Random severe cogging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Otherside

Huh?
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
With the truck off it rolls butter smooth.

Runs completely normal for a bit then it'll bind so hard at low speeds it'll lock up.

Hit the throttle, no issues, then binds up. Gear mesh looks ohk.

Castle XLX2 1100KV combo 34t 39s. Running uncensored.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

With the truck off it rolls butter smooth.

Runs completely normal for a bit then it'll bind so hard at low speeds it'll lock up.

Hit the throttle, no issues, then binds up. Gear mesh looks ohk.

Castle XLX2 1100KV combo 34t 39s. Running uncensored.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
There are a few others here having a similar issue. Mine has been smooth as butter tho.

Using Smartsense makes better sense to me.:LOL:
Going sensored is optional, but with that motor and tall gearing, cogging, even excessive cogging is ineveitable at some point. Without a sensored feedback signal, the ESC gets confused with the motor's phase timing. Just me.

Hmm.

Just swapped out the 39 for the 34 and there was no issues at all.

Running sensorless due to conflicting info. Seems half say it's fine, others say it's not.

I'm still a noob.

Hmm.

Running sensorless due to conflicting info. Seems half say it's fine, others say it's not.

I'm still a noob.
When you run it unsensored the ESC knows nothing about where the rotor is in relation to the stator. Plug in the sensored wire and run it the same way. See if you still get cog.. My money says NOPE!

Hmm.

I'm still a noob.
You normally want a sensored motor for smoothness at low speeds, and a sensorless motor for higher speeds. That's why Smart Sense on Castle ESCs is great: it runs the motor in sensored mode at lower speeds, and changes to sensorless mode at higher speeds. And it's all done automatically.

Sensor cable is plugged in and it's so smooth, you would swear the gears were made from actual sticks of butter.

Thanks guys!! It's whisper quiet too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back