Project "SCYLLA"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not covering the hole for the body mount as much as it is using the hole for the body mount to attach it.

With this being a custom body, and the amount of modification thats likely to get it to fit, i wasnt worried about stock body mount position.

The past few day i've had to work on it have been concentrated on carbon fibre braces. Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts and opinions on the braces, I ended up going with what was the simplest solution (in my head).

Thanks to @BashingBrian who was very helpful in giving me the technique he uses to make his carbon braces as well as ebay links to where to buy the bits, top man (y)

I bought all the products Brian suggested and began work. I marked the length of carbon i wanted uses some masking tape, and then went about cutting them to length using a Dremel with a cut off bit, i did this outside with a mask on to try to reduce the amount of carbon dust i breathed in.

View attachment 282823

Once i had them all cut, i filed the ends down as flat as i could get them.

View attachment 282824

Then i began making up the thread inserts for each end of the carbon rod. This comprised of a piece of m5 threaded rod stainless, two m5 nuts tightened down on each other, these work both as a stop so the rod doesn't fall inside the carbon tube and so you can remove the m5 rod if desired, and lastly 3x m5 threaded inserts. Should look something like this.

View attachment 282825

With a small grinding(?) head on the dremel i then went about sanding/grinding the inside of each end of the carbon tube, in order to give our adhesive/bonding something to bite into. Once done i cleaned each end out with a cotton bud dipped in 99% alcohol.

View attachment 282826

I decided to grease all the bits that i didn't want stuck together in the hopes it would come apart easier, so i greased the very end of the threaded inserts where the threaded rod would poke through if it were wound in enough, and greased the double nuts as well.

View attachment 282827

I put some masking tape on the carbon tube to protect it from the bonding agents.
At this point you should have something that looks like this.

View attachment 282828

At this stage i mixed up the bonding agent, in this case JB Weld, using a small applicator (a sanded down wooden skewer) i coated the inside of the end of each tube as well as all over the brass coloured threaded inserts, i put the pieces together, wiped any excess off straight away with a tissue and then removed the masking tape while the JB Weld was still wet.

I left it for 24 hours to cure, went about removing all the threaded rods and cleaning up any dried excess JB Weld as necessary. Then i drilled oput the holes on the shock towers to 5mm where needed and assembled it all.

I'm very happy with how it all turned out, and enjoyed the process quite a lot, and am now thinking of adding another four supports :ROFLMAO:

Only thing i am concerned about is where they mount directly to the shock towers there is no plastic there to help with the shock absorption so in a big hit they may just shatter, one way to find out right?

View attachment 282829
Was a pleasure to help out..(y)
I was so shocked when I saw this build, was not expecting a 6 wheeler..!! o_O
Can't wait to see how this turns out..

This just turned up

PXL_20230304_175619143.MP.jpg

So no doubt i will be bugging Tex and all the other 3d printing aficionados with really annoying noob questions in the 3d printing section for the next few weeks or months.

This just turned up

View attachment 282891

So no doubt i will be bugging Tex and all the other 3d printing aficionados with really annoying noob questions in the 3d printing section for the next few weeks or months.
Yes yes, I’m finally having less questions for them😂 I have the ender 3 S1, so very similar. Let me know if you have machine specific questions, or about setup! It’s a fantastic machine.

Honestly i don't know yet, im gonna start a thread in the 3d printing sub section and ask for some advice from people more experienced who have been there done that and know what they are talking about. From what little i know im guessing it will be some kind of TPU or Nylon or mix of the two.
Looking at that picture those motors look so dinky for the size of the rig.

Honestly i don't know yet, im gonna start a thread in the 3d printing sub section and ask for some advice from people more experienced who have been there done that and know what they are talking about. From what little i know im guessing it will be some kind of TPU or Nylon or mix of the two.
Sounds good.

You’re talking about the chassis side guards? I’d do nylon.

Received my scorched diff locker, which is a thing of beauty, definitely the highest quality component on this build.

diff.PNG

I drilled, tapped and countersunk the chassis with all the extra holes where necessary and built it all up in place. Still a few items away from having it running but getting very close. Will still have to get a filament dryer, some nylon and learn to print with it to redo all the 3d printed parts, but i can at least do a test drive with the PLA to make sure everything works as it should. Still a ton of work to do on the body to get that finished but i will do that last.

PXL_20230401_114703512.MP.jpg

PXL_20230401_114713399.MP.jpg

I threw it on the scales today, no body, no batteries, and she weighed in at 9.1kg which is pretty much bang on 20lbs.
I would love to get some real world weights (I don't entirely trust Arrmas marketing department) for a stock 6s Kraton, a stock 8s Kraton and Heavily modified versions of each, all no body, no batteries. Just to see where they all come in.

Well done. Interesting project. Would love to see some vids of it running.

Would love to see some vids of it running.

If all goes well and i get some time to work on it, I'm hoping to get it running this weekend.

I'm expecting the 6s servosaver arm to break on first collision. As that was the only thing on this build that was really bodged.

And any hope of it wheelieing (as i had at the start of the project) has gone straight out the window. It weighs almost the same as @StephenSchandelmayer 's Goliath with only a fraction of the power.

If all goes well and i get some time to work on it, I'm hoping to get it running this weekend.

I'm expecting the 6s servosaver arm to break on first collision. As that was the only thing on this build that was really bodged.

And any hope of it wheelieing (as i had at the start of the project) has gone straight out the window. It weighs almost the same as @StephenSchandelmayer 's Goliath with only a fraction of the power.
Difference is you have 4 wheels in the back gripping! I hope this thing works good for you I'm very excited to see how it does and what you think after all the work

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back