Kraton Loud cracking sound when applying heavy brake or full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latif

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Whenever I apply a heavy brake, throw it in reverse full throttle, or pin the throttle from a standstill, I hear a loud singular cracking/snapping noise and it seems to be coming from around the centre diff. I checked the rear and centre diff and they are both perfectly fine I'm worried it could be the motor...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I had a similar sound and it was the bulkhead in the rear being cracked. I had opened it up and gone over the differentials. but had not thought to check the housings.

Also...I noticed on other cars if you have the punch setting high it can cause those symptoms. If you increased punch settings start turn back to stock to test.

I had the same sound. My front dog bone is slightly bent and hitting the servo mount

Not yet. I pulled it apart and sewer my front dogbone bent .I replaced that but didn't go away. I'll check the diff cup .

Towards the end of my bash session yesterday, I noticed a loud grinding cracking noise while braking. I assumed the front gear box was cracked but when I removed the front diff I noticed the input shaft cup was loose. The smaller bearing towards the cup was 'missing'. When I shimmed the diffs and replaced the bearings I used red permatex on the grub screw. So I'm thinking I messed up one of the following:
  1. The bearing fell out when I pushed the input shaft through and I didn't notice.
  2. The bearing exploded leaving nothing left. I didn't see any fragments in the gearbox and the outer ring was nowhere to be found
  3. When I tightened the grub screw down I missed the flat spot on the shaft.
  4. A combination of all three.
So I checked the gears and everything looks good. I replaced the diff in the gearbox and shimmed between the bearing and the gearbox with the Tekno shims. I replaced the missing bearing with a new one. I replaced the original drive cup, applied permatex red, and tightened it down more than I should've. I'm sure I hit the flat spot this time. I'm going to let it dry for a day before I test it out. After work tomorrow I'm going to take a look at the rear and center diffs. Most likely will not get a chance to test it until the weekend.

If your getting the cracking noise during braking and accelerating, You Should check the front and rear diffs.

I had a similar sound and it was the bulkhead in the rear being cracked. I had opened it up and gone over the differentials. but had not thought to check the housings.

I also had the same issue and it was comming from flex under hard acceleration or breaking because of a crack on the right side of my rear bulkhead.

I'm having the same symptoms with a loud cracking noise when hitting full throttle. Not Center diff. I just put a new leopard 4092 1730kv in and I'm worried this is the culprit. I'm going to swap out with stock motor to rule this out.

I just had this problem, it wasn't really loud . but i was a missing tooth on my pinion..good luck boss

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back