Kraton MMX8s will not power on after adding castle b link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotalBub

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I ordered a castle b link recently and it was delivered today. As soon as I got done with work I rush out to install it. After install I paired it with the app, downloaded the data logs, thumbed through all the calibration options.

When I was done I clicked “disconnect” and now the entire Esc won’t power on. When I connect a new spektrum (only 2 runs through it) G2 battery the ESC does nothing— no beeps, no lights, nothing. The servo/steering works but nothing from the ESC.

I removed the b link and plugged the Esc directly into the reciever yet still nothing.

I cannot connect to the b link anymore either. I can find it as a “new controller” but when I try to connect to it that way it says “failed to get firmware version” (see below)
IMG_2958.png

Also pictured is the Esc when “powered on” the blue light is flashing on the b link and red is solid. No lights or sounds from the Esc though.
image.jpg

Any ideas what it is going on? How did I I completely loose access to my Esc lol

Wow...
Doesn't seem like any user error here.
I would call CC first. Pick their brain.
Have you uninstalled the App and re installed it yet? What I would do, if you haven't already. Can you do an ESC reset. Does that respond to a power up.
Just Call CC.
Good luck.

Wow...
Doesn't seem like any user error here.
I would call CC first. Pick their brain.
Have you uninstalled the App and re installed it yet? What I would do, if you haven't already. Can you do an ESC reset. Does that respond to a power up.
Just Call CC.
Good luck.
Callled CC-- they recommended i find a wired Castle Link and get it hooked up that way. Bounced around a few shops today and found one in store they let me borrow. Got it hooked up to the computer but it wouldnt connect. While plugged in the fan did its short power on cycle and one yellow light showed then it went off along with the fan. It only did that one time. CC said i needed to send it in to them unfortunately.
Anyone care to share their expereinces with CC support? I am hoping I am not in for a nightmare

Happy Friday Jr. everyone

CC told me to send my MMX8s in to them for service-- before I do so, has anyone ran into a similar experience as me?

This all started when I tried using the B-Link for the first time and when doing so it prompted me to update the firmware. The update stopped mid way through but it let me still look at all the configurations and download data logs so I thought it was fine. When i finished and went to test drive it my ESC was "bricked" and would make and beeps/lights at all. (it still wont) I tried using the wired Castle Link to a computer at my hobby shop yesterday and it wouldn't connect to that either so CC support said I needed to send it in.

I would love to be able to fix this on my own without haven't to send it in and be at their mercy for who knows how long.

Lastly, does anyone have any advice for dealing with their support? I haven't worked with CC support before but i've had poor experience with other companies and their support teams. For example, sometimes they will ask loaded questions/traps that if answered wrong will invalidate your warranty.
Does anyone know of anything I should be on the lookout for?

Would also love to hear anyone general experiences with sending something in (how long did they have it, how long to return it, did they fix or replace it, etc etc)

Thanks peeps

Callled CC-- they recommended i find a wired Castle Link and get it hooked up that way. Bounced around a few shops today and found one in store they let me borrow. Got it hooked up to the computer but it wouldnt connect. While plugged in the fan did its short power on cycle and one yellow light showed then it went off along with the fan. It only did that one time. CC said i needed to send it in to them unfortunately.
Anyone care to share their expereinces with CC support? I am hoping I am not in for a nightmare
Some say great. Some not.
I never had any personal exper. with CC myself. Try Searching AF for anything in regards. Cust. service can be a mixed bag with any brand IMHO. There is much chatter. But CC is very popular.
I'm a HW guy. CC has been on my Bucket list.....
Yeah the CC ESC is probably toast at this point. You tried everything.
Good luck. Let us know what happened. :cool:

Some say great. Some not.
I never had any personal exper. with CC myself. Try Searching AF for anything in regards. Cust. service can be a mixed bag with any brand IMHO. There is much chatter. But CC is very popular.
I'm a HW guy. CC has been on my Bucket list.....
Yeah the CC ESC is probably toast at this point. You tried everything.
Good luck. Let us know what happened. :cool:
Will do brother-- i hear they are sticklers about proper gearing but i can only find their official gearing charts for their 1/10 class motors. They either don't publically post them for the MMX8s or they are really good at making it hard to find.

Is that a Spektrum receiver you're using? I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that there can be issues when using the MMX8S with Spektrum receivers...especially when you try to to do B-Link. Search the forum here for posts about that too....apparently there is some kind of fix for the issue.

Also give reflashing the firmware a try if you can connect to castle link on the pc.

Will do brother-- i hear they are sticklers about proper gearing but i can only find their official gearing charts for their 1/10 class motors. They either don't publically post them for the MMX8s or they are really good at making it hard to find.
CC will tend to tell Cust. on a "case by case" basis what "THEY" feel is a "proper gear". Just to serve their own agenda. Basically Pointing blame on the User.(n)
Just that I don't agree with their Logic at all in this regard. No other ESC Mfr will tell you "What gear" is appropriate. There are just too many other variables to consider, to say that. Variables that CC don't or can't consider. You the user must sort that out.

CC will tend to tell Cust. on a "case by case" basis what "THEY" feel is a "proper gear". Just to serve their own agenda. Basically Pointing blame on the User.(n)
Just that I don't agree with their Logic at all in this regard. No other ESC Mfr will tell you "What gear" is appropriate. There are just too many other variables to consider, to say that. Variables that CC don't or can't consider. You the user must sort that out.
CC has their gear charts for some of their products - only up to 1:10 scale though see https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.ne...ace/10th-Scale-Gearing-Chart-095-0130-01L.pdf

Hopefully all goes well-- when i called the support person already started to tell me i had it over geared at 20T pinion 50T spur (stock) since the kraton 6s RTR comes with a 12T. I pushed back saying "yeah, thats with a 2050kv motor-- i am using your 1650 motor and have to gear up to match" and the guy kind of grumbled and never really agreed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back