Limitless Onyx Rc Power Systems (purchase info and battery sizes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Vendetta
Hey guys.
Wanted to put some Info in one place about the Onyx packs in case there were questions they will most likely be answered here

The Onyx packs are coming into the market and they are working extremely hard to get more cells with the same quality for a better US supply.

Here are the current speed run pack options available with more projects in the works

4s 6500mah pack

4s 8000mah pack

6s 6500mah pack

3s 6500mah pack

3s 8000mah pack

To contact to place the order there are a couple options-

Onyx Rc power systems USA (Facebook page)
https://www.facebook.com/200Mccoy/

Shadow Hobbies
Ask for Bob. +1 (973) 689-6442

Most likely the current shipments coming in are spoken for but they are bringing more in soon enough.
But the best thing to do if interested in them is contact one of the above options and get quotes on prices.

B382C5F8-8734-4B9B-9EE9-C6ECB0B78318.jpeg

Hey guys.
Wanted to put some Info in one place about the Onyx packs in case there were questions they will most likely be answered here

The Onyx packs are coming into the market and they are working extremely hard to get more cells with the same quality for a better US supply.

Here are the current speed run pack options available with more projects in the works

4s 6500mah pack

4s 8000mah pack

6s 6500mah pack

3s 6500mah pack

3s 8000mah pack

To contact to place the order there are a couple options-

Onyx Rc power systems USA (Facebook page)
https://www.facebook.com/200Mccoy/

Shadow Hobbies
Ask for Bob. +1 (973) 689-6442

Most likely the current shipments coming in are spoken for but they are bringing more in soon enough.
But the best thing to do if interested in them is contact one of the above options and get quotes on prices.

View attachment 241561
Thanks Shawn. I messaged James on FB and he said best to order now for future shipments.

I happened to talk to James last night about it, he said he had 2 of the 6500 4s packs not spoken for and expects the next shipment to come in 3-4 weeks.
Talking with the Michael (owner/creator of Onyx) he said James runs/owns the US distribution line of business. The way he worded things it was clear that the US is the largest consumer of his products.

Hopefully, those magic motors come out soon (y)

Do you know if we are going to be able to order through the Shadow Hobbies website at some point?
You can order thru Shadow Hobbies website now.
Packs are listed now
I happened to talk to James last night about it, he said he had 2 of the 6500 4s packs not spoken for and expects the next shipment to come in 3-4 weeks.
Talking with the Michael (owner/creator of Onyx) he said James runs/owns the US distribution line of business. The way he worded things it was clear that the US is the largest consumer of his products.

Yes James is the main distributor.
Bob at Shadow now has his packs live on his site.
There is another guy in Philly I talk to that also is bringing in a ton of packs directly but they are not advertising their sales network so I think it is more personal and local sales
https://www.shadowhobbies.com/copy-of-onx4s8000-148-1184-wh-8gw-2p-8agw-90-180c.html

https://www.shadowhobbies.com/onyx-6500-148-8gw.html

https://www.shadowhobbies.com/copy-of-onx4s8000-148-1184-wh-8gw-2p-8agw-90-180c-52618259.html

Here’s a few of the links they are going fast tho

Last edited:
Found them indeed:
https://www.shadowhobbies.com/brands/onyx/

Website has a certain crappyness which would make me hesitate to do oversea shipments.
I am mostly interested if & when they will be distributed to the EU.
For that you should contact Michael Walford (owner of onyx) directly.
He is located in Europe and has a large group of folks getting packs there.
Find him on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/michael.walford2

He should be able to help you for sure. He’s been very supportive to me and others I know and is a very nice guy to deal with
Since Shadow hobbies is live I want to point out one thing here.
They are located in Jersey, anyone that know Jersey has crappy taxes so on top of the price of the packs and shipping your going to be paying Jersey sales tax. Expect 40+ dollars to be added to your order
When dealing with James directly the price he gives is all in shipping tax included so you will save a little working with James

Anyone who was looking/waiting for packs to come back in stock.
Shadow Hobbies just got a huge shipment in today,
Look for their quantity to be updated soon for online orders, or you can call them directly.
A34FF95A-C298-439C-AA2F-BEEB808E3091.jpeg

What's all the hype over Onyx?
Did I miss something?
:rolleyes:

Did I miss something?
It would appear so. They're the batteries that James, Shawn, Raz and many other speed runners have been running for the past months. They're the first challenge to the monopoly SRDs have held on the high end performance side of the battery market. We're getting more options now. The battery "war" has entered a new phase :)

Did I miss something?
Yea man, they are really solid packs, priced to match similar to the smc packs,
The company is working on new variations/options and experimenting with different cells, I’m testing some HV speedrun packs currently. Next season should be really cool with new batteries coming.

Smc are still great packs, and the “war” is mostly just for sales. Their packs are from different factories but these companies won’t settle for subpar batteries. It’s nice to have multiple companies to supply great batteries, which means the future will be even better pushing for better and better products.
I believe both of the owners talk on good speaking terms as well,

Did I miss something?
At this summer's Rossa Event most people who tried them instantly picked up 10 mph (ballpark) on their setups.

Thanks for the update @vwturbowolf
I'll be ordering soon!

Yea man, they are really solid packs, priced to match similar to the smc packs,
The company is working on new variations/options and experimenting with different cells, I’m testing some HV speedrun packs currently. Next season should be really cool with new batteries coming.

Smc are still great packs, and the “war” is mostly just for sales. Their packs are from different factories but these companies won’t settle for subpar batteries. It’s nice to have multiple companies to supply great batteries, which means the future will be even better pushing for better and better products.
I believe both of the owners talk on good speaking terms as well,
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that there was any animosity when using the term "war".

Now that you mention using HV packs, it got me wondering about their use with XLX2s. They're listed with a 33.6V max. Do you think it's safe to run 8S on HV packs with an XLX2?

Someone say custom wound TP’s

Aside from slightly higher KV, do you have any insight on what the difference to the CM is?
From my observations only, the windings/wire count are improved for higher power handling.
I think the rest is the same as the CM.

@vwturbowolf I know you have some CM and SVM motors. Does that sound right?

From my observations only, the windings/wire count are improved for higher power handling.
I think the rest is the same as the CM.

@vwturbowolf I know you have some CM and SVM motors. Does that sound right?
I was just talking to a fellow runner about what I’ve seen for comparisons between the cm and svm,
It’s definitely too early as I didn’t get enough runs on the 4070svm before my 4080svm came.
I also haven’t run a 4080cm so I don’t have a baseline to start from for comparison. I will say,for the gearing I’ve selected the last two sessions I have been very happy with the results, incredible power output with the 4080svm.
Tbh at the end of the day most users will get the same results with either choice, you literally can’t go wrong with either, I’ve done 170+ with both and they are capable of more,
I’m still progressing with other things to get higher speeds

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back