Megasty's Kraton 8s Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megasty

RC Mod-Father
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Outcast 8s
  10. Outcast 6s
  11. Senton 6s
  12. Talion
I'll try to keep these tame at first then go crazy on the thing when I break it in. I'll work with the stock parts as much as I can so anyone can do it - starting with that stupid brace, making it as strong as possible with $15 worth of Home Depot stuff:
1214192001_HDR (Copy).jpg

A little 3/4" square tubing can go a long way . . .
1214192002_HDR (Copy).jpg

1214192002a_HDR (Copy).jpg

1214192003_HDR (Copy).jpg

1214192015_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192016_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192017_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192018_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192019_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192019a_HDR (Copy).jpg
1214192023_HDR (Copy).jpg

After a bit of digital caliper work I found that these 2 items can easily fit over the brace when combined, making it bulletproof.

Look at what I found in the parts bin . . .

1217190343_HDR.jpg

A massive 26t pinion. Yeah, that's pushing it to the max, literally. The mount at end of the stock sliding position & the mesh is dead solid perfect. It's a HR 26t pinion if anyone wants to know. I originally ran it on punch 5, 15 motor timing - 17t pinion, & it was still a dog. Upped it to 23t and it was getting there. It could actually wheelie. I need to make a wheelie bar so I don't wreck the wing since it was straight in the air & riding on it :LOL: The 26t should be nuts but I better turn down the timing to keep temps at bay.

1217190349_HDR.jpg

I also replaced the pathetic 2.5mm head screws with the same length 3mm head bolts. No way to strip these guys.

View attachment 57568
A massive 26t pinion. Yeah, that's pushing it to the max, literally. The mount at end of the stock sliding position & the mesh is dead solid perfect. It's a HR 26t pinion if anyone wants to know. I originally ran it on punch 5, 15 motor timing - 17t pinion, & it was still a dog. Upped it to 23t and it was getting there. It could actually wheelie. I need to make a wheelie bar so I don't wreck the wing since it was straight in the air & riding on it :LOL: The 26t should be nuts but I better turn down the timing to keep temps at bay.

View attachment 57569
I also replaced the pathetic 2.5mm head screws with the same length 3mm head bolts. No way to strip these guys.
That mesh looks quite tight ?

View attachment 57568

View attachment 57569
Yeah, better watch your Timing and Temps. Gearing is very tall. Mesh looks borderline there. Good luck. Nice work.

That mesh looks quite tight ?
That's just the camera angle. I gave it a paper strip to make sure.

Yeah, better watch your Timing and Temps. Gearing is very tall. Mesh looks borderline there. Good luck. Nice work.

It's 18 F here so my temps are great. Probably will be bad in the spring but this system will be long gone by then.

It’s a shame there’s no easy way to beef up the brace connections on this rig. The other two braces really need to go to a heavier chassis and not the drive unit.
I have plans for that & it won't be pretty. The poor thing might end up looking like a fortress when I'm done. But I'll give it some proper upgrade treatment to make up for it. Any beefed up chassis is going to have its work cut out for it though.

That's just the camera angle. I gave it a paper strip to make sure.

It's 18 F here so my temps are great. Probably will be bad in the spring but this system will be long gone by then.

You own lots of 6s models and likely know all about setting mod1 gearing mesh by now, so I am not doubting you on the mesh.
From memory I thought the paper strip method was only accurate for 48p gears? I suppose it would depend on the weight of the paper for mod 1 use?

I always do the wiggle/feel test. Something that has to be learned with time on the right amount of play.

It’s a shame there’s no easy way to beef up the brace connections on this rig. The other two braces really need to go to a heavier chassis and not the drive unit.

there is a way but it will come with the expense of weight gain... a milled CNC trans cover/housing. That Would be the path of least resistance.

I have a feeling that once the M2C chassis is released, the bracing won't be much of an issue. For those not on FB, @RC DUDE81 posted some clips of him testing a prototype chassis and motor mount. Patience, fellas. Great things are coming!???

I have a feeling that once the M2C chassis is released, the bracing won't be much of an issue. For those not on FB, @RC DUDE81 posted some clips of him testing a prototype chassis and motor mount. Patience, fellas. Great things are coming!???
Seen everything. I'm still on the fence on whether to go with the XLX/2028 or max5/56113. I'll probably leave it to a coinflip. I have a monster 52t pinion that sent my X-Maxx to 79mph. At this rate the Kraton will laugh at those numbers. I already hit 62mph with the 26t pinion & the Bandito X's. Still, moving that fast with something that large is scary af. It wasn't my cup of tea with the X-Maxx & I don't think I'll go in that direction with the Kraton. I also don't have the confidence to keep it under control while videoing it. I don't see how anyone can do that if they have to video themselves. All I want is the overpowered-ness that the 6s has & that little motor won't cut it.

But it does love the snow:
You own lots of 6s models and likely know all about setting mod1 gearing mesh by now, so I am not doubting you on the mesh.
From memory I thought the paper strip method was only accurate for 48p gears? I suppose it would depend on the weight of the paper for mod 1 use?

I always do the wiggle/feel test. Something that has to be learned with time on the right amount of play.
I use index cards most of the time with larger gear. Regular paper can easily be compressed by them.

Last edited:
Seen everything. I'm still on the fence on whether to go with the XLX/2028 or max5/56113. I'll probably leave it to a coinflip. I have a monster 52t pinion that sent my X-Maxx to 79mph. At this rate the Kraton will laugh at those numbers. I already hit 62mph with the 26t pinion & the Bandito X's. Still, moving that fast with something that large is scary af. It wasn't my cup of tea with the X-Maxx & I don't think I'll go in that direction with the Kraton. I also don't have the confidence to keep it under control while videoing it. I don't see how anyone can do that if they have to video themselves. All I want is the overpowered-ness that the 6s has & that little motor won't cut it.

But it does love the snow:

I use index cards most of the time with larger gear. Regular paper can easily be compressed by them.

I've never heard you speak before! Nice video ??? The truck rips!

Great vid.....shame about the tyre ?
It's all back re-glued. Now, al I have to do is blow the other 3 like that to reglue them as well. The stock glue job looks great but the glue is awful.

I'm starting to enjoy this :ROFLMAO: I went mad max with the bumper using the stiffest junkyard stuff I could find. I also found the old skateboard wheels I used on the X-Maxx for the 1st 2 yrs. Nearly an instant wheelie bar. The rear wing mount will probably be wrecked soon but I have a relatively easy fix for that. I never went over the lights or body reinforcement so I'll include those as well:

1218191556_HDR.jpg

1218191557a_HDR.jpg

1218191558_HDR.jpg

1218191559_Burst04.jpg

1218191559_HDR.jpg

1218191602_HDR.jpg

1218191604_HDR.jpg

1218191604a_HDR.jpg

1218191605_HDR.jpg

1218191606b_HDR.jpg

1218191606c_HDR.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back