Radio Range issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same issue...its the antenna. I just called arrma and asked them to send me new because none of my lhs carried the right reciever. I have the fly sky gt2 for my 18t and i haven't been able to bind my atx to it yet... i would get a new reciever and liquid tape that lil guy.

Checking back in... I received a replacement radio and receiver from Hobbico. They sent me an Axial branded AX-3 and AR-3 combo. It looks the same as the Arrma except for stickers, although I see the MSRP is higher... go figure.

I haven't had time to install and test it yet. I should get some time to do that in the next few days.

I do have a couple of questions though:

In the waterproof receiver box near where the antenna tube comes up there is a small set screw. What is it's purpose? If doesn't seem to hold in the tube and I can't figure it out.

Also, Is there a right/wrong way to route the receiver wire out of the waterproof box. I assume I just have to be careful and not pinch it too much, (which is a real possibility in the tight space there is to work with). Does anyone have any advice and or pics of the best way to do this? I just don't want to damage a new receiver.

The small set screw would be used to hold the antenna tube in place, maybe yours has backed away or screwed in to far and damaged the antenna tube?

There really isn't a wrong or right way to install the receiver, just be careful not to pinch the wire as you've already mentioned.

Thanks for the reply WoodiE.

I looked at it last night and figured out that is what the set screw was for. They sent me a new antenna tube with the new receiver and it was longer so I installed it. Whereas the old one used to just pull out this one seems locked in place by the set screw... so perhaps it is just a slightly larger diameter or something. In any case the new receiver is in, bound to the new transmitter and it at least works on the bench. I didn't get to take it out and test for range yet.

Because the old tube was shorter the antenna came out of the top and was bent over under the rubber tube cap. I also suspect that since the tube moved in the mount that it might have been pushed down during a crash and that in turn pinched the antenna at the base as well. The new tube and receiver look much better in those areas and will hopefully resolve my range issues.

I finally got a chance to run my truck last night and I'm happy to report that my radio range issues are resolved!

As luck would have it, Murphy's Law struck again however and now my son's Fury is having the same limited range issues. I'll have to call support for his now as well. Hopefully the process is just as smooth this time around.

I called for my son's truck and Arrma/Hobbico is shipping out a new transmitter. Unfortunately they are out of stock of the receivers and they are not expected to get a shipment until late July. She put in a parts request for me in case one comes in sooner.
Once again the service was great once you get past the hold time and actually get to a support rep. The stock issue is a bit annoying however, but I guess we will make due.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back