Notorious Notorious… slow Velo build (a comedy of errors)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the old arm pins with new ones, lightened the oil to 900cst, cleaned everything real good then treated with dry silicon spray. Squeaks are gone and suspension response more active as I’d hoped it would be. Now back to working on the new Kraton.

Thanks!! Tekno balls? What do you mean?
TKR 5049A
Iirc the flanged ones won't work as they won't fit inside the arm. Pic is off of my noto. With nero hd ends/perch. Held up to some serious abuse.👍
20220508_052339.jpg

TKR 5049A
Iirc the flanged ones won't work as they won't fit inside the arm. Pic is off of my noto. With nero hd ends/perch. Held up to some serious abuse.👍View attachment 216252
Thank you! I’ve been looking for a better replacement for those balls. Much appreciated! I’ve heard a lot about the Nero had Ends/perch. I’ll be getting some of those. Thing is, the ones I have saved in my basket at Amain don’t look quite like that so I’m a bit confused. Where did you get those from? Do you have a part number handy?

AR330409 Nero/fazon rod ends.

Arrma's HD rod ends and cup set is a different part no: ARA330608.

I'm not 100% but I think the latter is what go on the exb line. If they are I can tell you that the Nero rod end/ Tekno ball set up has the beef factor over my exb's. 👍

AR330409 Nero/fazon rod ends.

Arrma's HD rod ends and cup set is a different part no: ARA330608.

I'm not 100% but I think the latter is what go on the exb line. If they are I can tell you that the Nero rod end/ Tekno ball set up has the beef factor over my exb's. 👍
Thanks!!

Does she sound right? Seems different from arrma 6s cars I hear on YouTube. Has this cycling noise at times that reminds me of a star wars speeder. Seems most noticeable when coasting after hard acceleration.

Does she sound right? Seems different from arrma 6s cars I hear on YouTube. Has this cycling noise at times that reminds me of a star wars speeder. Seems most noticeable when coasting after hard acceleration.
Idk man, don't sound any different than mine.

I forget, do you have the safe-D pinion? Alot of guys say that makes more noise than without. There was a terrible sound about halfway through your video but I assumed it was body rub or hitting those little rocks since it didn't happen again.

Idk man, don't sound any different than mine.

I forget, do you have the safe-D pinion? Alot of guys say that makes more noise than without. There was a terrible sound about halfway through your video but I assumed it was body rub or hitting those little rocks since it didn't happen again.
Thanks man. Yeah I noticed the tires hit the body while jumping when I turn the wheel. I’ve just nothing to compare it to having never heard a 6s car live. I’ll have the Kraton up and running in a day or so and then I can compare. I’m using a new stock pinion but think I left the pita c-clip off.

Man this car drives fantastic! I’m enjoying it on 4S right now while getting used to it. Does click when I hit the brakes so I’m going to open up the front differential and possibly shim it. I believe I only have one shim on it right now.

My stepdaughter had an appointment at a doctor just around the corner from the skate park. Since it’s a 45 minute drive out there we decided to make the best of things and stopped by the skate park for half an hour after the appointment.

It’s still clicking a little bit but doesn’t sound the same as before or as bad, so I’m going look at the rear differential and add one more shim. If that doesn’t help then I’m going to figure it is worn input/ring gear possibly or I need to shim the input closer to the ring.

I didn’t film this one but I at one point launched it off the quarter pipe a bit too hard, 15-18 feet up. Unfortunately I went off a bit sideways and landed on the concrete, rubberside down thankfully. It took the hit but actually bent the fan mount that infidel had made for me. I think I’ll just leave it as its now blowing air at an angle across the can.

Yes, I suck at filming because I don’t do it enough and I suck at jumping… because I don’t do it enough, but I’ll get better. Maybe 🙃

40ECE07F-43DD-4EC0-B499-82EE25AC6E7D.jpeg

ACA4A7D7-C266-4063-A9C3-A8A42F177B12.jpeg

My stepdaughter had an appointment at a doctor just around the corner from the skate park. Since it’s a 45 minute drive out there we decided to make the best of things and stopped by the skate park for half an hour after the appointment.

It’s still clicking a little bit but doesn’t sound the same as before or as bad, so I’m going look at the rear differential and add one more shim. If that doesn’t help then I’m going to figure it is worn input/ring gear possibly or I need to shim the input closer to the ring.

I didn’t film this one but I at one point launched it off the quarter pipe a bit too hard, 15-18 feet up. Unfortunately I went off a bit sideways and landed on the concrete, rubberside down thankfully. It took the hit but actually bent the fan mount that infidel had made for me. I think I’ll just leave it as its now blowing air at an angle across the can.

Yes, I suck at filming because I don’t do it enough and I suck at jumping… because I don’t do it enough, but I’ll get better. Maybe 🙃

View attachment 218471

View attachment 218472

Eh still getting air to it and you can always take channel locks to it while you're tearing diffs out to get them sorted. Sweet fan 🤘

Shame about the diffs man..hope you get em fixed soon.

Where's the video?? Let's see her in action! We all suck at jumping till we crash enough to "get gooder" 😂 pulling off big jumps without breakages is an aquired skill just like anything else in this hobby. 👍

Edit: Looking good to me! If you're gonna start pulling off tricks and flips in the air I'd seriously consider upping your punch once your diffs are sorted. It will make a world of difference getting the mid air rotation you're looking for. Your gearing is the same as mine you'll nail those whiffed backflips with more punch on tap.

I've run max punch since almost right out of the gate with zero diff or heat issues and your fan is way better than mine. Almost 2 months of running 4-10 packs a week so far. But I don't try to do standing backflips with it and I go easy on the throttle on the ground. Just my two cents fwiw. That skate park is awesome! My quarter pipes both have a pole right in the way 😂

Last edited:
Eh still getting air to it and you can always take channel locks to it while you're tearing diffs out to get them sorted. Sweet fan 🤘

Shame about the diffs man..hope you get em fixed soon.

Where's the video?? Let's see her in action! We all suck at jumping till we crash enough to "get gooder" 😂 pulling off big jumps without breakages is an aquired skill just like anything else in this hobby. 👍
Videos there I just had to quickly make it public. Can you see it?

Yeah I see it now edited my post too 👍 sweet bash spot
Its a cute and safe little skate park next to a school, ymca and park in a small town bout 45 min back roads drive. There are almost always younger kids there so I’m comfy with Belle running around. The older skaters must give way to the kids so there’s no thug types. It’s perfect since I near always have my step daughter with me.

Next I want to get it to the bmx pump track by myself during the work week so I can practice. I’ll try 6s also. After I fix it of course.

Its a cute and safe little skate park next to a school, ymca and park in a small town bout 45 min back roads drive. There are almost always younger kids there so I’m comfy with Belle running around. The older skaters must give way to the kids so there’s no thug types. It’s perfect since I near always have my step daughter with me.

Next I want to get it to the bmx pump track by myself during the work week so I can practice. I’ll try 6s also. After I fix it of course.

That was on 4s?? 😳 Wow that's awesome! I've only ran 4s in mine once that was the day I took my son to drive with my uncle and the Granite died early. I only raced his Maxx on 4s didn't attempt any jumps. That's really cool that you can pull off a backflip on 4s. Doing jumps on 6s will be a whole different ballgame if you've only ran 4. 🤘

That was on 4s?? 😳 Wow that's awesome! I've only ran 4s in mine once that was the day I took my son to drive with my uncle and the Granite died early. I only raced his Maxx on 4s didn't attempt any jumps. That's really cool that you can pull off a backflip on 4s. Doing jumps on 6s will be a whole different ballgame if you've only ran 4. 🤘
Yeah just a 6200/80c hoovoo. I also had to take it easy cause all the kids. But at the pump track during the week I can open her up. I ran 6s once right after building it then decided to wait and just run 4s while adjusting. This is way different from 3s lol.

Okay. I finished the mini-infraction, finished the Kraton, finished the voltage Redneck Truck revival and all my others cars work great except this thing. I cannot longer procrastinate, so I started disassembly this morning. I’ve learned all I can on these old differentials not including taking apart the differential itself, I’ll do that once they’re out.

I have three new complete stock open diffs from jennys. Front, rear and center. I’ve got shimming the differentials inside the case down. What I don’t fully understand is shimming the input gear. I’m not sure how to tell if it needs to be shimmed or if it even needs to be done right off the bat. I have watched some videos but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks y’all!

BE81055A-BEF9-49B1-88B2-9A2EE3A8CDF6.jpeg

When you hold it, does the input make and audible click clack against the ring gear teeth? If so that's too much play imo. Unlike the spur to pinion which I allow a little click clacking, I like the input and ring as close as I can get without binding. Usually you can get there just by shimming the ring gear, but if it's still loose shimming the input becomes necessary.

You you want the entire surface area of the teeth to line up together too. If the input falls short of covering the entire ring then shimming is needed

When you hold it, does the input make and audible click clack against the ring gear teeth? If so that's too much play imo. Unlike the spur to pinion which I allow a little click clacking, I like the input and ring as close as I can get without binding. Usually you can get there just by shimming the ring gear, but if it's still loose shimming the input becomes necessary.

You you want the entire surface area of the teeth to line up together too. If the input falls short of covering the entire ring then shimming is needed
OK that makes sense and I’ll check for any play at the input and ring after shining the ring gear. I also make sure that they lineup properly with full coverage.

When shimming the input gear, if needed, the shim should not go between the bearing and the input gear, but on the other side of that bearing? I remember hearing that you shouldn’t shim next to the gear itself?
Thanks man, greatly appreciated as always.

I do not like the bushings on the Acreman bar. I found tiny flanged bearings that fit perfect. Now I just need something to fill in the gap. Time to go to the garage and start looking thru stuff.

7878F835-2FCB-4CEF-8109-FB7500234531.jpeg

905A29F8-706F-477D-9EDF-97BA68B751BA.jpeg

8CE260F0-9DC7-459C-AB5D-25A8FF709813.jpeg

EED40519-DF52-4200-B747-5738C6EF0F7B.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back