Portable RC Ramp ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramp Update:
After I got comfortable with hitting the ramp at higher speeds, the coroplast and the 1/4" plywood wasn't able to hold up in the curved section of the ramp.
At 3s speeds, the truck would sometimes bottom out at the trailing edge and this was tearing into and ripping out sections of coroplast. One of the 5 curved joists also broke from the impact at higher speeds.
So I had some 1/4" and 1/2" Acrylic scraps that were gifted to me and decided to try re-making the curved section out of Plexi. This build brought back memories of Jim Henson's' Fraggle Rock and the Doozer constructions and rc cars they would drive around on clear acrylic models! If ya don't know what I'm talking about, you should definitely check out some old videos of it online.
I kept the lower half of the ramp as is with coroplast and plywood since it has been holding up ok so far. The overall weight doubled (now ~10lbs), but so did the strength and durability. The surface is a .06" thick sheet of PET and is attached to the frame with VHB double sided clear tape.
I've hit it pretty hard a few times now and it's Holding up very well. The surface is getting scraped up, but that's fine with me, I'm expecting that it will not be so transparent after some spirited bashing.

IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG

That is AWESOME. I love it, and I'm jealous. I need to give myself something to try jumping off of, but it'll be super-basic, at least to start. That's to bad the coroplast didn't hold up. Great work, and thanks for sharing the pictures! It would be fun to see an action-video, too, if you wanted.

I had drafted something similar.

The idea on this one was that you could finely tune the curvature of the ramp with 2+ pivot legs.
I was thinking just some simple dowl pins but you could do these several ways. Once you pull the dowels the whole thing would lay flat or could be modular depending how you build it.
adjustable ramp.JPG

That is AWESOME. I love it, and I'm jealous. I need to give myself something to try jumping off of, but it'll be super-basic, at least to start. That's to bad the coroplast didn't hold up. Great work, and thanks for sharing the pictures! It would be fun to see an action-video, too, if you wanted.
Had some nice weather today and there was another person at the park with a Traxxas Maxx, so we both hit the ramp hard and she held up no problem. Here's the video you requested!

I had drafted something similar.

The idea on this one was that you could finely tune the curvature of the ramp with 2+ pivot legs.
I was thinking just some simple dowl pins but you could do these several ways. Once you pull the dowels the whole thing would lay flat or could be modular depending how you build it.
View attachment 280741

That's a cool idea. I think you'd at least need a support pillar at the very top of the ramp, or the portion beyond the last pillar will likely flex as you go over it.

And maybe it would be worth having the ability to tie the pillars together, to reduce the ability of the actual ramp to flex, under a load. Like, if the ramp was made of rubber (just to exaggerate), as you drove up, the ramp might want to sink down (between the first pivot at the base, and the first support pillar). And both support pillars could swing forwards (towards the first pivot at the base). But if you had a slotted arm that started at the first base pivot, and tightened it to the support pillars, like @sissylettice did, you could reduce that flexing, by making those pillars stay still.

Had some nice weather today and there was another person at the park with a Traxxas Maxx, so we both hit the ramp hard and she held up no problem. Here's the video you requested!

Wow, it looks like it did great!! That is really nice, have fun with it!

Last edited:
Very cool!!!

Last edited:
This is unbelievably cool!

For those of us with access to a laser cutter and acrylic… do you have the individual pieces to be cuts and assembly instructions? This could be a huge impact to the community if we could send the parts to our machines and whip one of these together. Awesome work!

Wow, you guys put serious engineering into those ramps!
My son in law is our ramp builder, and they are much more simple, of course typhon 3s is as big as we run, and he is making them out of discarded Coroplast packing materials from his workplace.
Great work guys, you are giving me ideas.

I was also attacked in my younger years. Barely recovered.
I was 39, she was 48...now I'm 60 and we both have the same last name.

Last edited:
This is unbelievably cool!

For those of us with access to a laser cutter and acrylic… do you have the individual pieces to be cuts and assembly instructions? This could be a huge impact to the community if we could send the parts to our machines and whip one of these together. Awesome work!
Were you asking about my portable ramp?
If so, I had to change the material to HDPE. The acrylic was too brittle for 1/8 scale Tekno MT.
Been bashing it consistently now for nearly a year and it's holding up great though
Videos here: https://mcpcore.host/wl/?id=RaHxhH8hCpUlyUbdTa8a6NXaatpq1MHQ
Here's the Fusion project link for part milling:
https://a360.co/3H0xTew
IMG_7336.00_00_38_21.Still003.jpg

IMG_7336.00_00_18_09.Still002.jpg

Back