Outcast/Kraton (Max5 G2 combo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandroidRC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
*see edit/updated info at the bottom of this post

PSA - It’s been very difficult finding information on people trying to run the new hobbywing Max5 gen2 combo. The new cans are slightly longer than the previous generation

(I believe all 3 options, 1100, 800, and 650kv, are all about 119mm long). I tried fitting the gen2 800kv motor in my Outcast, and the motor is just too long - not by much, but enough to make it impossible to dremel out enough material to get it to fit.

It hits the back of the upper suspension arm bracket, but you can clear it pretty easily with light sanding. The real issue of that it hits the steering linkage. I suppose with shorter steering arms you MIGHT get it to fit, but idk if anyone makes a shorter steering arm.. See photo - at full crank to the driver’s side, there’s no hitting, but as you turn right, the linkage swings left and hits the motor. In the photo it looks like it wouldn’t hit so bad, and I originally thought I could dremel it.. but there’s really no way. As it swings left you realize it’s much more in-the-way than it looks. You’d have to dremel that linkage nearly in half..

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_8984.jpeg

********EDIT::: M2C racing came out with a new bell crank that allows more clearance and allows the new gen2 motors to fit!

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many people bought this combo without thinking about if it would fit or not. There have been so many people complaining about these new motors. It seems like the only reason hobbywing did this dumb poop is so they could reuse some of the motor components they already had. All the new motors are literally the same length as the old 800kv + added sensor stuff on the end. Maybe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked really hard at my motor mount, but I wonder if there’s a way to mill out a couple of millimeters from the motor mount to move it back some?

I'm surprised so many people bought this combo without thinking about if it would fit or not. There have been so many people complaining about these new motors. It seems like the only reason hobbywing did this dumb poop is so they could reuse some of the motor components they already had. All the new motors are literally the same length as the old 800kv + added sensor stuff on the end. Maybe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me.
I bought the new combo after doing my research on the last gen combo, not realizing there was a size difference. I assume that would be pretty easy mistake to make as I don't consider myself a dummy, but I have been wrong before.

It looks to be about two mm that can be taken off of the motor mount to move it away from the steering rack, that along with a little bit of drama work should work just fine. Does anyone see a problem with that? Just thought of this, that was for the motor mount Slider. the motor mount slide holder also has to be Clarence.

I was disappointed to see the Max5 could only be bought with the longer can motor.. my bro bought the O8S roller and asked me to help him find a combo for it. We run moderate power so..
Then, just now I looked and see HW is offering a max5/5690 combo for preorder?! Oops, sorry bro, he already ordered a max6/5687..
But yeah, guess the 5690 is new? Will that fit O8s chassis?

I was disappointed to see the Max5 could only be bought with the longer can motor.. my bro bought the O8S roller and asked me to help him find a combo for it. We run moderate power so..
Then, just now I looked and see HW is offering a max5/5690 combo for preorder?! Oops, sorry bro, he already ordered a max6/5687..

Why not just buy a max5 g2 and then pair it with whatever motor you like?

man that max 6 is going to be working HARD in that arrma 8s, I'm still surprised that's what it basically ships with. The 5690 will also fit no problem, even the 56112 hw 800kv will fit. :cool: (y)

Why not just buy a max5 g2 and then pair it with whatever motor you like?
Cuz we cheap I guess. LOL.
I went on HW direct, think it was $350 or so seperate..max 5 and 5687.
BTW, the coupon code value went down.. see here..
August 5th, then today's price.. weird.
They must've just dropped this 5690 motor, wasn't on their site a few days ago?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805-122716_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805-122716_Samsung Internet.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230811-161055_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-161055_Samsung Internet.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230811-161752_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-161752_Samsung Internet.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
It looks to be about two mm that can be taken off of the motor mount to move it away from the steering rack, that along with a little bit of drama work should work just fine. Does anyone see a problem with that? Just thought of this, that was for the motor mount Slider. the motor mount slide holder also has to be Clarence.
I think you’d really need to be able to clearance about 6mm to get her to squeeze in there. Unfortunately I think that’s a bit too much to make it possible without custom steering linkage/bell crank with shorter arms.

The old 800kv motor was almost too large (113mm) but you can fit it with some minor clearancing. The new cans are 119.2mm, so I think you’d really need to find those extra 6mm somewhere. Even if you could get two from the mount side and 2 from the steering linkage, you’d still be too long by a couple mm.
You’re probably right. Seems like a dumb idea in the end though since they missed out on a large potential customer base (i.e. anyone with an Outcast or Kraton 8s)…

I think you’d really need to be able to clearance about 6mm to get her to squeeze in there. Unfortunately I think that’s a bit too much to make it possible without custom steering linkage/bell crank with shorter arms.

The old 800kv motor was almost too large (113mm) but you can fit it with some minor clearancing. The new cans are 119.2mm, so I think you’d really need to find those extra 6mm somewhere. Even if you could get two from the mount side and 2 from the steering linkage, you’d still be too long by a couple mm.

You’re probably right. Seems like a dumb idea in the end though since they missed out on a large potential customer base (i.e. anyone with an Outcast or Kraton 8s)…
m2c came out with their new bellcrank that allows the hw motor to fit.

Regarding the M2C steering system. I've noticed that they've shaved a bit of material from the steering top plate in conjunction to the fitment of the re designed parts.
I imagine there'd be quite a demand for this new setup considering as soon as I became aware of the part being available via their Facebook feed. It was sold out literally in less than 24 hours.

Regarding the M2C steering system. I've noticed that they've shaved a bit of material from the steering top plate in conjunction to the fitment of the re designed parts.
I imagine there'd be quite a demand for this new setup considering as soon as I became aware of the part being available via their Facebook feed. It was sold out literally in less than 24 hours.
Looking right now it says there’s still one left for the entire bellcrank system, and several still available for the system that only includes the driver’s side arm (which is technically all you need)

Looking right now it says there’s still one left for the entire bellcrank system, and several still available for the system that only includes the driver’s side arm (which is technically all you need)
I've checked again about 7 hours ago and looks like they have replenished their stocks. That's the beauty of keeping their manufacturing in-house.

Update: I got another Max5 Gen2 combo as well as the new higher clearance M2C bell crank (#3630). I was worried it would only clear if you also had their M2C chassis, but it clears with the stock outcast EXB chassis. The only thing you really need to do is a tiny bit of sanding on the steering top plate where it makes contact the motor, as well as grind down a good chunk of the plastic side guard in the top corner (the motor contacts it pretty bad).

Outside of that I noticed you get pretty bad steering to the left out the box. To the right is great though. But because the driver’s side bell crank arm was shortened to make room for the motor, that caused the bolt that runs through the steering linkage and through tie rod end ball joint to come into contact with the bell crank arm as you turn to the left. I did grind down that bolt a bit, and that seemed to help a decent amount, but left steering is still not amazing - but reasonable now

Update: I got another Max5 Gen2 combo as well as the new higher clearance M2C bell crank (#3630). I was worried it would only clear if you also had their M2C chassis, but it clears with the stock outcast EXB chassis. The only thing you really need to do is a tiny bit of sanding on the steering top plate where it makes contact the motor, as well as grind down a good chunk of the plastic side guard in the top corner (the motor contacts it pretty bad).

Outside of that I noticed you get pretty bad steering to the left out the box. To the right is great though. But because the driver’s side bell crank arm was shortened to make room for the motor, that caused the bolt that runs through the steering linkage and through tie rod end ball joint to come into contact with the bell crank arm as you turn to the left. I did grind down that bolt a bit, and that seemed to help a decent amount, but left steering is still not amazing - but reasonable now
This is interesting as Aldo was talking about how his steering is actually better now and from the video it definitely was steering just fine. I'm more surprised his drive train is handling 12s. I also thought it was interesting he thought the castle 800kv was more motor than the new hw after trying both. Maybe you should just get that, definitely cost more though.
At this point, I’m looking for retailers who still have the 56113 for sale to avoid the aggravation
One in the classified section and I think it's new

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back