Mongoose's Typhon Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think Channel 1 on my Venom Pro Duo Charger is on its way out. Or maybe it’s just the balance board. I was thinking of getting a new charger anyway.

Alright fellas, I got a really good bash in yesterday at the BMX Park. About 3.5 hours worth so I got to know this thing pretty well and I’ve come to the conclusion with the upmost certainty. This thing is an ANIMAL, a BEAST, a TERROR, a NUTBALL, a “whatever adjective you want to use that means INSANITY”!!!! Seriously, I’m not kidding it is crazy ?.

I ran it on 6S, 17T pinion and punch set to 7 running MX2.8’s. I aired it out, had rough landings, “Chinese starred” across the surface of earth at a speed that just made it look like a blur, opened it up in a large field in tallish grass and it just kept coming back for more. It flies nice, it lands nice and it crashes nice. I love it.

Let’s talk about the raw grunt shall we? I was running in grass that was about 1/2 the height of the MX’s and it is still screamed through it. I was never able to hit full throttle because it was wanting to take off to the moon at 3/4 throttle. It was a blast! At one point I was bringing it back to me, I was scootin’, about 5/8 throttle and as it got closer started to brake, as it was slowing down it hit a small bump and it popped the back end up and it started “Chinese starring” toward me, it covered like 15 feet in a matter of a second if seemed, and it eventually crashed into my shin. Correction, it SLAMMED into my shin and for a second I thought it chipped my bone because it swelled up instantly. But, oh well, it’s all good now though, a little sore and bruised but whatever ?.

@Notorious J you need to get yours out there, you’re gonna be in awe! @Mr.Duke, I know youve mentioned you want one and all I have to say is DO IT! You would love it!

Quick o-ring update, they’re not strong enough so I’m going back to the braided line. I can only imagine how bad the ballooning would have been if I hadn’t had the o-rings on. They held the tires together, that’s about it. Still had major ballooning.

Edit - the only carnage of the day was my daughters rear shock tower on her Blackout. She sent it like Duperbash off a jump that is about 8 feet tall and landed like a lawn dart on the back end of it. She made me proud ?.

071C074F-968C-44C0-80CA-3DF48C1A2B7A.jpeg

D51236BA-2DFC-4FB1-A461-2623CEB9A541.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I think Channel 1 on my Venom Pro Duo Charger is on its way out. Or maybe it’s just the balance board. I was thinking of getting a new charger anyway.
Mine Venom is doing the same thing, fan on channel 2 is running rough

Alright fellas, I got a really good bash in yesterday at the BMX Park. About 3.5 hours worth so I got to know this thing pretty well and I’ve come to the conclusion with the upmost certainty. This thing is an ANIMAL, a BEAST, a TERROR, a NUTBALL, a “whatever adjective you want to use that means INSANITY”!!!! Seriously, I’m not kidding it is crazy ?.

I ran it on 6S, 17T pinion and punch set to 7 running MX2.8’s. I aired it out, had rough landings, “Chinese starred” across the surface of earth at a speed that just made it look like a blur, opened it up in a large field in tallish grass and it just kept coming back for more. It flies nice, it lands nice and it crashes nice. I love it.

Let’s talk about the raw grunt shall we? I was running in grass that was about 1/2 the height of the MX’s and it is still screamed through it. I was never able to hit full throttle because it was wanting to take off to the moon at 3/4 throttle. It was a blast! At one point I was bringing it back to me, I was scootin’, about 5/8 throttle and as it got closer started to brake, as it was slowing down it hit a small bump and it popped the back end up and it started “Chinese starring” toward me, it covered like 15 feet in a matter of a second if seemed, and it eventually crashed into my shin. Correction, it SLAMMED into my shin and for a second I thought it chipped my bone because it swelled up instantly. But, oh well, it’s all good now though, a little sore and bruised but whatever ?.

@Notorious J you need to get yours out there, you’re gonna be in awe! @Mr.Duke, I know youve mentioned you want one and all I have to say is DO IT! You would love it!

Quick o-ring update, they’re not strong enough so I’m going back to the braided line. I can only imagine how bad the ballooning would have been if I hadn’t had the o-rings on. They held the tires together, that’s about it. Still had major ballooning.

Edit - the only carnage of the day was my daughters rear shock tower on her Blackout. She sent it like Duperbash off a jump that is about 8 feet tall and landed like a lawn dart on the back end of it. She made me proud ?.

View attachment 69019

View attachment 69020
Weather is starting to open up here, so won't be long before it's out and terrorizing some of my favorite bash spots. I've had terrible luck with the Flysky GT5 receivers though. First with the Granite at the Auto show, then more recently with my Noto at a skate park. After a few jumps with hard landings, the receivers just get stupid. This really bothers me after I've invested a pretty penny on receivers. I'm going to try to get some simpler ones without gyro and avc. Hopefully they fair better than the BS series. If that doesn't pan out, then I have to switch out the radio. Nothing worse than the feeling of your truck losing signal, and I won't risk it with the Typhon going full out. Might throw a Tactic in it for the short term. Glad to see you're already up and enjoying yours.

Weather is starting to open up here, so won't be long before it's out and terrorizing some of my favorite bash spots. I've had terrible luck with the Flysky GT5 receivers though. First with the Granite at the Auto show, then more recently with my Noto at a skate park. After a few jumps with hard landings, the receivers just get stupid. This really bothers me after I've invested a pretty penny on receivers. I'm going to try to get some simpler ones without gyro and avc. Hopefully they fair better than the BS series. If that doesn't pan out, then I have to switch out the radio. Nothing worse than the feeling of your truck losing signal, and I won't risk it with the Typhon going full out. Might throw a Tactic in it for the short term. Glad to see you're already up and enjoying yours.

This sucks man. I’m sorry to hear it J. They must be hot and miss because I really ran my through the paces yesterday with some rough hits and high speed tumbles and I didn’t have any issues with it at all.

Worse comes to worse, I am getting a brand new in box Spectrum DX4S with 2 receivers in a package deal that I would sell you for a good deal if you’re interested.

The fan on channel 2 on mine is running rough as well and it takes forever for it to charge and balance on the channel 1 side now.
I'm not sure if it's my batteries or the charge that are going bad now

This thing is an ANIMAL, a BEAST, a TERROR, a NUTBALL, a “whatever adjective you want to use that means INSANITY”!!!!
Seriously, I’m not kidding it is crazy ?.
So what your basically saying is it's great...?????

Mine's pretty bat ? crazy too..???

I bet! Yours is on another level so I bet it’s even crazier. I like those towers you’re using because they’re thin. I don’t like the idea of adding anymore weight with the thicker towers because it’s too heavy for my liking the way it is now.

Mine's practically finished, just need time off work to play...????
I need to finish writing up my build log asap, it's going to be fun towards the end..??

Work always gets in the way of all the fun. I’m still waiting on that lottery ticket ?

@Mongoose ... Not too impressed with those Pro-line MX28 buggy tyres..?
The grip is insane, my buggy just wheelies at any speed..??
Downside is, it has pulled a tyre off after only 5 minutes of their maiden voyage, not happy ? I hope I can glue it back on..!!
Don't think I'd buy them again..?

@Mongoose ... Not too impressed with those Pro-line MX28 buggy tyres..?
The grip is insane, my buggy just wheelies at any speed..??
Downside is, it has pulled a tyre off after only 5 minutes of their maiden voyage, not happy ? I hope I can glue it back on..!!
Don't think I'd buy them again..?

That sucks man. I ran a pretty big bead of glue on the outside of mine before I ran them because I was afraid of the same thing. Just from the way they are mounted, they pose a higher risk of separating during bad rolls because the sidewall is so stiff and they just want to peel off. Luckily I haven't had that happen yet but I have seen the glue crack in a couple places so I’ve been adding more after each run to those areas.

Gotta love how they hook up though but that’s a moot point if they don’t stay on the wheel ?. PL needs to redesign the tire/wheel interface to allow more surface area between the tire and wheel so there is more glue. Maybe on the inside of the tire? They are awesome as long as the tire stays on. I really hope they fix it.

The crazy thing is, they had so much glue on the outside of the bead already from the factory I would have never expected them to come unglued..
My Katar buggy tyres have taken way more of a beating and have been run at least 10 times and they are still all glued up like new..?
Shame they don't grip that well...?

IMG_5671 2.jpeg
IMG_5671 3.jpeg

That sucks man. I ran a pretty big bead of glue on the outside of mine before I ran them because I was afraid of the same thing. Just from the way they are mounted, they pose a higher risk of separating during bad rolls because the sidewall is so stiff and they just want to peel off. Luckily I haven't had that happen yet but I have seen the glue crack in a couple places so I’ve been adding more after each run to those areas.

Gotta love how they hook up though but that’s a moot point if they don’t stay on the wheel ?. PL needs to redesign the tire/wheel interface to allow more surface area between the tire and wheel so there is more glue. Maybe on the inside of the tire? They are awesome as long as the tire stays on. I really hope they fix it.
The crazy thing is, they had so much glue on the outside of the bead already from the factory I would have never expected them to come unglued..
My Katar buggy tyres have taken way more of a beating and have been run at least 10 times and they are still all glued up like new..?

View attachment 71185View attachment 71186
Afternoon gents. On tires. Have either of you recently run 2.8 Badlands, and if so, notice anything about run times? With two brand new Ovonic 6000 mAh 50c 3s batteries, I can't get 10 minutes of run time in low, compacted grass. Gonna put the stock tires back on and give it a go. Anyways, hope you are both doing well and managing during these chaotic times.✌

View attachment 71185View attachment 71186

Yeah, see that little edge is what I am talking about. They need to add a flat there instead because there isn’t enough surface for the glue to bind to.
Afternoon gents. On tires. Have either of you recently run 2.8 Badlands, and if so, notice anything about run times? With two brand new Ovonic 6000 mAh 50c 3s batteries, I can't get 10 minutes of run time in low, compacted grass. Gonna put the stock tires back on and give it a go. Anyways, hope you are both doing well and managing during these chaotic times.✌

I run and 5200mah 6S Ovonic and 5200mah 6S Lectron Pro and get around 20 or so minutes with them on.

Yeah, see that little edge is what I am talking about. They need to add a flat there instead because there isn’t enough surface for the glue to bind to.

I run and 5200mah 6S Ovonic and 5200mah 6S Lectron Pro and get around 20 or so minutes with them on.
Something is terribly wrong with my Typhon. Will update after I switch the tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back