What should I Get?

• Super wicked Kraton 8s

• He who shall not be named (X-maxx)

• Hobo hyper MT

• Tamiya Wild Willys Jeep

• HPI Savage

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shazz4321

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
So I have a dilema... I do like the new Kraton however a few things have me questioning if its worth it compared to other options so wanted to put it out to the community for thoughts?

In Australia, the preorder listing is in the $1600 range... I could probably get it for ~$1400 from the US if I tried hard enough. In comparison, an Xmaxx retails for about $1300 and ebay usually have 20% off to get that to around $1100... So thats a $300-$400 difference depending on options.

Also, because Australia, parts I’m sure will be difficult to get at least initially and at reasonable prices so there’s that too. Traxxas and Arrma I assume will be comparative in prices.

By far the most common 1/5 scale is the Xmaxx and they are abundant down under so parts shouldn’t be a problem at all for that. However all I ever hear about the X-maxx is how easily it breaks and I will constantly be buying parts for it... But how common is that really?

There is also a decent 2nd hand market for the X-maxx which is virtually not available for the new Arrma obviously.

So basically is the extra $$$ worth it in either the short or long run for the Kraton, or is there another option? $300 buys a decent chunk of parts and I will be able to get them easily enough in the retail wasteland that is Australia... (Not that online is that hard but still)

A quick list in summary,
  • X-maxx is cheaper initially but may need more parts later.
  • Australian availability of stuff
  • Could go 2nd hand if appealing enough and can also sell later if needed.
  • The Kraton probably has better electronics and newer platform, however untested chassis with the usual potential bendy issues has me a bit worried.
What does everyone think? I know the bias is strong in an Arrma forum but would be good to get some ideas?

You have to be a really skilled driver for those kind of scale truck because if you screw up a landing its going to cost you money. The kraton might not need an esc out of the box like the xmaxx does so there is at least 200$ usd saved
Chassi in the kraton will do okay pretty much sure if you take care of the car and not use it like of it is a tennis ball. doesn't hurt upgrading a few parts in it with aftermarket in the future tho

So I have a dilema... I do like the new Kraton however a few things have me questioning if its worth it compared to other options so wanted to put it out to the community for thoughts?

In Australia, the preorder listing is in the $1600 range... I could probably get it for ~$1400 from the US if I tried hard enough. In comparison, an Xmaxx retails for about $1300 and ebay usually have 20% off to get that to around $1100... So thats a $300-$400 difference depending on options.

Also, because Australia, parts I’m sure will be difficult to get at least initially and at reasonable prices so there’s that too. Traxxas and Arrma I assume will be comparative in prices.

By far the most common 1/5 scale is the Xmaxx and they are abundant down under so parts shouldn’t be a problem at all for that. However all I ever hear about the X-maxx is how easily it breaks and I will constantly be buying parts for it... But how common is that really?

There is also a decent 2nd hand market for the X-maxx which is virtually not available for the new Arrma obviously.

So basically is the extra $$$ worth it in either the short or long run for the Kraton, or is there another option? $300 buys a decent chunk of parts and I will be able to get them easily enough in the retail wasteland that is Australia... (Not that online is that hard but still)

A quick list in summary,
  • The Kraton probably has better electronics and newer platform, however untested chassis with the usual potential bendy issues has me a bit worried.
What does everyone think? I know the bias is strong in an Arrma forum but would be good to get some ideas?
The Kraton 8S and the Xmaxx are completely different creatures. Some say the Xmaxx breaks easily, others say it's durable. It all depends on the driver. If you suck at driving you'll break it more. The Kraton should be beefy enough for the average user, I would only worry about bending the chassis if you send it like @RC DUDE81, or again, if you suck at driving and constantly nose or tail land on jumps.

Is the Traxxas ESC really that garbage that I should bank on replacing it immediately?

I did just watch RC Dude81s latest vid and he does really send it. Doesn’t seem to be able to flip it or control it in the air that easily. Aussie RC playground did a good first run and it seems to float really nice.

Aftermarket would be stronger on the Traxxas side right?

Whilst they are technically different trucks they are competing in the same segment for mine and other people’s $$$ so I think the comparison should be discussed.
whats an xmaxx?

Should I refer to it as the Truck that must not be named from now on?

Since you live in Australia and the X is already there, I say go with that one. Plus parts availability is not a issue. The Kraton has only been out a day or so and there's no telling when you will be able to get your hands on one. Then there's the big question mark of parts availability. This is the V1 version of the Kraton and I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out. Already heard of a couple T2T braces bending and a tweaked chassis. They all can break and use upgraded parts.Their isn't any upgraded parts yet for the Kraton but sure the X has many. Upgrading weak parts cost money and you need to think about that and enter it in the equation. For an alternative, check out the Hobao Hyper MT+2, it's a tough 1/7 scale 6s MT for lots less. Good luck with your decision.

Is the Traxxas ESC really that garbage that I should bank on replacing it immediately?

I did just watch RC Dude81s latest vid and he does really send it. Doesn’t seem to be able to flip it or control it in the air that easily. Aussie RC playground did a good first run and it seems to float really nice.

Aftermarket would be stronger on the Traxxas side right?

Whilst they are technically different trucks they are competing in the same segment for mine and other people’s $$$ so I think the comparison should be discussed.

Should I refer to it as the Truck that must not be named from now on?

na man i was just messin around.. im just arrma biased... lol

A quick list in summary,

This debate is not really fair... the Xmaxx is going to be more durable factory to factory. It’s also a simple MT design where you lose the finesse of the Kraton. So.... do you prefer tough over finesse? The Xmaxx needs RPM carriers, hingepins, ESC in my opinion but the Kraton needs one too. The Xmaxx can be had cheaper, but then again it should be as it’s FAR more simple and less engineered. I’d take my Xmaxx to the skate park and not worry, when I get my Kraton it won’t go 200 feet near a skate park. I say get the Xmaxx used or new and later get the Kraton. One won’t replace the other.

X maxx = Dodge Viper

Kraton = 2020 Corvette C8

Eh sorta you get my point :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think the honest truth at the moment is:

Unless you ask Eric rc dude 81 or rich duperbash on here directly or bicketybam (he picked one up tonight so him with respect to a lesser degree) nobody can give you an actual good answer. Neeeearly everything on the forum about the 8s Kraton is conjecture because none of us have it.

So my advice if you're on the fence without a gut feeling or hot desire is to wait until there is community feedback from people who have one. It's literally in no way the same as the 6s Kraton but the name and visuals so even someone who has a 6s Kraton and an xmaxx can't even truly give you a good comparison yet.

Of course all that said, in my opinion get the Kraton 8s ?. But I really hate Traxxas I'll never emotionally recover from what they did to my Nero.

For an alternative, check out the Hobao Hyper MT+2, it's a tough 1/7 scale 6s MT for lots less. Good luck with your decision.

The Hobao Hyper does look like a good truck but I don’t see much availability yet in Aus... I also will just want to call it the Hobo hype...

This debate is not really fair... the Xmaxx is going to be more durable factory to factory. It’s also a simple MT design where you lose the finesse of the Kraton. So.... do you prefer tough over finesse? The Xmaxx needs RPM carriers, hingepins, ESC in my opinion but the Kraton needs one too. The Xmaxx can be had cheaper, but then again it should be as it’s FAR more simple and less engineered. I’d take my Xmaxx to the skate park and not worry, when I get my Kraton it won’t go 200 feet near a skate park. I say get the Xmaxx used or new and later get the Kraton. One won’t replace the other.

X maxx = Dodge Viper

Kraton = 2020 Corvette C8

Eh sorta you get my point :)
It’s funny that my perception of the new Kraton is that it would be tougher than the X-maxx mainly because of the marketing and “newness” of it but I can see that may not necessarily be the case at the moment.

Of course all that said, in my opinion get the Kraton 8s ?. But I really hate Traxxas I'll never emotionally recover from what they did to my Nero.
The ethical dilemma is something that I don’t particularly want to weigh in on... I don’t like the litigious nature of Traxxas but I guess they are trying to protect their own... I do like Arrmas approach to RC and so far the BRCC has been just awesome but anytime there are issues its basically a dead weight for a few weeks until parts come in from the US...

As much as I don’t want to say it on an Arrma forum but I am leaning towards the X-maxx with a hope that the price drops enough on the Kraton next year or we see an 8s Outcast that can be added to my collection if it becomes more available down under. God I wish I was living in the states so I could just have one already! It’s a much easier discussion then...

A quick list in summary,
Do you like truggies or MT better? I honestly like MT a bit better, but that is my preference. I went with the xmaxx 8s because who knows when they will come out with an Outcast 8s 1/5. I already have the Outcast 6s and love it, but wanted something a bit bigger. Truggies are more fun in multiple surfaces like pavement etc and MT don't do too well in that environment. If I were you, I would go with the xmaxx 8s for now. But remember that it's a bit harder to work on it too (like taking out the center diff). Yeah there are horror stories still for the stock ESC on the stock xmaxx 8s, so I'm changing mine out of a max 6 esc just in case. It's kind of a hard choice for you TBH. But go for the xmaxx because of parts availability?

Do you like truggies or MT better? I honestly like MT a bit better, but that is my preference. I went with the xmaxx 8s because who knows when they will come out with an Outcast 8s 1/5. I already have the Outcast 6s and love it, but wanted something a bit bigger. Truggies are more fun in multiple surfaces like pavement etc and MT don't do too well in that environment. If I were you, I would go with the xmaxx 8s for now. But remember that it's a bit harder to work on it too (like taking out the center diff). Yeah there are horror stories still for the stock ESC on the stock xmaxx 8s, so I'm changing mine out of a max 6 esc just in case. It's kind of a hard choice for you TBH. But go for the xmaxx because of parts availability?

Im pretty easy going when it comes to style... If you put a gun to my head and say choose it would be an MT but I would still be happy with a Truggy. I picked the BRCC over the granite and widened it so yeah...

I do love the look of the 6s Outcast so may just hold out and hope for an 8s next year...

I would like to see the Kraton in person but there is a little chance of that locally. Might need to take a trip south of the border and visit Aussie RC playground for that... :p

Im pretty easy going when it comes to style... If you put a gun to my head and say choose it would be an MT but I would still be happy with a Truggy. I picked the BRCC over the granite and widened it so yeah...

I do love the look of the 6s Outcast so may just hold out and hope for an 8s next year...

I would like to see the Kraton in person but there is a little chance of that locally. Might need to take a trip south of the border and visit Aussie RC playground for that... :p
I've had so much fun with my 6s Outcast doing standing backflips, endless wheelies and some high air jumps. Yeah, just wait for an 8s 1/5 Outcast then. Good luck with your decision!

I've had so much fun with my 6s Outcast doing standing backflips, endless wheelies and some high air jumps. Yeah, just wait for an 8s 1/5 Outcast then. Good luck with your decision!
I really wish they did the Infraction/Limitless thing again and had a double launch with similar components that are setup differently. I think an 8s outcast would need to be too different to be strong enough to survive.

Maybe the Mojave platform with the 8s Kraton running gear and Electronics and an outcast shell? That would be a trickier comparison.

I am impressed with the great discussion and not just being flooded with “get the Kraton 8s” comments... Its a credit to the community and forums...

Out of curiosity, even though the chance it's slim, do you live anywhere near Vas from Aussie rc playground? If so you could always try to get on touch with him since he is basically an Arrma ambassador and see if he would help you evaluate a k8s in person.

Im not the person who thinks everyone in Australia lives by each other and knows each other but I'm just spitballing a low probability option.

I really wish they did the Infraction/Limitless thing again and had a double launch with similar components that are setup differently. I think an 8s outcast would need to be too different to be strong enough to survive.

Maybe the Mojave platform with the 8s Kraton running gear and Electronics and an outcast shell? That would be a trickier comparison.

I am impressed with the great discussion and not just being flooded with “get the Kraton 8s” comments... Its a credit to the community and forums...
Well I don't even own it, so I can't recommend it to begin with. And it's not a MT ?. Heck, I'm barely recommending the xmaxx 8s, but that's because of what you mentioned ad where you live. It's a good time to be alive right now and enjoy all these amazing RC vehicles. So many choices!

Buy both you’ll have to put like $500 into each of em anyway. (Kinda)

As for the xmaxx esc, no it’s not really that bad. The first batch of vxl 8s escs were kinda awful, but they’ve smoothed out since then (through my research, not my personal experience I’ll add)

What I can say is the old vxl 6s esc that came in the v1 xmaxxes left a bad taste of xmaxx escs in their mouth. That was a fireball in disguise. The new one ain’t so bad.

The kraton shouldn’t have any electrical issues.

What I do want to see is a side by side drop test, xmaxx and kraton, both landing a nose dive, then after swapping a kraton chassis, try a rear-downward dive and see who comes out on top. After such YouTube video is published, make your decision. It’s really too early to say how durable a kraton 8s is compared to an xmaxx. Yeah the chassis bent for people but maybe it was a bad run of aluminum.

Back