaller ones and got turned down.
I have one more I want to ask but I am going to take the car with me when done to see if it might help persuade them ;)

Hopefully this isn't one of those moments when you learn how the magic trick is done and now its not special anymore!?

I decided I would rather encourage people to build things, than hide secret methods of how things are done. Soooo without further adue the front steering setup is Arrma 6s :ROFLMAO: using the rear Arrma 6s axle stubs to allow input of a dog bone instead of CVD.

The Arrma 6s front knuckle/hub screws directly into the aluminum part instead of an upper and lower A-Arm.
View attachment 142290

View attachment 142293

View attachment 142291

Thanks to @Mr.Duke for a great write up on pressing in dog bone pins.
His thread on this is: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/replacing-driveshaft-dog-bone-pins-on-arrma-6s-vehicles.14362/

His link for the tool was no longer good, but I found it here:

https://www.snowguarddepot.com/products/s-5-s-5-e

The tool is on the way and should be in this week. At that point I can make the front axle. Basically it is a 8mm shaft with pins on either end to function like a rear dog bone would. I'll have to assemble everything and install one of the pins after everything goes in as they wont pass through the bearing.... Not the most ideal setup for servicing, but it is what I came up with. I'd love to make the front a CVD setup one day, but for now a more simple approach was best.
Hats off to you @LibertyMKiii for sharing the wealth of this hobby. Knowledge. Since I have been in the hobby I have always tried to share
the knowledge so that future Hobbyist can gain from it, I still have a ton to learn in the Car/Truck part of this so job well done.

Thanks man!
Probably wont be running in Texas unless you know of an Airstrip I can get on. I have asked 4 smaller ones and got turned down.
I have one more I want to ask but I am going to take the car with me when done to see if it might help persuade them ;)
Have you tried any of the strips they run 1:1 Texas half mile events at?

No, For 40 years I lived up north in New York and was out west a few times but not for R/C. I went to a real race track called "Whiperwool" near Orlando. When I got there I was in shock. In real life, it seems so small!

Have you tried any of the strips they run 1:1 Texas half mile events at?
That thought crossed my mind a few times. I probably should.
I live near McKinney, so I was hopeful to find one closer to home.

I do have access to one in Alabama but its a 10 hr drive :cry:

That thought crossed my mind a few times. I probably should.
I live near McKinney, so I was hopeful to find one closer to home.

I do have access to one in Alabama but its a 10 hr drive :cry:
Oof...yeah that's a trek. Try Caddo Mills Municipal Airfield...could be a possibility.

Dang, dude! What's your caster angle and Ackermann convergence point on the front end? Don't want that speeding bullet to go tumbly-wumbly on you!

Oof...yeah that's a trek. Try Caddo Mills Municipal Airfield...could be a possibility.
Actually did try them already ;)
Municipal smaller / less traffic was my target, but everyone has rules and procedures these days....
Dang, dude! What's your caster angle and Ackermann convergence point on the front end? Don't want that speeding bullet to go tumbly-wumbly on you!
Probably pretty far off for any normal use, but the wheels just need to be locked dead straight (thanks to a strong servo) and camber very minimal. The U-turn at the end of the run will be a very slow one....

I understand the Ackerman and caster to be important for taking turns. Are they of any concern when the wheels are dead straight? (always open to learning)

Last edited:
Dang it....I think that's where they host Wanna Go Fast.
Looks like Wanna Go Fast is at "The Grand Prairie Armed Forces Reserve Complex or Grand Prairie AFRC (formerly Naval Air Station Dallas or Hensley Field"

Interesting little bit on Wikipedia "Soon after the BRAC closure, ownership of 738 acres (299 ha) of the former base was transferred from the U.S. government to the city of Dallas, but plans to redevelop the land for other uses have been stalled since 2001 due to the U.S. Navy's failure to mitigate environmental contamination that occurred while the site was used by the military"

Looks like Wanna Go Fast is at "The Grand Prairie Armed Forces Reserve Complex or Grand Prairie AFRC (formerly Naval Air Station Dallas or Hensley Field"

Interesting little bit on Wikipedia "Soon after the BRAC closure, ownership of 738 acres (299 ha) of the former base was transferred from the U.S. government to the city of Dallas, but plans to redevelop the land for other uses have been stalled since 2001 due to the U.S. Navy's failure to mitigate environmental contamination that occurred while the site was used by the military"
I can't remember which one it was that they held out at Caddo Mills...but they used to be both there and GP.

Actually did try them already ;)
Municipal smaller / less traffic was my target, but everyone has rules and procedures these days....

Probably pretty far off for any normal use, but the wheels just need to be locked dead straight (thanks to a strong servo) and camber very minimal. The U-turn at the end of the run will be a very slow one....

I understand the Ackerman and caster to be important for taking turns. Are they of any concern when the wheels are dead straight? (always open to learning)
Usually a bigger caster angle gives you more stability in a straight line :)

Usually a bigger caster angle gives you more stability in a straight line :)
It is difficult to find documentation on caster angle when there is no suspension, but it appears it is not as relevant unless you have suspension and taking turns. It is discussed in rear suspension design and mentioned not necessary when there is no steering.

I guess we will see, if this car is terribly unstable then I'll have to re-design the front mounts with positive caster.

I am very familiar with positive caster as the Nissan 240sx has MacPherson strut setup with lots of positive caster. It will self center the steering due to this. I had not considered the need in this application, but it is easy to miss little details like this.

Thanks guys for pointing it out!

It is difficult to find documentation on caster angle when there is no suspension, but it appears it is not as relevant unless you have suspension and taking turns. It is discussed in rear suspension design and mentioned not necessary when there is no steering.

I guess we will see, if this car is terribly unstable then I'll have to re-design the front mounts with positive caster.

I am very familiar with positive caster as the Nissan 240sx has MacPherson strut setup with lots of positive caster. It will self center the steering due to this. I had not considered the need in this application, but it is easy to miss little details like this.

Your project is very unique in many ways so therefore it could be that some adjustments have different effects than usual. So it's really hard to tell haha but I hope that everything of your build goes a planned and that it will be super stable in the end. Fingers crossed that everything goes well :)

240sx....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back