Puffing lipos while stored??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megafandrew

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Typhon 6s
Ok so I was doing some storage charges the other night to make sure my lipos are ok over the long winter. I noticed 4 of my packs have puffed or seem to be swollen more then usual. I checked the voltages and everything is ok in numbers. basically 2 Turnigy Aspec 6.0 packs feel like they have air trapped in the shrink wrap as I can squish them down by finger. The other 2 are Dynamite hard case and they just look a bit rounded in the center of the pack or when stacking them they don’t sit flat to one another any more. Should I dispose of all 4 based on these findings? I am ok with that just unsure if they are good or not with everything else checking out ok. I’ve attached some pictures you can see the Dynamite hard packs don't sit flat together when stacked but the case is not split or anything. And picture of me depressing the soft pack lipos that feel like air is trapped. Thanks

Attachments

• 8EA64600-DED4-410F-A657-C4A267046E04.jpeg
    8EA64600-DED4-410F-A657-C4A267046E04.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2947E9E0-7D91-40B2-A861-2E5BC2B7411B.jpeg
    2947E9E0-7D91-40B2-A861-2E5BC2B7411B.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 87C1F1EE-CC18-4062-84A9-8BCEF1B3FB8E.jpeg
    87C1F1EE-CC18-4062-84A9-8BCEF1B3FB8E.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 75372F4D-4503-4E49-861D-2BC86BEEFC0D.jpeg
    75372F4D-4503-4E49-861D-2BC86BEEFC0D.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 58
  • FBCA1BC1-B8C1-4307-AC60-5CBA38F2945E.jpeg
    FBCA1BC1-B8C1-4307-AC60-5CBA38F2945E.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 58
I’am NO expert. I had a smaller pack that did this and it freaked me out so I got rid of it. I’m curious as to what is occurring to make this happen...?

I’am NO expert. I had a smaller pack that did this and it freaked me out so I got rid of it. I’m curious as to what is occurring to make this happen...?
Thanks for the insight. Me neither hopefully someone with some knowledge on lipos has a good explanation. I did some research and know that air doesn’t get trapped in a pack but what I don’t understand is that it balance charges fine etc. So then I wonder if they are safe or not haha. But I don’t take chances I toss packs when ever I need to usually. These stumped me. They are stored in a good environment also?

All lithium based batteries gas some as they age. It’s natural. I wouldn’t be too worried. If the voltages all are in safe ranges, I would use as normal.
Thanks for the info. Ya these packs are all getting older. And they have always been balanced charged. I’ll keep a good eye on them. I wanted to keep the ”long“ Turnigy packs as they will fit perfect in a future infraction or limitless purchase ? haha and they have great punch and runtime

You have to storage charge them every time your done running. If you don’t well you see the outcome.
I probally didn’t do that each time just balance charged. Only storage charged over winter. Some are ok just these ones failed Perhaps. Do you think they are usable by description? Voltage and charges are still good

Never store a lipo fully charged, storage charge only. Buy a charger that supports it if yours does not. Puffing is normal, ballooning is not. It's all safe as long as the case does not rupture, risk gets higher with pressure. Highest possible risk for fires is during charging followed by fully charged Lipo. Lowest risk is storage charge. Lipo damage occurs above and below storage levels i. e. avoid long time discharge state as well.

Just get a temp reading after your first run if you care that much. (Or use your finger) if they’re hot than it’s probably a smart idea to put them in a vehicle that doesn’t work them that hard, or ditch them all together. From what you describe though, they should be ok.

Never store a lipo fully charged, storage charge only. Buy a charger that supports it if yours does not. Puffing is normal, ballooning is not. It's all safe as long as the case does not rupture, risk gets higher with pressure. Highest possible risk for fires is during charging followed by fully charged Lipo. Lowest risk is storage charge. Lipo damage occurs above and below storage levels i. e. avoid long time discharge state as well.
I have a feeling mine were charged and then stored one to many times. I’m suprised I didn’t follow this practice of storage charging all the time. Well the good news is all my lipo are storage charged now and I’ll keep doing that for now on. Ya for now they may be alright it’s a slight puffing nothing extreme. Thanks for the input
Run them, they're not that bad, just keep an eye on them.View attachment 63985 These 2 SMC junk packs are puffed and I still run them.
My SMC did the extreme of that after a run and I tossed them to be safe. But ya my dynamite packs hard case are looking like that now!

I had a lipo do this randomly to me, I had it for like 3 months 2 of which it sat is storage, when I went to check on it it looked like this :confused:
3xBAJ0O.jpg

Keep in mind that the ARRMA/Traxxas stock ESC LVC of 3.6V will stress the Lipo and cause damage. It will cause bad IR and result in puffing if you hit that limit. That is true for any Lipo, no matter the manufacturer. There are long threads around that topic and SMC had a series that was prone to damage based on the material used. High performance but couldn't handle that abuse. Not the Lipo fault but improper use which is caused by bad ESC design.
Puffed like @armadillo is showing is considered normal for any Lipo, hard or soft case and only annoying. I have several across different manufacturers despite storage charge. These are plenty old by now (~ 6 years) and still work fine. Not as high performing any longer but always good for trial runs.
Golden Lipo rules for longevity, always storage charge ~ 3.8V and never go below 3.6V, it will damage the Lipo. Don't keep it charged for more that 1-2 days, preferred is always same day use. Buy the one you can afford, try a pack and then buy more or switch.
I have a mix of no-name and brand names. Brand names only if they offer warranty, else it's Amazon special. Don't sweat the puffing but run like hell when it balloons. All about your own comfort level.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back