RC Car Motor issue: Intermittent Forward Operation, Smooth Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hossen003

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Help

I'm experiencing an issue with my RC car and hoping someone might have encountered a similar problem or can provide some guidance.

Problem:

1. Forward Operation: When I press the throttle button for forward movement, the motor doesn't operate smoothly. It appears to get stuck intermittently.
  2. Reverse Operation: Interestingly, when I press the throttle button for reverse, the motor runs without any issues and is completely smooth.
Notice the castle serial link device showing a red light when on the toggle switch on beside the ESC. (Should it be green or not?)

Has anyone faced a similar issue or can provide suggestions on what might be causing this and potential fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Help

I'm experiencing an issue with my RC car and hoping someone might have encountered a similar problem or can provide some guidance.

Problem:

1. Forward Operation: When I press the throttle button for forward movement, the motor doesn't operate smoothly. It appears to get stuck intermittently.
  2. Reverse Operation: Interestingly, when I press the throttle button for reverse, the motor runs without any issues and is completely smooth.
Notice the castle serial link device showing a red light when on the toggle switch on beside the ESC. (Should it be green or not?)

Has anyone faced a similar issue or can provide suggestions on what might be causing this and potential fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
Welcome!

All I can add do not own a Castle ESC...

Cover the basics.

• Wire connections to motor/ESC are correct
  • Proper calibration. Not just the receiver. Like with Hobby Wing/Specktrum, etc. there is an ESC calibration for FROWARD, BRAKE, NEUTRAL trigger end points
  • Cogging possible is pinion right for the rig
  • Electronics failure hard one off the bat at times to determine
🤷‍♂️ could all be off target but point verify the basics are all good. Good luck!

Last edited:
When you test the motor, is the Pinion disconnected for testing purposes. If disconnected, and motor spins fine in both directions, then must be a drivetrain issues. All process of elimination.

Advice:
Let us know what exact CC ESC you are running. Some of us here might have the Same ESC and will know more in regards.
I also don't own any CC stuff.
Some ESC issues are general issues common to most different ones, and some are unque to the ESC in hand.

When you test the motor, is the Pinion disconnected for testing purposes. If disconnected, and motor spins fine in both directions, then must be a drivetrain issues. All process of elimination.

Advice:
Let us know what exact CC ESC you are running. Some of us here might have the Same ESC and will know more in regards.
I also don't own any CC stuff.
Some ESC issues are general issues common to most different ones, and some are unque to the ESC in hand.
yes, the pinion gear was disconnected. I have changed the pinion gear and still facing the same problem. I have attached some photos for your reference to understand the model. The model i have used name

MAMBA XLX2, 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC

1000027662.jpg
1000027663.jpg
1000027665.jpg

U Saying motor spins fine in Reverse but coggs horribly in Forw? (y)

Are the 3 motor Phase wires in correct sequence? Is the motor set properly for CC or Clockwise rotation?
Are their contacts clean etc. Connector joints soldered well enough?
Do you have another motor to try? Any BLX motor for testing will do.
Your Zip ties around the ESC are ok to use, just I wouldn't bundle the wiring with them. I would separate them and bundle them away from the ESC with different ties. Not that this is part of your issue. But would be more appropriate.

Try swapping any 2 of the 3 Phase Wires and test it again, tell me what happens.
Are the ESC and motor new stuff?

I had a problem similar to that after I let a six year old play with my Kraton 6s EXB. I solved my problem by resetting the model on my remote (DX5c in this instance). Not sure if that would help and I never did figure out what setting the kid played with.

Perhaps reset the ESC to it's defaults and then Recalibrate the ESC/ Radio.
Also, What are the LED's of the ESC showing when it coggs in Forw.
Could even be the motor? Open it up and give it a close look. Clean out IF necessary, and while you are in there, put a drop of oil on the 2 Motor BB's.
Trying to rule out all the easier seen possibilties. Process of elimination.

Perhaps reset the ESC to it's defaults and then Recalibrate the ESC/ Radio.
Also, What are the LED's of the ESC showing when it coggs in Forw.
Could even be the motor? Open it up and give it a close look. Clean out IF necessary, and while you are in there, put a drop of oil on the 2 Motor BB's.
Trying to rule out all the easier seen possibilties. Process of elimination.
I'm so thankful to you. I've opened the electronics box and checked; my soldering wasn't very good, which could be the reason, I think. But now I plan to solder it again. I have another issue right now: I'm getting two short beeps followed by one long beep from the ESC, which indicates a radio glitch or no signal. As a result, I can't run my RC car. Could you please tell me how to solve the radio glitch or no signal problem? And could you also advise me on how to fix the wiring issue in an easy way?

I think I have that going on in my infraction with an mmx 8s and beeping while on, still drives like a bat out of hell. I was thinking that had to do with logging or something.

The beeping sound can be shut off I believe. I have heard of this before. I don't think it has to do with the performance or operation of the ESC or motor. I don't own any CC ESC's, but read somewhere or seen on YT, it is just a setting issue, an obscure warning or indicator of some type. Something Exclusive to CC ESC's only. Yeah that would drive me crazy, myself. A call to CC might help, if this info is not in the CC manual. Even Search or Google it more. I just stumbled onto this a while back. I just can't remember what the Beeping actually meant. I forgot. Maybe it was in an AF thread somewhere?? If you google it, I see many CC issues show up on AF thread links.

I'm so thankful to you. I've opened the electronics box and checked; my soldering wasn't very good, which could be the reason, I think. But now I plan to solder it again. I have another issue right now: I'm getting two short beeps followed by one long beep from the ESC, which indicates a radio glitch or no signal. As a result, I can't run my RC car. Could you please tell me how to solve the radio glitch or no signal problem? And could you also advise me on how to fix the wiring issue in an easy way?
The beeps mean, either your receiver is not powered at all or it's not getting a signal in the correct frequency. Likely you switched the throttle(yellow+black/red) and aux(white +black/red cables. The yellow one should go to CH2 on the receiver.

With electronics box you mean the receiver box? I hope you haven't been soldering their but mean the connectors on the motor going into the esc...

2 short, 1 long
Check your throttle trim is zero.
You probably followed all the advice above and mucked something up 😉

Beeping at startup is indicating that the log is being erased because it's full. Can be turned off on the PC interface but OK to leave as is.

I'm getting two short beeps followed by one long beep from the ESC, which indicates a radio glitch or no signal.

Make sure your antenna is way from the motor, esc and is mounted correctly.

The radio glitch means it was working and had a problem. This could be related to the erratic throttle.

I had the same problem with my Limitless and the dual antenna Radio Link. I stuck one in the tube and laid the other on the deck. The one on the deck didn't do me any favors and caused noise.

2 short, 1 long
Check your throttle trim is zero.
You probably followed all the advice above and mucked something up 😉

Beeping at startup is indicating that the log is being erased because it's full. Can be turned off on the PC interface but OK to leave as is.
Regarding the Beeping, that is what I was referring to above.
Just I don't see any correlation to the OP's Forw. Cogging issue.(y)

I would have said to remove sensor wire as this is what happens when there is a sensor problem but you're using a spectrum motor 😱

I found out last night my receiver was bad and I had similar issues. Do you have a different receiver to try? If you have another car just get a servo extension wire and plug the esc into the other car (of course that is after you unplugged that cars ESC).

Still, I'm experiencing the following issues given below. The pinion gear was disconnected. The model i have used name
MAMBA XLX2, 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC and Spektrum 1250Kv motor.

1. Wire connection is okay.
2. Motor phrase are connected accurately.

Problem:
Forward Operation: When I press the throttle button for forward movement, the motor doesn't operate smoothly. It appears to get stuck intermittently.
Reverse Operation: Interestingly, when I press the throttle button for reverse, the motor runs without any issues and is completely smooth.

Still, I'm experiencing the following issues given below. The pinion gear was disconnected. The model i have used name

Problem:
Forward Operation: When I press the throttle button for forward movement, the motor doesn't operate smoothly. It appears to get stuck intermittently.
Reverse Operation: Interestingly, when I press the throttle button for reverse, the motor runs without any issues and is completely smooth.
My best guess is 'get stuck intermittently' is actually the braking/reverse
Phases only matter when you run sensored. Maybe switch 2 cables to reverse it (or change the direction in castle like)

It could also be cogging, but that usually isn't noticable running without load (pinion)
If you are sure braking is correct. you could try increasing the motor timing to minimize cogging. Else it's time for a different motor.

Problem:
Have you tried a different receiver? You can’t keep looking in the same place. I had pretty much the same problem, no forward (or extremely jerky) and smooth reverse. Changed the remote to reverse the servo input like you did and reverse runs the car forward just fine. The gremlin was in my expensive spectrum AT6110T receiver. I now use Flysky NB4/Pro and buy $26 8 channel receivers that tell my lipo battery voltage on my remote to two decimal places and have range for days.

If you don’t have an extra receiver or a buddy with another RC, go to a hobby shop and they can help test it out. If you are really slick you will bring a very long servo wire extension so the receivers can stay in place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back