Advice-After sales Maintenance cost Xmaxx vs Outcast 8s v2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Xmaxx? Nah..K8S maybe, I don't see the Xmaxx (my) overheating a Max6 combo though.
It's all relative though for sure, if I tried a Castle MMX 8s or TP combo in an Xmaxx, it'd be "gone in sixty seconds" for sure.. no way that drivetrain is holding up to that power WITH traction,LOL.
When I had a max6 in my Xmaxx it definitely got toasty. The max5 gives me more punch and way cooler temps vs the max6. Maybe the g2 is better?

I ran both with stock motors as well. Personally I would not recommend a max6 for an Xmaxx but a lot depends how and where you drive.

I have a max 6 in my X maxx with the stock motor, no issues. 46/20 gearing. I like the setup, I didn't want this to be a big speed truck as it's high center. The Xmaxx is a very expensive truck, lots of plastic. BUT what you pay upfront for the high cost, the replacement parts are very reasonable. A bit of a tradeoff. As you can see from the many replies, lots of folks on here have both. Buy whatever rig appeals most to you now, once your over it, or the luster fades away, buy another, then another! Join the rest of us o_O

The xmaxx was my first 1/5 RC. They're easy to work on and I had limited problems. The esc went and then I swapped to a max 6. I like the fact that the Traxxas parts are relatively cheap.

Solid RC. Tons of fun!

When I had a max6 in my Xmaxx it definitely got toasty. The max5 gives me more punch and way cooler temps vs the max6. Maybe the g2 is better?

I ran both with stock motors as well. Personally I would not recommend a max6 for an Xmaxx but a lot depends how and where you drive.
How/where used I guess. Max6 has never been over 120 for me. I'll happily accept my "slow guy" award, LOL. 🍻

How/where used I guess. Max6 has never been over 120 for me. I'll happily accept my "slow guy" award,
I wish a max6 would have worked for my application. It definitely fits better in the truck and doesn’t require any after market mounts. I could have saved some coin to use it on other things.

Hope you had a good Christmas a Happy New Year 👊

If the XRT or XMaxx break down you can carry it back to the car because of the "handle" in the rear. The K8 is a totally different story. No nice way to hold it with one hand. Spoiler so close it squashes fingers. It's already really stupid to carry with one hand up the stairs from the cellar. Don't know why designers did not think of that. I always have a short rope with me when driving with K8 so I can tie it around the front suspension arms around the bulkhead and pull it back (front lifted) in case something breaks down.

I wish a max6 would have worked for my application. It definitely fits better in the truck and doesn’t require any after market mounts. I could have saved some coin to use it on other things.

Hope you had a good Christmas a Happy New Year 👊
Thanks bro!! Happy New Year to you too!😁

If the XRT or XMaxx break down you can carry it back to the car because of the "handle" in the rear. The K8 is a totally different story. No nice way to hold it with one hand. Spoiler so close it squashes fingers. It's already really stupid to carry with one hand up the stairs from the cellar. Don't know why designers did not think of that. I always have a short rope with me when driving with K8 so I can tie it around the front suspension arms around the bulkhead and pull it back (front lifted) in case something breaks down.
I always bring a dog leash with me. Both the K8 and O8 are flipping heavy. Even if they didn't break, I still towed them with the leash to my truck. There was one time when I carried the O8 around 100 yards; the next day, my back hurt so much, lol. Since then, I don't care if it can roll or not, I'm gonna drag you, boy. Haha.
Have asked this at other post as well and posting it here as well to get maximum reach and replies which might help make me decision

@Moirae
@cazrack
@KnowAir
@harith7oe
@Matt05
@BIG TUNA
@SrC
@LibertyMKiii
@RC-Dude

I am little confused and need help from you guys
6s
Arrma kraton New v2 exb
Outcast 6S exb
kraton 8s v2

NOTORIOUS 6S

8S
Outcast v2 exb
Kraton 8s v2 exb
Xmaxx

If had to pick one assuming you never had any of the mentioned above which one will you pick
I'll choose Outcast 8s any day, no doubt!
haha yea this always baffles me but it really does boil down to what type of gearing you're happy with. I didn't even like the max 6 in my kraton 6s because it overheated. That thought alone made me do a double take whenever someone recommended it for an even bigger rig. I'd be much more comfortable with the new max 6 g2 in that position though. I mean it's basically the old max 5.

Btw, my 12s XRT has not had a single drivetrain problem so far. Literally not a single one and i don't even remember if I shimmed the diffs and it's on stock weights still. My 12s kraton also not a single drivetrain problem either tho tbh. :cool:
Man, I told myself no more bashing trucks this year. I wanna get into 1/10 on-road racing, but you're really making me want to go and get myself an XRT. LOL.

But when it comes to the drivetrain, I think both Traxxas and Arrma's stock drivetrains are more than okay. It depends on how you drive it, the way you tune it, and a bit of luck. On my O8, I only broke the diff internals once, and that was because I went crazy doing standing backflips. The only issue I kept facing was the snapping of the CVD pins, but that's no more after I properly set the droop (using the fuel tube hack).

I always bring a dog leash with me. Both the K8 and O8 are flipping heavy. Even if they didn't break, I still towed them with the leash to my truck. There was one time when I carried the O8 around 100 yards; the next day, my back hurt so much, lol. Since then, I don't care if it can roll or not, I'm gonna drag you, boy. Haha.

I'll choose Outcast 8s any day, no doubt!

Man, I told myself no more bashing trucks this year. I wanna get into 1/10 on-road racing, but you're really making me want to go and get myself an XRT. LOL.

But when it comes to the drivetrain, I think both Traxxas and Arrma's stock drivetrains are more than okay. It depends on how you drive it, the way you tune it, and a bit of luck. On my O8, I only broke the diff internals once, and that was because I went crazy doing standing backflips. The only issue I kept facing was the snapping of the CVD pins, but that's no more after I properly set the droop (using the fuel tube hack).

I'm sorry to do it to you bro but I had to! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well I will say something for the 1/5 and 1/6, they are bigger, they are more money, they run better in grass and snow, there is more excitement if they go fast like a 1/8 scale. Nothing wrong with small RC's 1/10 but I only like small RC's where they can run good and handle good.

After driving big RC's outside the smallest thing I am intrested in is the new Kraton 6s exb rtr.
Fireteam 1/7 is fun so the new big rock 6s 1/7 is probably also but the new Kraton exb rtr is the better buy.

X-Maxx if you want to do big jumps, smaller jumps XRT handles better.
Otherwise Kraton/Outcast exb rtr will drive better and handle future upgrades better.
Agree with this. After owning a 1/5 or two over time and I do have have an X Maxx now, I have been spoiled by their size. They can run literally anywhere where these is enough room. Rough or uneven grounds, uncut grass or snow, etc is not as big an issue with these big rc. I do most my driving in subdivision construction areas so the ground is anything but smooth.

On the note of original post I can’t speak for the Arrma Outcast V2 8S but it does look to be a phenomenal truck with many nice updates. I can say besides replacing the pinion and spur on my Xmaxx I really haven’t had to do much for maintenance on it other then a set of tires blew out on it originally, but have been good since replacement. Parts are also cheap for the Xmaxx. Also I like the weight of it. Sometimes lugging around heavy 1/5 or 1/6 cars is not ideal or practical.

Ultimately out of the list you posted I’d go with the new Kraton 1/8 exb 6S. I just bought one and it’s solid redefined masterpiece It’s not perfect but pretty dang closethey Have spend many years improving this truck and it’s just a beast now. It looks good and from what I have seen it bashes just as good as it looks. I am excited to take mine out come spring time!

Last edited:
I took the XRT out for a spin yesterday evening, and it reminded me of just how good it is. It’s not as violent and raw as the K8, but it makes up for it in handling and ease of use. I actually lawn-darted it onto pavement at speed, from about 15’, after a poorly attempted front flip, and it took it like a champ. It definitely has a place in my collection.

The K8 sucks to carry, that’s a fact, but I don’t mind it nearly as much since I had my DBXL-E break and had to carry it back to the car. That thing is awful to carry around.

I made this for my 6S Notorious ... a beefier version could be made to fit the 8S wingmount.

1704372404634.png

1704372330069.png

All the rigs mentioned are great, each with it's own attributes. If you know you're going to have to carry it any significant amount, lighter will Shirley be better, LOL.
As to Arrma vs TRX, both have earned their places for me. Why have just one?😉
This is what happens when you only have one..

contentItem-4157288-26842889-ldn9qnxcd8q99-or.png

Thankyou everyone for suggestions and advice

@Moirae
@cazrack
@KnowAir
@harith7oe
@Matt05
@BIG TUNA
@SrC
@LibertyMKiii
@RC-Dude

Having gone thru all of them

I think I would either go for Outcast 8s exb or a Kraton 6s exb whichever is available with my LHS.

I would omit Xmaxx and K8s for now.

I would still welcome suggestion as my LHS doesn't have in stock...the ones which I have decided and it's actually the opposites that they do have Xmaxx and K8s right now available with them.

Each car has its’ own area where it’s made for (onroad, offroad, jumping, track, scale driving etc.). So it’s all depending on the driving style you want and the terrain you will be driving on. If you don’t know there is only ONE (jack of all trades): Kraton 6s.

Last edited:
Each car has its’ own area where it’s made for (onroad, offroad, jumping, track, scale driving etc.). So it’s all depending on the driving style you want and the terrain you will be driving on. If you don’t know there is only ONE (jack of all trades): Kraton 6s.
Agreed. The 8s rigs need plenty of room to strut their stuff. K6 is much easier to own and enjoy. Goes most anywhere too. One day I hope to own one each of all the rigs we've discussed. Have 3 of the 5 so far..😁

Wish you all the luck and Rchappiness
Thanks! You as well!👍
So your LHS only has K8S or Xmaxx available currently? Will they order one of your choice for you? What country are you located in? I do think buying from an LHS is a good thing(support local biz), but honestly, I haven't bought from an LHS in over 10 years myself. Just too easy (and generally cheaper) to order online and have stuff delivered to my front door.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back