Notorious Notorious… slow Velo build (a comedy of errors)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was funny. When I put the car down and slightly hit the trigger the wheels turned but the car didn’t go anywhere. I did a Scooby Doo ‘Ruh Roh’ and after the confusion passed, realized what was going on. The ass end was going backwards and the front end was going forward 😑

I did not assemble these differentials. I’m running them like I got them. Why would the rear diff run backwards? Is it a simple issue of flipping something somewhere? I know I gotta take it apart again but meanwhile humor me… why is this happening? Is it the rear diff or the center diff causing this? I simply can’t wrap my head around it right now. Help…

Sure looks nice at least.

C368A129-66FF-4DBF-AAB2-8F6F4A40726D.jpeg

6D1E0304-9C48-4A5A-AA84-688EE4ED334A.jpeg

6CB89117-222D-48C1-8E5A-48BE201A689E.jpeg

One of the diffs is backwards in the housing?
Yup! I reversed it and all seems good now from a quick test run. I’ll run a pack through it tomorrow and see what’s next lol.

She only lasted four minutes before the rear differential begin to skip but damn… she looked good during that four minutes 😂

I’m going to put a new rear differential in tomorrow and then start teaching myself how to rebuild diffs on the old one.

6522ED44-4D69-420C-B9F9-300675E8425B.jpeg

CFBC0345-10F7-4CF5-BDA8-5E89E8696C42.jpeg

DB682C57-EBE5-449F-81EE-C932255CCC90.jpeg

Hot Racing.
Those look good. Do you run front and back? Is it like the 3S line where it’s more important to have one on the rear?

Aside from the cost I don’t want to add more weight that I need to. My wife was actually going to get me one for my b-day but I told her not to and just get me another stock differential from jennys.
The car only lasted four minutes yesterday. Kinda reminded me of my first time getting laid. Short sweet and I fell in love 😂

Seriously though, the rear differential is the issue. The input gear and differential are not meshing well. The first couple of minutes it sounded perfect and I cannot believe how fun it was to drive. Then it started skipping and during the last minute was grinding with each trigger pull.

I worked on it last night and shimedthe ring side hoping to pull the mash together. But it was still skipping just turning the wheels by hand. Is there a way to set up the input gear so that it’s closer in? I could just throw in the new differential that I have…but I’d rather try to fix this one. There is play when I pull/push on the input gear cup and I’m thinking that is the issue?

I need to watch some videos on this later so please let me know if anybody has any preferred ones that would help me understand this. Thanks guys for all your help so far!! Aside from the rear differential the car is absolutely amazing. I cannot believe how nice it felt to drive that first couple minutes and I absolutely love the sound of metal on metal gears.

Last edited:
Those look good. Do you run front and back? Is it like the 3S line where it’s more important to have one on the rear?

Aside from the cost I don’t want to add more weight that I need to. My wife was actually going to get me one for my b-day but I told her not to and just get me another stock differential from jennys.
The car only lasted four minutes yesterday. Kinda reminded me of my first time getting laid. Short sweet and I fell in love 😂

Seriously though, the rear differential is the issue. The input gear and differential are not meshing well. The first couple of minutes it sounded perfect and I cannot believe how fun it was to drive. Then it started skipping and during the last minute was grinding with each trigger pull.

I worked on it last night and shimedthe ring side hoping to pull the mash together. But it was still skipping just turning the wheels by hand. Is there a way to set up the input gear so that it’s closer in? I could just throw in the new differential that I have…but I’d rather try to fix this one. There is play when I pull/push on the input gear cup and I’m thinking that is the issue?

I need to watch some videos on this later so please let me know if anybody has any preferred ones that would help me understand this. Thanks guys for all your help so far!! Aside from the rear differential the car is absolutely amazing. I cannot believe how nice it felt to drive that first couple minutes and I absolutely love the sound of metal on metal gears.
I find rear most important if you only have 1 aluminum cover, but I do both front and rear.

Yes you need to shim the input gear to get a proper mesh that way as well as left-right. Best way to work on that is from the bottom of the housing with it all assembled but off the truck.

My wife made silver headlights and the Arma logo for my notorious. One curious thing she said is that while making it, she realized that it’s not a backwards R and forwards R like I always said it was. The first one actually represents an A. She sees thing different than I do. She is correct though, they are not mirror images of a R like I always thought.

Anyway, It seems too big. The Logo needs to be smaller or framed somehow? She said she could put a grill section around it. But wouldn’t I have to do the entire front section grilled? Or would it look better not having any logo at all? I could always just do smaller silver circles as secondary headlights between the main ones or just leave it with two headlights.

🤔 What say you?

CC3D36AB-AA1E-4531-998B-01E4F89920F1.jpeg

EEA2812A-C71F-4D15-8279-08CD06665E0D.jpeg

8C044FB8-7E26-49A4-A8D1-B0FCB24D6F98.jpeg

Stock body doesn’t have headlights. I would think about rectangular ones on either side of the middle section that has the logo on it.

View attachment 212901
That’s a good idea. I’m not trying to recreate the stock look but I may try that. I really like the round headlights so am trying to tweak it some. Just need fine tuning ideas. Think I’ll make the logo a good bit smaller and try it with all the headlights. Or maybe I’ll just put one of my small compasses in the center…
I do need to paint the rectangular lights on the bottom spoiler silver though. I like the way they look on the stock body, not the one that says tow, the other one that looks like a light lol

That’s a good idea. I’m not trying to recreate the stock look but I may try that. I really like the round headlights so am trying to tweak it some. Just need fine tuning ideas. Think I’ll make the logo a good bit smaller and try it with all the headlights. Or maybe I’ll just put one of my small compasses in the center…
I do need to paint the rectangular lights on the bottom spoiler silver though. I like the way they look on the stock body, not the one that says tow, the other one that looks like a light lol
I think a horizontal grill over the entire front would be badass! The round lights are killer imo.

Could you put the arrma logo on like a hood ornament?

I think a horizontal grill over the entire front would be badass! The round lights are killer imo.

Could you put the arrma logo on like a hood ornament?
Hey! I like that idea! A small logo hood ornament…yeah. Ok, I was thinking about a grill also but may be a bit difficult. I’ll ask my wife on that. Thanks man!!

Weird idea, sparkly silver nail polish. That or light decals from something else that you can cut or are similar.

Weird idea, sparkly silver nail polish. That or light decals from something else that you can cut or are similar.
That’s a good idea. I had originally thought about painting the lights on. I was thinking I could cut circles hold them an eighth of an inch off and the spray paint would make the light look like it was shining. But I tested it and it didn’t work out like I thought. Sparkly paint though…I like that. I could also take some of the glow-in-the-dark blue powder from my daughters epoxy making equipment and sprinkle it on while the paint is wet. Nice idea man, got me thinking. Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back