Nero Nero....Emperor Edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBlaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Nero
Ok, so yea I have fun with the names, whada bout it?! Seriously though, here is what I have goin on.

Stock Nero has been stretched and widened with hub adapters that also jacket it up to 24mm to accept them big boy wheels. Once I realized my YetiXL shocks could very easily be modified for use in the Nero, it solved a lot of problems mostly caused by the increased ground clearance. Two stage shock, one stage being the stiff Nero spring and one being the Yeti's longer stage. It runs great, until the stock electronics start feeling the burn... But, all in all, I feel it's a complete proof of concept rig in need of fine tuning. This is my NeroXL.

stv.jpg

What this new build will focus on is the attempt to splice in the Outcast 8s's center diff/motor into the NeroXL's chassis. New TVP's, adapters for front and rear Nero diffs, and a piece to allow the 8s diff/motor to be mounted to said new TVP's is what needs to be made to make that happen. So far I have the front/rear adapters and the mounting plate roughly made.
20230714_150733[419].JPG

The shop I work at has a small plethora of 2*3/4 bar stock left over from years past now that I'm trying to use up. That and the fact I don't wish to deal with a bearing surface is what keeps me from just making the red bracket and skip the whole adapter piece.

I'm left with a lot of figuring out of how to make that monstrosity fit into a new TVP design that doesn't wreck its whole mojo. It will have to be lengthened again and get around half an inch bigger in the middle to mount the motor/dif. Quarter inch each side doesn't bother me too much, it's how the drive axels will line up is what has me concerned. Any needed length can be made up with new adapters for the front/rear diffs so there is no concern really there.

Now let's talk about the elephant in the room...6s front and rear diffs under 8s power. I'll admit, they could very reasonably fail. But why do diffs fail to begin with? I'm under the impression that expansion in the differential housing under heavy load/stress would be a prime factor. That would be the appeal of a metal aftermarket part to me. This is where I feel the Nero has a trick up its sleeve, the plastic housing the diff isn't a "case" like in most RC's, rather the Nero's diffs are tucked into a more robust bulkhead. That and I've yet to have any diff issues with the abuse its been through so far has me hoping for the best either way.

20230714_150733[419].JPG

After crunching some numbers on axel length options, there is some crazy potential for lengthening using a couple Kraton8s's back drive axels. To match/beat the xmaxx, I would need to gain 2.75 in. Right now I'm looking at the potential for an easy 4.125in gain from current state. Making 21.5in from front to rear axel easily obtainable. I believe then it would be over 2.5 in longer than the xmaxx, and that makes me happy. I despise traxxas for the stopping the Nero. I want my Nero to play chicken with any xmaxx and be able to chew it up and spit it out. I digress.

Its not all about length. To me, I like my options. My TVP design is coming along well. Still in rough form, damn proof of concept mindset keeps me from getting too crazy with design. It's going to consist of a few pieces for each side. Pieces will be made that mount to the bulkheads and allow a bracket for the shocks to mount to. From there I'll use some of the 2x3/4 stock to create bridge pieces to the motor mount/center diff. Different lengths would be easy to create and allow for the use of different drive shafts to obtain custom overall vehicle lengths.

Adding the new motor/esc/batteries is the first real cost I've had in this adventure of modifying the Nero. Once this proof of concept has been ironed out, I will look into the possibility of actually buying materials for the TVP. Allowing for the possibility of using carbon fiber along with other weight reducing methods. Bringing the TVP design back to just two plates would be one objective as well. Who knows, maybe I'll be lucky and find some 1in plate stock laying around I can go to town on. Only need a couple chunks 5x12.5 in... Fusion360 had a nifty generative design feature that I know little about. I know you tell it what needs connected, maybe some other parameters, and it will create the most stable design given the information provided.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 120433.jpg

You sir are a madman!! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Why thank you kind sir.

I've got the go ahead to use up some of this beefy 1.25x4.5 material we have laying around so this madman will have some fun designing. Along with the Nero, I have an unhealthy attachment to Carnage from Spiderman. This just may turn into the Nero Carnage if I can get my cad/3d skills inline with what's in my head.
20230719_153122.JPG

Its been rough trying to get some time in on the design. Doing the OT thing at work, hell, right now I'm running pieces on a saturday. But with no one else around I'm able to whip out the laptop and get some things accomplished.

So far, number wise, things are working out perfect.. almost eerily perfect. Due to the 8s motor/diff mount having the outdrives .8 off center and the Neros front and rear diff nearly damn central it created a problem with the massive motor being in the way of the one drive shaft. After figuring for .05x2 being taken off the 1.25 dimension to clean both sides, the numbers work perfect to use the material to its maximum and have the shafts central.. Thats money baby.

Im thinking of going for a honeycomb design. I've sketched it out before, and it looked good useing a 3x7 honeycomb layout in that given area. Now I'm wanting to go madman and just see how few honeycombs I can make it be from point A to B. I think it would not only look sick with five, but also be very functional strength wise.

I just want to say thanks to the ones that have given their time to check my page out and leave a like or comment or whatever. Typing this out has such a benefit to an a.d.d. person like myself. There are too many know possibilities for me to focus on just what to work on sometimes. I have to admit this is done to help focus and motivate myself and the relatively small input has ment a lot. Thanks guys(if there was a girl, you too)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back