RCs in kit form?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
When I was a kid I built my RC car from a kit which had me assemble it from a couple hundred different pieces, including shocks and all. I really want that same experience for my two boys, but I don't see anyone making RC cars in kit form anymore. Is there anything out there?

My other thought is kind of cruel, but I was thinking about buying whatever kit they want and taking it apart before they get it. I'm not exactly sure how I would do the instructions, but it does occur to me to just videotape me taking it apart, and then have them play it in reverse. LOL.

Check out Tamiya. Lot of options and good for a kid / first build. Good experience and realism, but only so-so performance.

I know people hate the T word around here, but they do have some good kit options. TRX-4 sport, slash.

Lastly, watch facebook marketplace for neglected race rollers. I've purchased a couple cars this way and rebuilt them. Probably my favorite thing to do since it requires more diagnosis/troubleshooting and then piecing together electronics, etc. Online instructions are always thorough. Rewarding final result. Just don't buy something too old.

Edit: I forgot about other crawlers. Enduro kit 2. SCX10.3.

Edit 2: DR10 drag car. SMT10 MT.

Last edited:
My Mugen MGT7 eco was a very good kit to build. Its a great way to learn about the car.
I wouldn't have minded building my Infraction from pieces, (especially with their spotty QC) but that was never an option.

Only the high end stuff is kit form now.
You can also get the Kyosho stuff in kits.
Think someone else mentioned the TLR stuff, didn't that come roller or kit form?

Good on your son, I think it's BS they sell all these things RTR, when I was a kid if you couldn't build it then you didn't deserve the premium stuff lol

I wonder what an Arrma kit would look like. Curious on the cost if they did. Losi makes a LMT that has a kit version, it's only 1/10 but it's brushless and can bash lightly, Grave digger and Sonova Digger bodies what kid doesn't like monster trucks??

Don't know about cars beyond what has been mentioned but for crawlers and monster trucks check out Axial. My wife just built the ryft and the capra looks cool and I know he have a monster truck as well.

Last edited:
Don't know about cars behond what has been mentioned but for crawlers and monster trucks check out Axial. My wife just built the ryft and the capra looks cool and I know he have a monster truck as well.
I second the Ryft, it looks like a good light basher. I used to have a Wraith it was fun but deff not built for rock bouncing vary hard. The monster truck kit Axial has is pretty wimpy Losi makes a better build. It's cheap and on sale right now though so there's that part to consider. I have a Ryft kit I was waiting to build since I needed the electronics but Jenny's took forever to reup, and when they did they sold out super fast and saw a price hike :confused: So I'll now be looking for a setup elsewhere. Need to dye the cage still too, kinda nervous to mess it up I've never used Rit dye.

Only the high end stuff is kit form now.
You can also get the Kyosho stuff in kits.
Think someone else mentioned the TLR stuff, didn't that come roller or kit form?

Good on your son, I think it's BS they sell all these things RTR, when I was a kid if you couldn't build it then you didn't deserve the premium stuff lol

You can buy kits that cost like $50 https://www.amainhobbies.com/orland...wler-kit-f150-pickup-truck-olhoh35p01/p568566

There are a lot of kits available you just have to look for them is all.

This is Amain.

Electric https://www.amainhobbies.com/electric-rc-cars/c7601?fk=26_183&o=LowestPrice&lg=fk26
Nitro https://www.amainhobbies.com/nitro-rc-cars/c7602?fk=26_183&o=LowestPrice&lg=fk26

Tower Hobbies https://www.towerhobbies.com/cars-and-trucks/by-completion-level/kits/?srule=price-low-to-high&sz=96

Horizon Hobby https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-a...evel/kits/?srule=product-name-ascending&sz=96

Check out the tamiya rere kits. Re releases of kits from the 80’s. Super beautiful engineering. Not great performance. But fun builds. Kyosho has some re release kits too.

When I was a kid I built my RC car from a kit which had me assemble it from a couple hundred different pieces, including shocks and all. I really want that same experience for my two boys, but I don't see anyone making RC cars in kit form anymore. Is there anything out there?

My other thought is kind of cruel, but I was thinking about buying whatever kit they want and taking it apart before they get it. I'm not exactly sure how I would do the instructions, but it does occur to me to just videotape me taking it apart, and then have them play it in reverse. LOL.

I know that feeling.. I still remember my first "box of parts" days with the Tamiyas and RC10...

Well, depending on how old your boys are currently and if they have the patience..
You could do exactly that!
Get the Arrma Granite Voltage Mega. They come with everything you need - truck, remote, batteries for $120
(amazon)

Perfect for little kids AND easy on your wallet.
Go ahead & take it all apart before you give them to your boys, and show them this interactive diagram
(see if they are capable of putting everything back together) >

https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/arad09rl-granite-voltage/chassis.html

It's a good challenge, but not super hard. AND it'll keep them busy for a whole weekend or so.. (Plus give you a chance to get familiar with the truck also.)
Your boys will feel extremely proud once they get it all re-assembled and running.
Great memories for sure. 👍

Or, if they are a bit older and ready for More Power.. Consider the Arrma Senton BLX 3S $370 (amazon)

Here's its interactive diagram >
https://www.astramodel.cz/en/eview/ara102668-senton-3s-blx/chassis.html

Last edited:
My introduction to this hobby was with a Tamiya buggy kit in the 70's. I think I was 7 or 8.
At that age, my patience level was at an all time low. I sat next to my dad and watched him build it for what felt like years.
It had a servo for the speed controller and it all fit into this waterproof clear box.
Dad painted the buggy body with gold paint, and a transparent candy red on top. Looked amazing.

Its maiden run, it went 20 feet forward then when he tried to brake, the speed servo arm must have gotten stuck on the top of the waterproof box and it got stuck going full speed in reverse down the street, dad trying his best to control backwards steering, she goes under a Chrysler, hit the differential housing, then the back wheel and completely obliterated in what looked to be a lot more pieces than which it came.
Was totally disheartening for both of us, but we pressed on with RC.

Here I am 50'ish years later still racing, crashing and fixing RC's, but now at triple the speeds we started out at.
And my dad (86) is out on Freedom Lake in Florida right now with his buddies racing his 1 meter RC sailboats.
I'm guessing he's over the whole build ,race, crash and fix faze.
He just races and tunes. I'm guessing I'll be at that stage too soon enough.

The moral of the story is, I think from building an RC car from a kit, we learned its more than just throwing in batteries and pulling the trigger,
its an accomplishment, and a level of respect for the Car you wouldn't normally have.
Plus when you crash it, you know a lot better what piece goes to what. lol

Tamiya, MST, Kyosho, Losi, Axial...these are just a few off the top of my head. There arent any "arrma strong" bashers available as kits as far as I'm aware...the ones I listed above are touring cars and crawlers or monster trucks.

Tamiya, MST, Kyosho, Losi, Axial...these are just a few off the top of my head. There arent any "arrma strong" bashers available as kits as far as I'm aware...the ones I listed above are touring cars and crawlers or monster trucks.
Tekno MT410?

I do like the look of the MT410. Looks the beefiest of all the kits I've seen. Thank you all so much for the help. :) It might be a while, but I'll post up here if and when my boys get something built.
So what did you get ? I'm looking at the Losi Lmt. I have Kraton, and switch parts for Outcast &Typhon and an old Tamiya Dt02 brushless castle powered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back