Mongoose's Typhon Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sealed up the now empty antenna hole. Turned out pretty good.

#6-32 x .50” Flat Head Cap Screw - Stainless
#6 Finishing Washer - Stainless
#6-32 Hex Nut, Nylon Locking Insert - Stainless
Nylon Washer (forget the dimensions)
Rubber washer (forget the dimensions)
#6 Flat Washer - Stainless

0A34B37A-78BA-4599-B7CE-8F190721DD37.jpeg

2CB4EFCB-5CE6-45CE-9DB9-A689B115460D.jpeg

B48134CB-1434-4E2F-BB26-B67AB597B5C3.jpeg

F326885B-D162-4CF0-B391-383F2BF166F8.jpeg

435FE2BC-63D4-4E57-A1A4-A6A3FE636BB6.jpeg

CA05F5B3-587F-4E91-94FE-8EC618D6831C.jpeg

Got to take it out for a while today. It’s still wet and muddy so I went back to the same parking lot but this time it was slightly spitting rain so it added some awesomeness to the run. The blacktop is smooth and on a slight grade, throw in a little bit of water and it was almost like ice!

I turned the punch up to 7 and BAM instant smile! I was able to just drift around even easier than before. I’m liking this GT5 more and more every time I use it. The throttle and steering is nice and smooth, couple that with the BLX185 and I have a well controlled and predictable Typhon. I was able to hold the drift arcs by just adjusting my trigger pull ever so slightly and slowly rather than the usual throttle blipping like I have been used to with the Tactic. Same goes for the steering. I had a blast and hope to get back out tomorrow. I’m glad I increased the diff oil weight because it was perfect on a surface like this.

I love this Typhon!

Sounds like you had fun..!! I've got my punch set to max ? ( I blame @RC DUDE81 for that..!! ??? )
I really need to look at my diff oils though as I'm not really happy with the handling at the moment...?

I’m kicking around of just setting the punch to max and adjusting the expo on my radio. This way I will easily have it whenever I want it. The only reason I don’t set it to max is to save the drivetrain. Sometimes, like today HOPEFULLY I will go to the local park that has a soccer field with the turf with the rubber bits in it (don’t know the actual name for it) and boy does it hook up! There is absolutely no wheel spin when running on it so all that force goes straight to the diffs. It would be nice to adjust it on the fly.

Oh, and I think @RC DUDE81 is the cause of the majority of my bad decisions in the RC game ???

Edit - Sidenote, how much do you think I can get for a Tactic Tx with a TR326 HV Rx?

Finally ran 6S today which was a good time. Opened it up on a artificial soccer field. Usually when I run there I have some knobby cleats on my tires and it hooks and launches but these Katars were a different story. I guess the knobs were too shallow to really dig in so I just basically drifted around like it was snow lol. Pretty cool to watch black rubber bit rooster tails ?. She really moves!

I also put my Minnokawas on my ET and I have to say I like them MUCH better on it than I did my Kraton. I don’t know if it’s the weight difference or what but I actually like them now. To give you an idea, the Tekno ET48 is actually lighter than the Typhon if you can belive that. Quite a bit lighter actually.

GT5 update. I had to cut my session short at my spot prior to the soccer field because the Rx was picking up a signal from something and it was acting glitchy. It would accelerate on its own, not fast but still, I didn’t like it. Not sure what was going on. I put the Typhon up and got out the ET which is bound to a Tactic and it was fine. GT5 was fine at the soccer field thankfully. Kinda has me a little paranoid now though....

Finally ran 6S today which was a good time. Opened it up on a artificial soccer field. Usually when I run there I have some knobby cleats on my tires and it hooks and launches but these Katars were a different story. I guess the knobs were too shallow to really dig in so I just basically drifted around like it was snow lol. Pretty cool to watch black rubber bit rooster tails ?. She really moves!

I also put my Minnokawas on my ET and I have to say I like them MUCH better on it than I did my Kraton. I don’t know if it’s the weight difference or what but I actually like them now. To give you an idea, the Tekno ET48 is actually lighter than the Typhon if you can belive that. Quite a bit lighter actually.

GT5 update. I had to cut my session short at my spot prior to the soccer field because the Rx was picking up a signal from something and it was acting glitchy. It would accelerate on its own, not fast but still, I didn’t like it. Not sure what was going on. I put the Typhon up and got out the ET which is bound to a Tactic and it was fine. GT5 was fine at the soccer field thankfully. Kinda has me a little paranoid now though....
The Flysky has an antennae if I'm not mistaken. You have it laying down inside. Think that might have anything to do with the glitches in reception?

The Flysky has an antennae if I'm not mistaken. You have it laying down inside. Think that might have anything to do with the glitches in reception?

It could but I was only like 15 yards away when it would happen and it was in the same spot each time. I’d hit a jump and drive it back and every time I would get back to the start where I would turn around and line back up it would do it. I ran it 80 yards away multiple times at the soccer field without issue. I guess I’m gonna have to break down and put pull the antenna out but I would rather not.

I was running at a church with a library next to it....I dunno ?‍♂️

It could but I was only like 15 yards away when it would happen and it was in the same spot each time. I’d hit a jump and drive it back and every time I would get back to the start where I would turn around and line back up it would do it. I ran it 80 yards away multiple times at the soccer field without issue. I guess I’m gonna have to break down and put pull the antenna out but I would rather not.
I agree. I'd rather not have the antennae out either. Whatever you decide, you at least know to be careful now. Hopefully it's just a bad spot and the glitch never rears it's ugly head again.

I agree. I'd rather not have the antennae out either. Whatever you decide, you at least know to be careful now. Hopefully it's just a bad spot and the glitch never rears it's ugly head again.

Kind of ironic isn’t it? Upgrade the stocker due to known glitches and then experience glitches on the upgrade ?‍♂️

I still love it though. I could definitely feel the difference in quality switching back and forth between it and the Tactic.

Oh, and the new OC sideguards are a win. Keeps the chassis really clean especially with the snug fitting body. I usually have a bunch of the rubber bits all over the place along with grass. I basically only had dust in it when I pulled the body to unplug the battery each time.

Last edited:
Oh, and the new OC sideguards are a win. Keeps the chassis really clean especially with the snug fitting body. I usually have a bunch of the rubber bits all over the place along with grass. I basically only had dust in it when I pulled the body to unplug the battery each time.
I have the OC side guards on all my rigs..??? best upgrade ever..!!

Designed my own fan shroud and my buddy printed it. I need to make a couple revisions though. It’s a bit too tall and I need to make the bottom diffusers larger. Other than that it feels likes it’s moving the air across the whole can pretty well. I think it’s going to work awesome since the air is constrained by a flow path and isn’t lost out of the sides like a typical fan mount.

D6039913-BFAE-4759-B5A4-0FEEE5DB2C2F.jpeg

6D501D25-E676-4CBF-885F-8A5D13A7776F.jpeg

E31A0CED-7CFB-4310-B1C9-B138657D172B.jpeg

1EFF32C7-D2BF-4148-903B-E68CDD44A5A3.jpeg

85B35FCF-D3D2-4141-BA00-3FAF8EDF49C9.jpeg

9AA4EF47-03F4-400E-9F2A-065A5AAFFDFF.jpeg

FA133B6B-048B-4DFF-8FA1-8195F13E4BB9.jpeg

Very nice! What filament and printer? The red is a nice touch. I keep buying black and it’s boring ??

Thank you! I’m not real sure about the printer but I will find out. The material is PLA? I don’t know much about it. He printed a carbon fiber version but it came out kind of rough.

Thank you! I’m not real sure about the printer but I will find out. The material is PLA? I don’t know much about it. He printed a carbon fiber version but it came out kind of rough.
Yeah it takes a lot of trial and error getting each filament dialed in. I’m using carbon PLA for most of my stuff because I have my Ender 5 dialed in for it.

Quick question tho, is there exhaust vents on your design? I looked quickly and couldn’t see where the air gets out. ??‍♂️ Otherwise I love the contours and overall design. ????

Yeah it takes a lot of trial and error getting each filament dialed in. I’m using carbon PLA for most of my stuff because I have my Ender 5 dialed in for it.

Quick question tho, is there exhaust vents on your design? I looked quickly and couldn’t see where the air gets out. ??‍♂️ Otherwise I love the contours and overall design. ????

Yeah, they are on the bottom of it so you can’t see them. I meant to take a pic before mounting the fan but got caught up installing it. There is about .100” gap along the length between the motor can and bottom lip with 3 diffusers on both sides that are about another .050” deep each which also flare out. You can kind see them in the model renderings. Thank you for the compliments as well.

I guess my buddy is using carbon PLA too? He said some moisture got into and threw everything off.
I have a few ideas on making this better. I’ll spend some time on it tomorrow night (hopefully) and throw up some pics to get your input on it @jondilly1974. I’m shooting for a 30-40 degree drop in temp. I think you speed guys could benefit from it the most. If it works then I’ll move to the ESC. Although since modifying my MMX shroud and adding the WTF fan it has yet to break 100F and that was flat bashing on 5S. I’m normally pushing 130’s.

I also have an idea for a refillable dry ice tray.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add a bit of info real quick. I Think they’ve changed something else on the BLX185. I plugged in a 2S battery to test the fan before buttoning it up and the ESC would blink 2 green lights with 2 chirps. I had steering but no throttle. Double checked everything, all was in place and plugged in, then I tried a 3S battery and my throttle came back and the lights and chirping stopped. I don’t remember 2S being a problem before? I have always used a 2S to check my connections?

Just wanted to add a bit of info real quick. I Think they’ve changed something else on the BLX185. I plugged in a 2S battery to test the fan before buttoning it up and the ESC would blink 2 green lights with 2 chirps. I had steering but no throttle. Double checked everything, all was in place and plugged in, then I tried a 3S battery and my throttle came back and the lights and chirping stopped. I don’t remember 2S being a problem before? I have always used a 2S to check my connections?
I’ve used 2S on my V4 BLX185 ??‍♂️ But strangely 2S won’t work on the BLX120.

I’ve used 2S on my V4 BLX185 ??‍♂️ But strangely 2S won’t work on the BLX120.

The only thing I didn’t check was the voltage on the 2S pack but it should be good because I storage topped them all off last weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back