Notorious Max 8 G2 vs Max 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenBasher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So getting ready to upgrade ESC/Motor Combo. I’m debating between the new mAx 8 G2 2250 KV combo and the Max 6 1650 KV combo. I’ve searched to find a comparison on the internet but it’s about one or the other.

I like the max 8 for higher BEC voltage and amperage, supposedly superior cooling, and being sensored which isn’t super important.

The max 6 for larger motor, can run 8s even though I’ll be 6s only but gives wiggle room to keep it cooler. The ESC fan will be upgraded so not worried about that. A bit worried that extended run times on max 8 g2 with 6s will send it to thermal more often.

Back story on rig, I’ve upped diff fluid to 60k-f 500k-c 30k-r. Also am putting in treal steering block, rear hubs, Servo mount and steering assembly. Along with m2c chassis, shock towers, front and rear braces, and the ESC mounting plate too. Also a HV 45KG Servo. It runs 45KG/0.085 at 8.4v and 39kg/0.10 at 7.4v. As well as I have my eyes on the fine mesh grublock motor mount as well. This is my only rig atm and want it to be as durable as possible.

I know this will weigh the rig down and has me leaning towards the max 6. Is there a reason why I should do the max8 g2 over the max6 other than the higher BEC which can be achieved with an external BEC.

Thanks for any and all help.

So getting ready to upgrade ESC/Motor Combo. I’m debating between the new mAx 8 G2 2250 KV combo and the Max 6 1650 KV combo. I’ve searched to find a comparison on the internet but it’s about one or the other.

I like the max 8 for higher BEC voltage and amperage, supposedly superior cooling, and being sensored which isn’t super important.

The max 6 for larger motor, can run 8s even though I’ll be 6s only but gives wiggle room to keep it cooler. The ESC fan will be upgraded so not worried about that. A bit worried that extended run times on max 8 g2 with 6s will send it to thermal more often.

Back story on rig, I’ve upped diff fluid to 60k-f 500k-c 30k-r. Also am putting in treal steering block, rear hubs, Servo mount and steering assembly. Along with m2c chassis, shock towers, front and rear braces, and the ESC mounting plate too. Also a HV 45KG Servo. It runs 45KG/0.085 at 8.4v and 39kg/0.10 at 7.4v. As well as I have my eyes on the fine mesh grublock motor mount as well. This is my only rig atm and want it to be as durable as possible.

I know this will weigh the rig down and has me leaning towards the max 6. Is there a reason why I should do the max8 g2 over the max6 other than the higher BEC which can be achieved with an external BEC.

Thanks for any and all help.
I think alot of your answer here would depend on how aggressive you like to run your gearing. The old max8 iirc was good for up to a 15t pinion on the stock spur/center diff. I can imagine the G2 is slightly more capable (higher amp capacity). So if you're okay with good power and don't' want "insane power", then you probably don't need the max6. Sensored would be nice, but do you really need it in a basher?

Then again, the max6 is proven, durable, and 8s capable if you want to change projects later on. The only reason I see doing max8 g2 over max6 (if budget can do either) is if you want sensored.

Notorious is a stunt truck, I’ll be going with that g2 setup as I feel the max 6 combo in it now is a bit thiiiic for monster jumping and air control. 8.4V is a huge bonus for quality high RPM fans and a quality servo turning 6S backflips or bigger.

Great torque from their 4274 motor and you can gear up to 60+mph without fear of low speed cogging from being sensored with plethora of ESC tuning options in comparison.

I think alot of your answer here would depend on how aggressive you like to run your gearing. The old max8 iirc was good for up to a 15t pinion on the stock spur/center diff. I can imagine the G2 is slightly more capable (higher amp capacity). So if you're okay with good power and don't' want "insane power", then you probably don't need the max6. Sensored would be nice, but do you really need it in a basher?

Then again, the max6 is proven, durable, and 8s capable if you want to change projects later on. The only reason I see doing max8 g2 over max6 (if budget can do either) is if you want sensored.
Yes that’s what I was thinking about sensored is that is it really needed? To me I could care less tbh. Right now it’s a $7 difference between the two so it’s same price essentially. But when I run the rig it runs hard and really doesn’t stop until the wheel are up in the air.
Those are some heavy upgrades you’ve installed. The bigger motor would be smart for the extra torque. And the Max6 is much stronger than the Max8.
I agree about the weight and why I’m leaning towards max6. Parts are not on yet but accumulating in a box to do a big wrenching session in the near future.

Do y’all think an external BEC is worth the hassle and chance of another part failing to squeak out the remaining potential of the Servo im installing? As it stands with fans and Servo current draw I have an amp to spare on the ESC BEC for a max 6.
Notorious is a stunt truck, I’ll be going with that g2 setup as I feel the max 6 combo in it now is a bit thiiiic for monster jumping and air control. 8.4V is a huge bonus for quality high RPM fans and a quality servo turning 6S backflips or bigger.

Great torque from their 4274 motor and you can gear up to 60+mph without fear of low speed cogging from being sensored with plethora of ESC tuning options in comparison.
For me speed isn’t what I’m really interested in for this truck. I’m looking more for torque and cool temps. Flips, wheelies and stunts is for the noto. I plan on buying a used and busted typhon roller in the future to zip around in for speed. Hoping most spare parts I’m pulling off the Noto can do somewhat rebuild. Leaning towards just an external BEC for the max6.

Last edited:
Yes that’s what I was thinking about sensored is that is it really needed? To me I could care less tbh. Right now it’s a $7 difference between the two so it’s same price essentially. But when I run the rig it runs hard and really doesn’t stop until the wheel are up in the air.

I agree about the weight and why I’m leaning towards max6. Parts are not on yet but accumulating in a box to do a big wrenching session in the near future.

Do y’all think an external BEC is worth the hassle and chance of another part failing to squeak out the remaining potential of the Servo im installing? As it stands with fans and Servo current draw I have an amp to spare on the ESC BEC for a max 6.

For me speed isn’t what I’m really interested in for this truck. I’m looking more for torque and cool temps. Flips, wheelies and stunts is for the noto. I plan on buying a used and busted typhon roller in the future to zip around in for speed. Hoping most spare parts I’m pulling off the Noto can do somewhat rebuild. Leaning towards just an external BEC for the max6.
For the best massive air control you’ll find 60+ mph is the target, 😊 plenty of torque in the HW 4274 for standing backflips too with the right punch/turbo/timing

Only you can say whether sensored is valuable or not. Does your current ESC/motor combo cause excessive cogging that bothers you? I know my kraton exb running on a 1730kv 4092 motor and max6 with a 18 or 20t pinion (can't remember) is very smooth at the start. The more torque and power you give it (larger motor) the easier time it will have driving slowly.

Also, most sensored systems are only using the sensor capabilities at low speed. Once you speed up they kick into sensorless mode as it's much more efficient. So based on your description of your driving, it sounds like you wouldn't really be using the sensored capabilities at all. Just my 2 cents.

Idk, the max6 combo is tried and proven (for me).. the max 8 g2 has caught fire quite a bit..
The 4985 will undoubtedly deliver all the power you could need. I'm sure the 4278 is pretty stout, but at 2250kv, not a great choice for a heavy rig.. it's more of a standard truggy motor than MT.
The weight of the 4985 is up there, but if you're beefcaking a 6s Arrma, you'll want the torque I think.
BEC voltage is a big plus for the max8, but is it worth ignoring the plethora of reported fires here on AF and abroad? Not IMO. A good servo on 7.4v should be plenty. Sensored? Not needed either IMO.

Only you can say whether sensored is valuable or not. Does your current ESC/motor combo cause excessive cogging that bothers you? I know my kraton exb running on a 1730kv 4092 motor and max6 with a 18 or 20t pinion (can't remember) is very smooth at the start. The more torque and power you give it (larger motor) the easier time it will have driving slowly.

Also, most sensored systems are only using the sensor capabilities at low speed. Once you speed up they kick into sensorless mode as it's much more efficient. So based on your description of your driving, it sounds like you wouldn't really be using the sensored capabilities at all. Just my 2 cents.
Right now I have the stock 150a firms/2050kv motor and no it doesn’t bother me about the cogging. Only time it doesn’t drive fast is when my wife is running it which isn’t often. I planned on gearing up and trying a 20t maybe 22t pinion on it and seeing how they both run as well.

Also I read on the forum here that the C rating matters a lot more for the Max8 G2 that they require a higher C rating but never found out what the requirement would be. Another member stated his ESC caught fire and HW warrantied it but wrote back saying use higher C rating lipos.

I am currently running zeee 6000mah 100c 6s lipos. I know they are cheaper so may have issues there as well.
Idk, the max6 combo is tried and proven (for me).. the max 8 g2 has caught fire quite a bit..
The 4985 will undoubtedly deliver all the power you could need. I'm sure the 4278 is pretty stout, but at 2250kv, not a great choice for a heavy rig.. it's more of a standard truggy motor than MT.
The weight of the 4985 is up there, but if you're beefcaking a 6s Arrma, you'll want the torque I think.
BEC voltage is a big plus for the max8, but is it worth ignoring the plethora of reported fires here on AF and abroad? Not IMO. A good servo on 7.4v should be plenty. Sensored? Not needed either IMO.
And that’s what I have heard about the Max8 with ESC fires. I do service work for a living and I always consider user application as well because it can be a good product but used incorrectly and people complain about the product but sometimes they create the problem in wrong application. I’m wondering if it’s the lower rated C batteries. You hear the fire story but not always the lipos being used.

That’s why I worry about the Zeee lipos as some suggest the C rating isn’t always the truest.

Right now I have the stock 150a firms/2050kv motor and no it doesn’t bother me about the cogging. Only time it doesn’t drive fast is when my wife is running it which isn’t often. I planned on gearing up and trying a 20t maybe 22t pinion on it and seeing how they both run as well.

Also I read on the forum here that the C rating matters a lot more for the Max8 G2 that they require a higher C rating but never found out what the requirement would be. Another member stated his ESC caught fire and HW warrantied it but wrote back saying use higher C rating lipos.

I am currently running zeee 6000mah 100c 6s lipos. I know they are cheaper so may have issues there as well.
What are you running for tires? Backflips? 20-22t sounds way too big for stock motor/esc..it's gonna get hot quick. Do you have a temp gun? Keep an eye on the temps..
I too read the story of HW claiming the "C" ratings were insufficient.. not sure I believe what HW is claiming to be true. Seems to me if the batteries had been insufficient, the batteries would likely end up damaged as well? Anyway, personally, I won't buy a max 8 g2 until the rest of the world is giving good feedback.
That’s why I worry about the Zeee lipos as some suggest the C rating isn’t always the truest.
Zeees aren't likely the best on the market, but many, including myself have used them without issue. If you research you'll find that there's really no such thing as a true 100 "C" battery available. At least not to the masses such as us.. those you have should be fine..the tell tale sign is when the batteries get hot during use. I believe over say 125f is when you need to be concerned..

Last edited:
What are you running for tires? Backflips? 20-22t sounds way too big for stock motor/esc..it's gonna get hot quick. Do you have a temp gun? Keep an eye on the temps..
I too read the story of HW claiming the "C" ratings were insufficient.. not sure I believe what HW is claiming to be true. Seems to me if the batteries had been insufficient, the batteries would likely end up damaged as well? Anyway, personally, I won't buy a max 8 g2 until the rest of the world is giving good feedback.

Zeees aren't likely the best on the market, but many, including myself have used them without issue. If you research you'll find that there's really no such thing as a true 100 "C" battery available. At least not to the masses such as us.. those you have should be fine..the tell tale sign is when the batteries get hot during use. I believe over say 125f is when you need to be concerned..
Yes stock backflips. I read a thread here where a guy used a 12t and it overheated from under gearing and was recommended at 20t but I’ll try a 18t too.

I definitely have a temp gun multiple ones too have to have quality temp guns for work.

I made my mind up going with the tried and true max 6/4985 combo.

Thanks guys for everything.

Yes stock backflips. I read a thread here where a guy used a 12t and it overheated from under gearing and was recommended at 20t but I’ll try a 18t too.

I definitely have a temp gun multiple ones too have to have quality temp guns for work.

I made my mind up going with the tried and true max 6/4985 combo.

Thanks guys for everything.
I've heard of folks overheating due to under gearing but never experienced it. In theory, it makes sense, I guess you would be running at or near full throttle too much. Therefore creating excessive heat. Stock is what, 14t? TBH, I rarely gear down, unless I've fitted larger tires or added weight such as a bunch of M2C goodies. I'm a low budget rc'er so, I don't own any M2C. My brother has a Slug with a bunch of M2C parts, they're nice.
Good choice on the max 6 combo, stick with the highest C ratings you can afford, from known brands or at least brands you can find good feedback for, and you'll be good. Also, stick with higher mah batteries, they have more overhead for amp draw than lower mah batteries. Just make sure they'll fit your battery compartment, LOL.

I've heard of folks overheating due to under gearing but never experienced it. In theory, it makes sense, I guess you would be running at or near full throttle too much. Therefore creating excessive heat. Stock is what, 14t? TBH, I rarely gear down, unless I've fitted larger tires or added weight such as a bunch of M2C goodies. I'm a low budget rc'er so, I don't own any M2C. My brother has a Slug with a bunch of M2C parts, they're nice.
Good choice on the max 6 combo, stick with the highest C ratings you can afford, from known brands or at least brands you can find good feedback for, and you'll be good. Also, stick with higher mah batteries, they have more overhead for amp draw than lower mah batteries. Just make sure they'll fit your battery compartment, LOL.

I wanted to be low budget but bashing and wanting more durability led me down this road. That’s why I just have this one rig… for now.

12t is stock with a 16t high speed pinion. I may upgrade battery’s at some point but have had good luck so far with zeee 🤞. Seems to have an overall good rating with the bad one offs. So far it holds charges well on 2 - 6200 mah 4s and 2 - 6000 mah 6s, I always take the time to balance charge and storage charge when done after cool off. They do get warm around 120ish but nothing bad and have ran on mid-upper 80 days so far. 4s fits well and 6s is snug can’t go much bigger without another mod on 6s.

I wanted to be low budget but bashing and wanting more durability led me down this road. That’s why I just have this one rig… for now.

12t is stock with a 16t high speed pinion. I may upgrade battery’s at some point but have had good luck so far with zeee 🤞. Seems to have an overall good rating with the bad one offs. So far it holds charges well on 2 - 6200 mah 4s and 2 - 6000 mah 6s, I always take the time to balance charge and storage charge when done after cool off. They do get warm around 120ish but nothing bad and have ran on mid-upper 80 days so far. 4s fits well and 6s is snug can’t go much bigger without another mod on 6s.
Yep.. all good stuff. Keep a close eye on the temps.. even stock gearing gets quite warm on a typical summer day. Personally, until you upgrade the motor/esc, I would stick with 16t or lower on the pinion. Your choice of course✌
With that 4985, since it's a lower kv with considerably more power, 20 plus tooth pinion should be no problem.

Right now I have the stock 150a firms/2050kv motor
That HW Max8 motor probably puts out similar power as the stock Arrma motor. The only reason to do that upgrade is for the sensored capability IMO. I doubt you would notice any power improvement.

If you want more power, get a bigger motor. An alternative idea might be to keep your Firma 150 ESC and just buy a 4082 motor. I think I've seen a few people running those with the stock ESC.

https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Hobb...82015290&sprefix=4082+moto,aps,97&sr=8-1&th=1

Only thing is with the 150a ESC is I believe it only has 4a current on the BEC and the Servo I’m looking to use is a bit of a power hog pulling 4.3a at 7.4v and even at 6.0v it pulls 4.0a. So then it’s downgrading the Servo. I’m going to be using a AFGRC A81BHMW Servo which I found makes perfect pass and reefs and has a 20% coupon on Amazon currently.
That HW Max8 motor probably puts out similar power as the stock Arrma motor. The only reason to do that upgrade is for the sensored capability IMO. I doubt you would notice any power improvement.

If you want more power, get a bigger motor. An alternative idea might be to keep your Firma 150 ESC and just buy a 4082 motor. I think I've seen a few people running those with the stock ESC.

https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Hobby-Rocket-Brushless-Sensorless/dp/B083BTTPLW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EVR7IN9U08ZA&keywords=4082+motor&qid=1682015290&sprefix=4082+moto,aps,97&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Hobby-Rocket-Brushless-Sensorless/dp/B083BTTPLW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EVR7IN9U08ZA&keywords=4082+motor&qid=1682015290&sprefix=4082+moto,aps,97&sr=8-1&th=1
Would that motor do well in a Talion runiing on 4s at a race track? A bit more torque and speed is all I need

Would that motor do well in a Talion runiing on 4s at a race track? A bit more torque and speed is all I need
The 4082? It’s not sensored and it’s too big for official race rules.

But if you’re just ripping around a track I bet it’d be fine. More powerful than the stock motor without adding too much weight.

I’d get a higher kv though if you’re running 4S:

HobbyStar 4082 4-Pole Brushless Sensorless Motor, 1/8 Truggy/Monster Truck - 2000KV https://a.co/d/heKH48f

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back