Kraton LSD differentials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sroy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
So looking for some thoughts or opinions.
I blew my front Diff housing after hitting a tree.
i have remedied the issue with going away from the arrma bumper and have a HR front suspension holder. I have also ordered and received 2 aluminum diff housings from hot racing along with the cover and the sway bar holder. I also blew the transfer case gear and replaced with a LSD center diff along with practical proto motor and diff holder.. I also orders and received 2 LSD diffs and T4 gears.
so I’m about to rebuild both the front and rear diffs completely. But I saw somewhere that people like to run open diffs in the back... am I making a mistake with running LSD on all 3? With 30/100/30 oils? I’ve spend an extra 1k on this car trying to make it as bullet proof as possible. ( I can list all the upgrades and my wife is on a first name basis with UPS guy now) But I’m just curious on the thoughts of what I’m doing with the drive train. ( if your a jets fan please don’t respond!)

i have remedied the issue with going away from the arrma bumper and have a HR front suspension holder. I have also ordered and received 2 aluminum diff housings from hot racing along with the cover and the sway bar holder. I also blew the transfer case gear and replaced with a LSD center diff along with practical proto motor and diff holder.. I also orders and received 2 LSD diffs and T4 gears.
so I’m about to rebuild both the front and rear diffs completely. But I saw somewhere that people like to run open diffs in the back... am I making a mistake with running LSD on all 3? With 30/100/30 oils? I’ve spend an extra 1k on this car trying to make it as bullet proof as possible. ( I can list all the upgrades and my wife is on a first name basis with UPS guy now) But I’m just curious on the thoughts of what I’m doing with the drive train. ( if your a jets fan please don’t respond!)
The open rear diff is done for handling purposes. You can do the rear diff in the minimum effect LSD setup with 10k or less. From what I've read, the EXB diffs are stronger due to more gear contact and more angle on the teeth.

Arrma also sells a shim kit to make the diffs open
"DIFF SHIM SET (FITS 29mm DIFF CASE) (3 DIFFS) (ARA311094) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough" https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA311094

FYI, not a football/sports fan period. What I make up for it as a man is this hobby, real cars, and guns 🤷🏻‍♂️

92595-6881f2a395ce8cf2892797682ef65164.png

The open rear diff is done for handling purposes. You can do the rear diff in the minimum effect LSD setup with 10k or less. From what I've read, the EXB diffs are stronger due to more gear contact and more angle on the teeth.

Arrma also sells a shim kit to make the diffs open
"DIFF SHIM SET (FITS 29mm DIFF CASE) (3 DIFFS) (ARA311094) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough" https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA311094

View attachment 129109
I’ve got 2 shims in there. I like the way it handles as it is right now. I’ve got the LSD in the front and the transfer case but haven’t touched the rear yet. ( I have the lsd in the transfer case and front end with the replacement plastic housing in the front)

I’ve got 2 shims in there. I like the way it handles as it is right now. I’ve got the LSD in the front and the transfer case but haven’t touched the rear yet. ( I have the lsd in the transfer case and front end with the replacement plastic housing in the front)
If it handles the way you like it, then that's what matters 👍🏼. By transfer case, you mean center diff I'm sure.

What replacement plastic housing you're talking about? The diff cup or diff case housing? I know there's a lot of different names for different parts and things get lost in translation.

football-season-is-here-idont-28802410.png

I’m a Jeep guy. So transfer case is the center diff.... Diff holder, diff housing? Attached a photo of replacement I’m installing with 2 shims and all the replacement EXB or HR suspension holders

EB1CCEBE-E754-4D3C-A90C-60958C7C2DA0.png

I’m a Jeep guy. So transfer case is the center diff.... Diff holder, diff housing? Attached a photo of replacement I’m installing with 2 shims and all the replacement EXB or HR suspension holders

View attachment 129114
Might be better suited using that in the rear. I haven't had a problem with plastic diff cases/ bulkheads but I've read the rear usually takes the most beating.

Also read the diff case bulkhead cover would be all you'll need to strengthen the diff assembly.

Also read the GPM bulkhead kits are just as good as the hot racing bulkheads but you get all three pieces and at a cheaper price.

This info is all based on people here on this forum and what they've experienced, not myself. I know @FatCatRC and @jkflow have first hand experience on this

Might be better suited using that in the rear. I haven't had a problem with plastic diff cases/ bulkheads but I've read the rear usually takes the most beating.

Also read the diff case bulkhead cover would be all you'll need to strengthen the diff assembly.

Also read the GPM bulkhead kits are just as good as the hot racing bulkheads but you get all three pieces and at a cheaper price.

This info is all based on people here on this forum and what they've experienced, not myself. I know @FatCatRC and @jkflow have first hand experience on this
The way the Arrma bumper attaches to the Front bulk head of diff housing? You hit the wrong way and it cracks it. I’ve already purchased and own the HR ones and I’m going to install my question was I have 3 LSD diffs should I put all 3 in or leaver the rear alone?

Yet another diff thread... look around this forum and you find plenty of information. But i have also a question. Can somebody explain to me what is the actual difference in handling changing the rear diff into a open one, with 10k fluid in it compared to LSD config.
I have the shim set here but haven't installed it yet and only have 10k fluid...

So... gotten a little bit of info. But not really any answers. Is anyone running 3 LSD diffs in their Kraton? My question was should I or shouldn’t I.

Me with my son’s Kraton EXB. Handles great to me.

Roughly speaking the LSD diffs essentially allow you to run much lighter fluid so they slip at first but as they start to spin faster they begin to lock up. Essentially they act like 3-5x heavier diff fluid. LSD diffs center and front with maximum effect act like fluid 5x thicker. Plates stacked for minimum effect act more like 3x. So your front is not bad and your center is fine, but I suggest 3k or 5k in the rear.

The main difference is that an open diff will be more consistent, while an LSD diff will initially spin (slip) like an open diff with the lighter fluid, but then the plates and holes have a hydraulic effect and lock the diff, preventing “diffing out”. That means an LSD diff will transition from more slip to much less, and some people don’t like that it will change and how it may affect the handling.

Personally, I think LSD diffs are a great choice for bashing, certainly superior in front amd center, and I like how it handles with minimal effect and light oil in the rear. I plan to swap EXB LSD diffs into my Notorious when I get the budget and JemnysRC has them at some point.

Roughly speaking the LSD diffs essentially allow you to run much lighter fluid so they slip at first but as they start to spin faster they begin to lock up. Essentially they act like 3-5x heavier diff fluid. LSD diffs center and front with maximum effect act like fluid 5x thicker. Plates stacked for minimum effect act more like 3x. So your front is not bad and your center is fine, but I suggest 3k or 5k in the rear.

The main difference is that an open diff will be more consistent, while an LSD diff will initially spin (slip) like an open diff with the lighter fluid, but then the plates and holes have a hydraulic effect and lock the diff, preventing “diffing out”. That means an LSD diff will transition from more slip to much less, and some people don’t like that it will change and how it may affect the handling.

Personally, I think LSD diffs are a great choice for bashing, certainly superior in front amd center, and I like how it handles with minimal effect and light oil in the rear. I plan to swap EXB LSD diffs into my Notorious when I get the budget and JemnysRC has them at some point.
That was seriously helpful and a lot of insight. Thank you. So I’m going to run 3 LSDs but with 10k fluid in the rear Diff.

If you would run 30k in an open rear diff, it’s a good place to start. 👍
I have 30k and 100k fluid. I was about to order 10k. Having LSD center and front does any one have an LSD rear diff?

I have 30k and 100k fluid. I was about to order 10k. Having LSD center and front does any one have an LSD rear diff?

I do, most Kraton EXB owners who got one after November got LSD rear. Sure, a few will rebuild the LSD rear with the included shim kit for an open diff but I doubt many do that.

Personally, the 29mm diff is clearly designed as an LSD diff so that’s how I’ll run it.

I do, most Kraton EXB owners who got one after November got LSD rear. Sure, a few will rebuild the LSD rear with the included shim kit for an open diff but I doubt many do that.

Personally, the 29mm diff is clearly designed as an LSD diff so that’s how I’ll run it.
So wait. I got mine at the end of January. Am I replacing stuff I already have?

If you have a Kraton EXB you already have the new 29mm LSD diffs with the meatier gears. If you have a Kraton V5 (not the EXB) you do not have these upgraded LSD differentials.
I do not have the EXB. So I appreciate your input. I didn’t waste money on what I purchased. What a relief.

Reading up on the Kraton EXB. This was a good read.

I've ordered a Kraton 6S EXB has not arrived. As of Oct 2021, has anyone purchased one to know how the diffs are shipped? F/C/R diffs still LSD/LSD/Open more of a question on the rear. Or the rear partial LSD?

Kraton will be more of a surface RC for me, not a jumper. I like to drift in my turns for faster turning and have the front diff power out the drift/turn in the direction I want to go. Infraction I do a 60/200/30K for that effect and BR 30/15K. I was "thinking" the same for the K6S EXB.

Not understanding LSD fully but getting a slight understanding not sure how the LSD diffs play in what I want or if I need to modify the fluids. I watch @Razor video remove 1 LSD plate out I the front diff for better steering I believe for more slip. I might have that wrong he may have rearranged the 3 plates in a different order but still confusing to me :)

Still curious today how diffs ship from the factory. If I am looking for drifting and turning effect is there an ideal way to set up the front LSD diff.

@Engineer

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back